Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] GoPro HERO8 Black (Base) $429.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 7:39 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 25, 2016
12 posts
17 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] GoPro HERO8 Black (Base) $429.99

Images
  • Hero8Base.jpg
  • Hero8 Bundle_.jpg
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1521 posts
1542 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Jesus these things are still $500? Does it have features that make it substantially better than the Yi 4K?

Edit: apparently some image manipulation stuff. But CNET recommends the Hero 7 Black which is almost feature identical and currently on sale on Amazon for $330.
Costco has the 7 with extras for $299.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14796 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
soupmaster666 wrote: Jesus these things are still $500? Does it have features that make it substantially better than the Yi 4K?

Edit: apparently some image manipulation stuff. But CNET recommends the Hero 7 Black which is almost feature identical and currently on sale on Amazon for $330.
the stabilization on the 7 and the 8 is a game changer over other cams, The 8 is even better than the 7 in that regard. If you consider the stabilization on the 7 as very good, then the 8 would be excellent. Other cams like the $300 Dji Action are very good too and are a good alternative.

You get what you pay for. Arguably few people need something as good as the 7 and 8 but you do get something for your money, it's actually amazing how well it works. Look up some of the test footage on youtube testing various cams

The 7 at its current price is probably the sweet spot for many
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3732 posts
3741 upvotes
Alberta
I have the hero 7 and 8 black. The stabilization is indeed a game changer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5475 posts
4150 upvotes
Vancouver
I've read a lot about freezing issues on the 7. I used an 8 extensively on a trip to Japan in February.. it worked flawlessly.

One advantage the 7 does have over the 8 is the replaceable lens.

Ron.
Member
Jan 19, 2013
327 posts
311 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Jesus these things are still $500? Does it have features that make it substantially better than the Yi 4K?

Edit: apparently some image manipulation stuff. But CNET recommends the Hero 7 Black which is almost feature identical and currently on sale on Amazon for $330.
go pro picture quality is much better than yi 4k .. ( I think Osmo action might be a worthy competitor ).. yi 4k is definitely not ( they do have a newer model called yi 4k+ , which I did not check the video but yi 4k and go pro compared side by side and go pro is much better ).. go pro 7 vs 8 has been discussed in detail in other threads here , you can refer to the earlier costco deals thread on gopro for more details ..
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2001
1860 posts
61 upvotes
Sudbury
anindyabecs wrote: go pro picture quality is much better than yi 4k .. ( I think Osmo action might be a worthy competitor ).. yi 4k is definitely not ( they do have a newer model called yi 4k+ , which I did not check the video but yi 4k and go pro compared side by side and go pro is much better ).. go pro 7 vs 8 has been discussed in detail in other threads here , you can refer to the earlier costco deals thread on gopro for more details ..
I just picked up the Osmo Action for $335 CDN shipped. It's on for $229US till end of day. All taxes are included in the price with DJI but I was charged $12 shipping.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14796 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
soupmaster666 wrote: Jesus these things are still $500? Does it have features that make it substantially better than the Yi 4K?
Here's an example of 7 compared to Yi 4K+ with stabilization on.



The 7 does an amazing job versus EIS on the Yi +

(the 8 even takes it a step further)

Note that the Yi can't use stabilization in 4k 60 modes, the 8 can do it in every mode it supports.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Member
Dec 12, 2009
404 posts
205 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: Costco has the 7 with extras for $299.
it is odd that the reviews on the costco website are so negative. people are returning them and someone said the packaging is different too. wonder if costcos are refurbised even though you wouldn't think that they would do something so underhanded.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14796 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
starbuckscoffee wrote: it is odd that the reviews on the costco website are so negative. people are returning them and someone said the packaging is different too. wonder if costcos are refurbised even though you wouldn't think that they would do something so underhanded.
Don't be silly, it's not going to be refurbished.

Costco is such a big retailer and that bundle was probably supplied especially for them from Gopro. Costco even has unique models of other electronics not sold anywhere else.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Newbie
Jan 24, 2016
72 posts
103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have the 7 and it’s never frozen in me and I use it A LOT.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5588 posts
3900 upvotes
starbuckscoffee wrote: it is odd that the reviews on the costco website are so negative. people are returning them and someone said the packaging is different too. wonder if costcos are refurbised even though you wouldn't think that they would do something so underhanded.
bought a Dell refurb computer at Costco, many years ago. It was clearly stated that it was a refurb item in the description
Newbie
Jan 31, 2006
87 posts
50 upvotes
Good price for the Hero8, I think the cheapest it was last time on sale was around $469
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1676 posts
410 upvotes
Mississauga
Lush78 wrote: I have the hero 7 and 8 black. The stabilization is indeed a game changer.
isn't it just EIS? can't you do it in post using warp stabilizer?
Member
May 10, 2016
338 posts
447 upvotes
markthomas594 wrote: I have the 7 and it’s never frozen in me and I use it A LOT.
I got a 7 and it froze on the first time I went to review a hyperlapse I'd made. I think the key is the SD card though. I was waiting for the Samsung EVO card to show up so I stuck a cheapo card in temporarily and saw some issues. I'm expecting it to be better now that I've swapped the card but I haven't had time to test yet. FYI the gopro website has a list of compatible cards.
Newbie
Jan 24, 2016
72 posts
103 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Solarisphere wrote: I got a 7 and it froze on the first time I went to review a hyperlapse I'd made. I think the key is the SD card though. I was waiting for the Samsung EVO card to show up so I stuck a cheapo card in temporarily and saw some issues. I'm expecting it to be better now that I've swapped the card but I haven't had time to test yet. FYI the gopro website has a list of compatible cards.
I use a 64 GB sandisk extreme pro v30 class 3 card.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Extreme-M ... B07G3GMRYF

Top