I have an excuse to bbq daily after I bought the pack
Thanks op
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2273 posts
63 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:10 am
You could always spray it with high temp BBQ paint. Like the rustuliem BBQ paint and after it dries do a heat bake while starting your charcoal.

If space is an issue (Weber go anywhere or smaller grills) here is something to consider. https://www.amazon.ca/Outset-76356-Coll ... 9AEW9CC99D

A folding charcoal starter which also can double as a side stove/grill. Now you can carry more charcoal inside the BBQ.

Don't forget to mod the Weber Smokey Joe

-with a thermometer

-pending which model you have mod 2 or 4 sliding air vents or under grill air vent for more air flow

-add a snap on lid handle

-cut your cooking surface grill 70/30 or 60/40 so you can add charcoal without removing the grill.

-add a mount by the top air or bottom holes to add a computer fan to add forced air in with a battery pack
any links to tutorials for these mods?
Dec 2, 2014
309 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary, AB
had this since prime day, its a lil hard to get coals started with just paper, i added some twigs and pine cones that i find on the ground to make the flames last longer.

as the previous posters said, there aren't enough holes at the bottom, I'm going to drill some when I get home
Nov 22, 2014
106 posts
57 upvotes
Unionville, ON
some paper towel with vegtable oil works better for me.
Dec 2, 2014
309 posts
259 upvotes
Calgary, AB
reyoasian wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 4:19 pm
What's the benefit of the more expensive ones (Weber) over this one?
the more expensive one has cone shaped steel wires to hole up the charcoal, allows for more flames and heat to travel to the charcoals. this one has a flat metal sheet bottom with several holes, as the other recommended, you should drill some smaller holes around to make it heat up faster
Aug 20, 2006
768 posts
128 upvotes
I bought chimney starter two year ago from Dollorama, 4 dollars.
Should check their first before you place the order.
Mar 8, 2008
214 posts
144 upvotes
gatineau
reyoasian wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 4:19 pm
What's the benefit of the more expensive ones (Weber) over this one?
this cheap type will not last. may only last one season.

the weber version will last and last, even after having left it outside very often. also has an extra handle for easier tipping control and superior heat shielding.

i've gone through 2 of the cheap ones over 4 years. I've had the weber one for 6 years. much like the kettle bbq's, they are very well built.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1104 posts
84 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:10 am
You could always spray it with high temp BBQ paint. Like the rustuliem BBQ paint and after it dries do a heat bake while starting your charcoal.

If space is an issue (Weber go anywhere or smaller grills) here is something to consider. https://www.amazon.ca/Outset-76356-Coll ... 9AEW9CC99D

A folding charcoal starter which also can double as a side stove/grill. Now you can carry more charcoal inside the BBQ.

Don't forget to mod the Weber Smokey Joe

-with a thermometer

-pending which model you have mod 2 or 4 sliding air vents or under grill air vent for more air flow

-add a snap on lid handle

-cut your cooking surface grill 70/30 or 60/40 so you can add charcoal without removing the grill.

-add a mount by the top air or bottom holes to add a computer fan to add forced air in with a battery pack
I dont recommend painting it, even with heat temp paint as you dont want any chance of contaminating the coals.
I got this last month with as an add on too but haven't used it yet since I already have a Weber chimney. I like this one because theres a slot for an electric coal starter that I bought on Amazon for $22. Paper is messy. This is made in USA so I have high Hope's for it.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1980 posts
1589 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
TehRFDAnomaly wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 4:42 pm
In for 1, albeit a bit late in the season. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
It's NEVER late to BBQ. BBQ/grilling is a year round thing.

Tho in the winter you will use more charcoal so stock up on charcoal.

If you are lucky to live in a house with trees around then take cut branches and cut them to small 5-6" mini log sizes and let them dry or just collect some off the curb when someone puts some out or check craigslist/kijiji after every windstorm. You can extend your charcoal use by using the wood coals burned down.

If you know any gardeners or have a garden yourself then you can sprinkle a little of the wood ash on the lawn to add nutrients back into the lawn/garden.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2006
153 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
freshcurl wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 7:52 pm
some paper towel with vegtable oil works better for me.
yep...absolutely...is so easy this way :)
[OP]
Jun 16, 2006
153 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:35 pm
It's NEVER late to BBQ. BBQ/grilling is a year round thing.

Tho in the winter you will use more charcoal so stock up on charcoal.

If you are lucky to live in a house with trees around then take cut branches and cut them to small 5-6" mini log sizes and let them dry or just collect some off the curb when someone puts some out or check craigslist/kijiji after every windstorm. You can extend your charcoal use by using the wood coals burned down.

If you know any gardeners or have a garden yourself then you can sprinkle a little of the wood ash on the lawn to add nutrients back into the lawn/garden.
yep! 100%...!

BBQ on! lol :)
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1980 posts
1589 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
danned wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 4:47 pm
I have an excuse to bbq daily after I bought the pack
Thanks op

You might want to look into www.fireboxstove.com and look at the 5" firebox stove gen 2 which helps save on charcoal use in the long run and use the Weber for doing larger portions of things.

I have the adjustable grill plate and when I am just doing some kabobs for myself a handful of charcoal can do about 7-8 kabobs on a wind free day.

Tho the 14" Weber is the perfect 1-2 person size grill for general purpose IMHO. The bottom charcoal grill however makes it more suited for briquettes or large chunks of lump coal however if you were to buy another bottom grill and lay over the bottom # you can handle smaller pieces of lump coal.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
[OP]
Jun 16, 2006
153 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
thedealhunter2000 wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 4:44 pm
You might want to look into www.fireboxstove.com and look at the 5" firebox stove gen 2 which helps save on charcoal use in the long run and use the Weber for doing larger portions of things.

I have the adjustable grill plate and when I am just doing some kabobs for myself a handful of charcoal can do about 7-8 kabobs on a wind free day.

Tho the 14" Weber is the perfect 1-2 person size grill for general purpose IMHO. The bottom charcoal grill however makes it more suited for briquettes or large chunks of lump coal however if you were to buy another bottom grill and lay over the bottom # you can handle smaller pieces of lump coal.
...you suggesting another bottom grill laid down cross-ways to handle smaller coals...?

...hmmmm