[Amazon.ca] Hisense 55Q8G- 55" Smart 4K ULED for $598.00

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2021 4:22 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
4 posts
9 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Hisense 55Q8G- 55" Smart 4K ULED for $598.00

This deal has been down before at this price, I’m not sure if this a mistake, but I would take advantage before it changes. Perhaps price match at vision electronics as well. Good ratings
Last edited by Mars2012 on Feb 28th, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed link
39 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
2009 posts
457 upvotes
I got this one the last time around and loving the TV. The Android TV is actually pretty quick for a built-in one. I would say faster than my Xiaomi Mi Box 3S. The colour is really good overall and HDR seems to be nice.

The ONLY real downside to this TV is the VESA mounting on the back. I tried use a universal bracket I had lying around but the bottom half of the TV does get in the way (it's slightly raised compare to the rest of the back). You can fix this by getting some 3rd party screws that are longer or finding a VESA mount that's exactly 300x200 (I believe this is the size but I haven't really be able to shop around for one). In the end, I ended up not wall mounting. It does have nice cable management that's part of the feet which is nice.
Last edited by Chocolinx on Feb 28th, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4618 posts
2717 upvotes
Chocolinx wrote: I got this one the last time around and loving the TV. The Android TV is actually pretty quick for a built-in one. I would say faster than my Xiaomi Mi Box 3S. The colour is really good overall and HDR seems to be nice.
Same. Android TV way better than Samsung's UI, which....Has McDonald's ads. My TV that costs over $2000 has built in ads....
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1599 posts
913 upvotes
Langley
Wow that’s cheap! It’s a fantastic TV but just like the 5 series, it suffers from PQ issues (well documented online)... I returned mine due to some banding that was crazy obvious in the games I play frequently but the local dimming and brightness were incredible!!! The colour out of the box was no phenomenal but not terrible either. This is a better buy over the TCL 5 series in my opinion. Also, the HisenseCA handle on Reddit is amazing for assisting with any issues.

Also second the VESA mounting, it’s at the bottom of the TV in an awkward position but with a plastic spacer in most VESA kits it was fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
18386 posts
20970 upvotes
I'm a bit of a math wizard, so I built this complex inequality to explain the relationships between TVs.

TCL 6-Series (2020) > Hisense Q8G > TCL 5-Series (2020)

LG OLED > Hisense Q9G (H9G) > * (save certain exceptions)

The OP TV is a great value for money, solid buy, just like the last time it went on sale.

Carry on, gents.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2005 posts
1342 upvotes
Ottawa
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm a bit of a math wizard, so I built this complex inequality to explain the relationships between TVs.

TCL 6-Series (2020) > Hisense Q8G > TCL 5-Series (2020)

LG OLED > Hisense Q9G (H9G) > * (save certain exceptions)

The OP TV is a great value for money, solid buy, just like the last time it went on sale.

Carry on, gents.
What's the equivalent Samsung/LG/Sony to the 2020 TCL 5 and 6?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1570 posts
372 upvotes
Make sure to add Asurion 5-Year Protection Plan for CDN$ 115.99.
Mar 7, 2006
468 posts
201 upvotes
58" model is showing $478
Mar 7, 2006
468 posts
201 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Wrong model, friend. It's one or two steps down from the OP TV in quality.
Good to know, thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7270 posts
2106 upvotes
T dot 6
Looks like this deal is dead. It was alive a few hours ago.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4618 posts
2717 upvotes
saku wrote: Make sure to add Asurion 5-Year Protection Plan for CDN$ 115.99.
I'm not too sure about paying $115 for a $600 TV. Even at it's worst, 1 year warranty + 1 more year credit card warranty, in year 3 i would just save that $115 and put towards a nicer TV, by then this TV would probably be cheaper like $499 with better Android TV (built in Stadia, faster, slicker).

With these China-brands, they're fantastic quality but the element of panel lottery comes down to how well their customer service is.
Jan 1, 2021
38 posts
26 upvotes
Deal was dead but thanks OP. Now I have a alternative for tcl 5 series with better brightness and build quality and narrow or wide feet option.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3001 posts
1195 upvotes
Lethbridge
Here's hoping the 65 gets the same treatment soon... Their 8G has been on my radar for a while.
Dec 12, 2014
14 posts
Burnaby, BC
How is amazon.ca with delivery, returns for TVs?
Apr 30, 2008
605 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
I've got the 50". I'm trying to think what else I can tell people about this TV they can't already find on rtings. I've got a Sony A8H OLED and a Panasonic last gen plasma as reference points.

1) No Apple TV+ app. For those looking to ditch their 4K firestick or other attached streaming device, think twice. No word yet on when Hisense will get the app. Currently none of the Hisense TVs have Apple TV+ app, based on Apple's supported device website. Sadly I still have to plug in my firestick for Apple TV+ which sucks because the power cord isn't long enough for me to hide, and it's yet another remote controller I need lying around. (wonder if the USB port on the TV will power the firestick...??)
2) Blooming - imo it's not bad, compared to some of my past FALD TVs I've had. If you're a casual viewer, you're likely not going to notice or care much, and it's really only noticeable when the screen is largely all black and less so in most normal content. To me a non-issue, but it's there. That said, on the flip side...
3) Black levels - really deep black levels thanks to the FALD I imagine. Netflix loading screen is inky black and it's hard to tell if the TV is even on in a pitch black room, so colour me impressed. Contrast levels are nice and brightness is good. I was surprised the blacks were noticeably blacker than my Panny plasma to my naked eye, so that was a nice surprise. Of course it can't compare in contrast or black levels to the OLED, but for the price of this Hisense, I'm thoroughly pleased with the black levels and general picture quality.

Overall I'm very happy with this set. I've not noticed any banding issues, DSE, or any other general weirdness to the TV, but I'm also not going out looking for banding issues, because once you see them, you can't unsee them. I guess I got lucky with the panel lottery on this TV. Also yeah the panel on the back of the TV isn't flush where the VESA mounting holes are, so you'll need different sized spacers in order for your mount to install properly, but I don't see that as an issue. Any decent wall mount is going to include a good number of spacers of different sizes, so installation shouldn't be an issue. Nothing that can't be easily fixed with a $5 trip to Home Depot if it comes to that.

I also wanted to chime in on that whole Q9G vs. Q8G post, but if you're in the market for a more budget TV like this Q8G, I think you'd be very happy with the set, so long as you don't mind the panel lottery thing. The Q9 is a big step up in price (like double no?), and at that point, there's lots more to consider and customers at that price point are likely more picky and opinionated. At this lower price point, I'm very happy with this set, and that's coming from an actual OLED owner. It's incredible the type of picture quality you can buy at this price point these days.

If you're buying from Costco, this is a no-brainer because the returns are hassle free in case you lose the panel lottery, otherwise the risk will be there for other merchants.

Good luck and enjoy!
Sep 7, 2006
961 posts
647 upvotes
For those of you who missed out, don't be sad. This tv has horrible motion handling, blooming, banding and the android tv/tvUI on it is terrible. You all did yourself a favor keeping your money in your pocket. I bought and returned in less than a week.