[Amazon Canada] Grill Pro BBQ chimney starter 9.99 ADD-ON

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2019 4:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2006
137 posts
84 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Grill Pro BBQ chimney starter 9.99 ADD-ON

Just got me a Weber Smokey Joe and looking for a good deal on chimney starter.
Good reviews except for one that complains about how the finish looks once you use it...lol...probably thought it would stay shiny forever...duh :)
40 replies
Mar 15, 2005
483 posts
226 upvotes
In my experience using a chimney is the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get your charcoal grill up to temp. 1-2 peices of newspaper crumpled up underneath and your coals are glowing in no time at all
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1971 posts
1582 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
captqbec wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 6:01 am
Just got me a Weber Smokey Joe and looking for a good deal on chimney starter.
Good reviews except for one that complains about how the finish looks once you use it...lol...probably thought it would stay shiny forever...duh :)
You could always spray it with high temp BBQ paint. Like the rustuliem BBQ paint and after it dries do a heat bake while starting your charcoal.

If space is an issue (Weber go anywhere or smaller grills) here is something to consider. https://www.amazon.ca/Outset-76356-Coll ... 9AEW9CC99D

A folding charcoal starter which also can double as a side stove/grill. Now you can carry more charcoal inside the BBQ.

Don't forget to mod the Weber Smokey Joe

-with a thermometer

-pending which model you have mod 2 or 4 sliding air vents or under grill air vent for more air flow

-add a snap on lid handle

-cut your cooking surface grill 70/30 or 60/40 so you can add charcoal without removing the grill.

-add a mount by the top air or bottom holes to add a computer fan to add forced air in with a battery pack
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1971 posts
1582 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
discoblues wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:00 am
In my experience using a chimney is the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get your charcoal grill up to temp. 1-2 peices of newspaper crumpled up underneath and your coals are glowing in no time at all
Spray a little cooking oil on the newspaper as a flame extender.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2005 posts
1349 upvotes
Ottawa
I have this chimney. Got it when Home Depot was clearing them out for just over $9. It works ok, but I would suggest drilling some holes with a 1/2" drill bit in the charcoal basket area to allow more air flow. It helps light the charcoals much faster.
Jul 14, 2008
780 posts
891 upvotes
Montreal
this can work amazingly well to sear steak if you don't want to fire up your charcoal bbq. just start the charcoal up, and put a grill on top and sear what you need
Mar 19, 2007
213 posts
25 upvotes
they have a grillpro charcoal chimney on clearance right now at homedepot also. seems like its a diff model though, has a wood handle. same price.
Oct 31, 2010
402 posts
210 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the Weber one and a friend has one very similar to this. We both lit ours up at the same time and the Weber one got the coals up to temp about 75% quicker than the other one. He drilled some holes in the side in a similar pattern to what the Weber one had and it got hotter much quicker after that.
Aug 12, 2018
43 posts
19 upvotes
Is this one the same or similar quality as the weber one?
May 30, 2016
122 posts
165 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sman06 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 1:39 pm
Is this one the same or similar quality as the weber one?
No. But it's also less than half the price. Unless you bbq a lot I would just get this one.
Sep 19, 2012
328 posts
157 upvotes
Kitchener
While we are on the topic of charcoal...

I bought that Weber Kettle from the deal several months ago but I've learned that lighting charcoal can put out ALOT of smoke, and combine that with townhouse living and I don't wanna make my neighbours pissed off at me every time I grill.

Anyone else in the same predicament, and what do you do to reduce the smoke? Is it just the charcoal I'm using (KBB)?
May 30, 2016
122 posts
165 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Nothing you can do to reduce the smoke other than lighting fewer charcoals. Once lit in the chimney you can toss them on the unlit ones in your kettle, cover your kettle with the lid and open all vents to the max. Eventually you'll start getting a clear blueish smoke that has less creosote (the white smoke that makes things taste more acrid).

Could also just use a blow torch to light fewer charcoal that will start the other charcoal. It's obviously much slower than lighting a full chimney worth of charcoal and tossing it in the kettle.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2006
137 posts
84 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:10 am
You could always spray it with high temp BBQ paint. Like the rustuliem BBQ paint and after it dries do a heat bake while starting your charcoal.

If space is an issue (Weber go anywhere or smaller grills) here is something to consider. https://www.amazon.ca/Outset-76356-Coll ... 9AEW9CC99D

A folding charcoal starter which also can double as a side stove/grill. Now you can carry more charcoal inside the BBQ.

Don't forget to mod the Weber Smokey Joe

-with a thermometer

-pending which model you have mod 2 or 4 sliding air vents or under grill air vent for more air flow

-add a snap on lid handle

-cut your cooking surface grill 70/30 or 60/40 so you can add charcoal without removing the grill.

-add a mount by the top air or bottom holes to add a computer fan to add forced air in with a battery pack
...yep! thx a bunch bud...will do :)
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1440 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
What's the benefit of the more expensive ones (Weber) over this one?