• Dec 6th, 2016 6:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19504 posts
4651 upvotes
Thornhill

[Amazon.ca] HooToo Wi-Fi Compact Router $9.99

$9.99 Router, 2x ethernet ports (10/100), 802.11n compact router. It doesn't have gigabit lan.

Not too many reviews, even less on the US site: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-HooToo- ... 718&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LYS ... 79FQ&psc=1

Smaller But Better

We all know that size doesn’t always matter and the same applies to this miniature Wi-Fi router that features an extremely compact build but has no trouble taking on the big dogs of the network sphere. Packing the same specs of bigger routers in a much smaller form, the HT-ND006 takes up barely no room on your furniture and keeps a very discreet profile when hanging onto a wall for a better signal.

Wireless N 300Mbps Speed That Gets It Done
It won’t be written anywhere in the user manual but what this 802.11n Wi-Fi router does best is to get things done. The wireless N network provides a solid 300Mbps speed that’ll let you stream your favorite HD videos, play online games, and tackle all the daily tasks with no hiccups whatsoever.

Foolproof Design To Plug & Surf
Not everybody is a rocket scientist when it comes to Wi-Fi connectivity and the good news is that you don’t need to be one to use this portable router and surf the web as much as you want. The easy setup of the router and it’s LED indicators that display all main functions make it ideal for those who look for an easy way to stay connected without the nuisance and time the extra maintenance takes.

Full Protections For Safer Browsing
When browsing from smart devices and PCs, who knows how much personal information we give out every day. The last thing you want is that this information ends up in the wrong hands. With MAC address & client filtering, remote web management, and the parental control function, you’ll have full control on what devices are authorized to access your network as well as what websites your kids can access or not for their own sake.

What’s In the Box:
• 1 x HooToo Compact 802.11n Wi-Fi Router (HT-ND006) • 1 x Ethernet Cable • 1 x Charger • 1 x User Guide
9 replies
Apr 18, 2008
449 posts
613 upvotes
BC
What is the benefit of this other than it being the most adorable router I've ever seen? It seems crippled in every way.
Mar 7, 2011
144 posts
61 upvotes
Seems like a great deal, but not quite as portable as some of their other offerings. I have the hootoo trip mate nano and have been happy with it.
Apr 11, 2003
648 posts
128 upvotes
Edmonton
Not to point out the obvious, but how does a device that only has 10/100 LAN ports provide 300mbit/sec 802.11N Speed?

In any event, if you're looking for a compact travel router, I'd HIGHLY recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Travel-Po ... router+usb

Unlike the Asus WL-330NUL it appears to be identical to, the Edimax actually shows up with the drivers automatically (the Asus needs a firmware upgrade usually to get there). It can be a:
* USB to ethernet adapter for your PC
* USB to wifi adapter for your PC
* WiFi to Ethernet based bridge (connect your PC ethernet to it, and from there WIFi to a hotspot somewhere)
* WiFi to Ethernet based router (plug it into some LAN, it gets an internal IP from there and NAT's you out behind it)
* WiFi or Ethernet to AP - letting your wifi clients it hit, and then get on the network.

I use this a lot in server rooms, plug it into any USB port (most switches and servers work just fine) and boom, wifi to the rack, and I can go sit in an office and not stand in the server room. Also great for travelling if you are in a hotel or something that limits the number of devices (2 people, 2 laptops, 2 phones and a tablet, often is well over a "2 device limit") - just let this be your room's router to the hotel WiFi, and you're golden.

I know I sound like a shill, but it's so infrequently I put something in my toolbox that I really like this much. And someone said "compact router", but I think this wins :)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1665 posts
240 upvotes
Alberta
netwise wrote: Not to point out the obvious, but how does a device that only has 10/100 LAN ports provide 300mbit/sec 802.11N Speed?

In any event, if you're looking for a compact travel router, I'd HIGHLY recommend this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Travel-Po ... router+usb

Unlike the Asus WL-330NUL it appears to be identical to, the Edimax actually shows up with the drivers automatically (the Asus needs a firmware upgrade usually to get there). It can be a:
* USB to ethernet adapter for your PC
* USB to wifi adapter for your PC
* WiFi to Ethernet based bridge (connect your PC ethernet to it, and from there WIFi to a hotspot somewhere)
* WiFi to Ethernet based router (plug it into some LAN, it gets an internal IP from there and NAT's you out behind it)
* WiFi or Ethernet to AP - letting your wifi clients it hit, and then get on the network.

I use this a lot in server rooms, plug it into any USB port (most switches and servers work just fine) and boom, wifi to the rack, and I can go sit in an office and not stand in the server room. Also great for travelling if you are in a hotel or something that limits the number of devices (2 people, 2 laptops, 2 phones and a tablet, often is well over a "2 device limit") - just let this be your room's router to the hotel WiFi, and you're golden.

I know I sound like a shill, but it's so infrequently I put something in my toolbox that I really like this much. And someone said "compact router", but I think this wins :)
Looks like a cool device (another tool in the tool chest), but the $18 from .com vs $48 from .ca (3rd party) kinda sucks.
I've ran into the limited wifi connection once, and was lucky enough to have my laptop and turn it into a router.
Jan 31, 2012
11 posts
MARKHAM
Has anyone tried installing DD-WRT on this?
Jul 10, 2015
83 posts
18 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Is Hootoo just the shit, or are there a looot of fake reviews going on with their products?

I'm tempted to buy the router just to have it for my bag.
Aug 28, 2006
901 posts
152 upvotes
Scarborough
justapoorboy wrote: Is Hootoo just the shit, or are there a looot of fake reviews going on with their products?

I'm tempted to buy the router just to have it for my bag.
I have heard great things about the Hootoo routers, especially the Titan that is praised by quite a few of the tech youtubers. The titan is the one I'm waiting on a sale for. https://www.amazon.ca/HooToo-Wireless-P ... otoo+titan
Jun 18, 2010
91 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
mkay18 wrote: Has anyone tried installing DD-WRT on this?
Well.... there seems to be OpenWrt support for the HT-TM** series. If the internals are the same, it's just a matter of time.

Buy now.... tinker later Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
May 6, 2009
1 posts
I found that this appears to be the exact same router as the iBall Baton Model No: iB-WRB302N. Baton 300M

For only $9.99, I went ahead and flashed the firmware for the Baton. Not only did the flash work flawlessly, it also included some additional features.

Definitely safe and worth checking out!

Edit: I wanted to add that wireless speeds reach about ~80mbps and wired 94mbps. This was tested using speedtest.net on 150mbps internet.

Edit 2: FCC documents on both routers can be found here: 2AHVHWR3005