• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 8:42 am
[OP]
Aug 30, 2019
815 posts
634 upvotes
Brampton

[Amazon.ca] Honeywell smart thermostat $144.49

Not sure if its good deal. Let me know and i will delete this post. 42% off. $104.26 off

Honeywell RTH9585WF1004/W Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat, Alexa Enabled, (RTH9585WF1004), Pack of 1, Gray

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075BF6V58/ref ... YEbMPWFKDC
16 replies
Sep 1, 2008
354 posts
409 upvotes
Thanks OP.

If you value function over form but finds the Ecobee too expensive, go for this one instead of the Nest, which provides mostly "bling" value and not much else feature-wise. And lately they even managed to introduce bugs that make it even more irritating.
Nov 2, 2007
202 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
I have an older Honeywell wifi thermostat. It's totally fine and gets the job done. I can access it while away or in bed and adjust the temp if needed. It does what it's supposed to do. It's not fancy but it works...

Spend more if you want something fancy but I think all it needs to do work from a phone - which it does.

So I'm not sure if this is a good deal but I would go with a trusted HVAC brand any day over nest or ecobee.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13653 posts
7347 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No room sensors like Ecobee. The sensors detect temp and occupancy. Depending on the control setting, for example if you spend a lot of time in your cool basement, or hot upstairs bedroom yet your control unit is on the main floor, you don't have to fiddle with your phone or call out Alexa/Google to adjust the temp:
When Follow Me mode is enabled your thermostat:

Takes the temperature and occupancy readings from each of the sensors participating in the scheduled Comfort Setting.
Ranks them according to wh­ere you’re spending the most time.
Based on the rankings, calculates the optimal home temperature for the active Comfort Setting.
https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... ting#setup
Apr 12, 2013
570 posts
475 upvotes
BC
I've previously hammered Honeywell wifi stats for poor connectivity, but have to say their platform has improved greatly. Still swapped for a nest.
Apr 26, 2010
93 posts
28 upvotes
j2w2c7
Badder wrote: Thanks OP.

If you value function over form but finds the Ecobee too expensive, go for this one instead of the Nest, which provides mostly "bling" value and not much else feature-wise. And lately they even managed to introduce bugs that make it even more irritating.
Which bugs?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3229 posts
4703 upvotes
Langley, BC
I had the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat for a year, then bought the Nest 3rd gen. 2 weeks later I switched back to the Honeywell. The Nest just wasn't accurate with the temperature compared to this one.
May 24, 2020
3 posts
Does anyone know if I have radiant floor heating with multiple zones would I need 1 smart thermostat or 1 for each zone?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 24, 2013
867 posts
3661 upvotes
MILTON
i believe this is a good deal.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
2060 posts
648 upvotes
I've had a similar Honeywell thermostat for the past couple years, no complaints. Like the look of this over a Nest.
Oct 22, 2006
637 posts
275 upvotes
I have a Honeywell T9 which has options or remote room sensors like the ecobee. I have had no issues with it and has worked great. Works with Google Voice as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1506 posts
474 upvotes
Can I get $75 back from Endbridge?
Oct 11, 2006
331 posts
60 upvotes
I had this thermostat before. Works well function wise, no issue. I eventually switched to Honeywell T9 because of the option to add room sensors, which greatly improved the ability to regulate the temperature throughout the house depending on the time of day. It also works well with Alexa, although it is a bit annoying that Alexa can only give the temperate in fahrenheit and there is nothing I can do in 'setting' to change that.
Jan 22, 2009
386 posts
39 upvotes
do these come with the c wire adapter like nest/ecobee? can't find this info
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11791 posts
1527 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad this doesn't seem to support multi-speed fans. I live in a condo and my fan coil unit has a 3-speed fan.
Oct 11, 2005
859 posts
1636 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Pretty decent deal! Walmart.ca had a very similar model (RTH9580WF) on clearance for $120 last year, which I got. Since this is the RTH9585WF, it's probably pretty similar.

It works well. It's not as "smart" as I wished... only thing it offers over a conventional programmable wall thermostat is control/visibility from my smart phone. It doesn't have occupancy sensor, which might make sense (e.g. "I'm programmed M-F to drop temp during the day, but I sense that someone is working-from-home, so I'll adapt"). Since this does source outside temperature and displays it, I wish it was a bit "smarter" in that it would use this information to determine whether to heat/cool pre-emptively. I haven't figured out a good way to integrate it with IFTTT, but apparently there's support for that...
tokinup wrote: do these come with the c wire adapter like nest/ecobee? can't find this info
The 9580 didn't come with an adapter, so I presume this doesn't either. In my case, I didn't have any extra wires, but found I could source a ground from a nearby outlet, and got my thermostat working that way. If i remember correctly, the "C" is a common (return path) wire, so usually a common ground through the house will mean using a ground wire should work. If you have "spare" (unused) wires between the furnace and thermostat, and "C" isn't connected, you can hook up a wire to the furnace's "C" which is generally grounded. I think adapters simply allow you to power the thermostat by providing a 24VAC source from a nearby 120VAC outlet, instead of powering off the furnace.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2291 posts
922 upvotes
Received today and thank you. I had originally purchased the Nest for twice as much but this was too good to pass up. Funny part is the nest is lost in transit and this has arrived in less than a week. Very simple to set up and took me about 30 minutes to have it fully functional with the App.