Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

[HOT???] Canon EF-S 24mm f / 2.8 STM Lens Amazon PM BestBuy

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 4:36 am
Feb 20, 2013
63 posts
59 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] [HOT???] Canon EF-S 24mm f / 2.8 STM Lens Amazon PM BestBuy

Here is the link for the lens on AMAZON for CDN$ 184.50, I PM BestBuy at Eaton Centre two days ago with no problem since is sold and ship from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NI3 ... _i=desktop

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ca ... 66149.aspx
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 8th, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
Unless something has changed, you got lucky, since it's only fulfilled by Amazon at that price. On the other hand, it seems you only pay GST/HST with this seller, so this brings the total to $193.73.
Mar 12, 2017
686 posts
630 upvotes
Ontario
Lucky.
Ships from and sold by 123-easyship.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
This is a crop sensor only lens (EF-S). Combined with f2.8 max aperture, I'm not sure how hot this is. 37mm equivalent.
This was a weird lens release from Canon. If it was sub $150 it would be more attractive. I'm not sure I'd spend $200 on a crop sensor only lens that is not particularly wide or fast.

I'd seek out the EF 40mm f2.8 instead which will work on full frame as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is a crop sensor only lens (EF-S). Combined with f2.8 max aperture, I'm not sure how hot this is. 37mm equivalent.
This was a weird lens release from Canon. If it was sub $150 it would be more attractive. I'm not sure I'd spend $200 on a crop sensor only lens that is not particularly wide or fast.

IMO, this lens is perfect for sl1 or sl2 where size matters. If not, just get the 50mm 1.8 stm.
Feb 16, 2008
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
a_dee wrote: IMO, this lens is perfect for sl1 or sl2 where size matters. If not, just get the 50mm 1.8 stm.
I have checked sample images from this 24mm f2.8, it seems different than 50mm f1.8.
50mm f1.8 is only good for vertical portrait shots, but this 24mm can do whole body shots
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
a_dee wrote: IMO, this lens is perfect for sl1 or sl2 where size matters. If not, just get the 50mm 1.8 stm.
Aka nifty fifty
Jul 21, 2015
297 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto, ON
daivey wrote: Aka nifty fifty

Price/deal aside, 28mm and 50mm, are totally different beasts, I wouldn't really say one replaces the other - unless you mean 28 on a crop, (37mm equiv) and 50 on a full frame, but even that's a stretch.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
antithesis99 wrote: Price/deal aside, 28mm and 50mm, are totally different beasts, I wouldn't really say one replaces the other - unless you mean 28 on a crop, (37mm equiv) and 50 on a full frame, but even that's a stretch.
Sorry, I had a brain fart, you're right.
Feb 20, 2013
63 posts
59 upvotes
I just saw some comments here talking about the seller and ship not being from amazon... I open the links here and stills showing ship and sold by amazon, that's why is easy to get price match at Best buy. the total after price match was $203.39, so $179.99 + $23.40 tax. the deal stills up tho.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is a crop sensor only lens (EF-S). Combined with f2.8 max aperture, I'm not sure how hot this is. 37mm equivalent.

Great opinion, here's mine. Not everyone shoots with full frame or ever will shoot with full frame, so a crop sensor only lens is only a relevant matter if you ever plan on upgrading to a 5D, 6D, etc. which I would make a fairly confident assumption 90% of crop sensor owners will not, so I would recommend to ignore this 'crop sensor only point' when researching lenses.

f/2.8 is a fairly fast lens for it's size. I'm no technical expert but no lens is capable of going faster at that size, which is the real selling point, it's a pancake lens that's fairly fast at f/2.8. You won't find any pancake lens at f/1.8 or f/1.4 so not sure what point you're trying to make here, other than the fact you completely dismiss the purpose of this lens being a pancake lens - aka something so small it makes your camera very light, not have a long nose stick out of it, and fits into any sort of pocket/bag.

It's also a STM lens, great for autofocus with smooth transitioning if you're into video, but also does amazing for photos.

Lastly, a ~37mm full frame equivalent makes this a normal lens (what the normal eye would typically interpret, basically less distortion than a wide angle), a much more usable lens than a 40mm at a 64mm equivalent, making it a very tight shot. As a verbal example, if you use the 24mm about a meter away from someone, you'd see their whole head and it's surroundings. If you use a 40mm a meter away from someone, you'd basically be cropped into their nose and I would assume not even have their whole head in the shot, let alone the surroundings. Although the pancake 40mm f/2.8 is an amazing lens as well, it's not the best substitute for a normal lens like the 24mm that can basically stay on your camera for any sort of scenario (compared to the 40mm which you'll probably be swapping out quite often).

Lastly, for under $200, that's an amazing price for STM AF, 37mm equivalent, and pancake size, you should be thankful Canon is able to pack so much into such a tiny package for that price.

/rant

EDIT: Any discount on the Canon 24mm f/2.8 is a good deal, thanks OP for sharing. If you're looking for an all around lens, this is the one to get.

ALSO EDIT: Before anyone cries Canon fanboy, I shoot with Sony. I just hate seeing uninformed opinions get upvoted.
Sep 1, 2017
43 posts
42 upvotes
vtse wrote: Not everyone shoots with full frame or ever will shoot with full frame, so a crop sensor only lens is only a relevant matter if you ever plan on upgrading to a 5D, 6D, etc. which I would make a fairly confident assumption 90% of crop sensor owners will not, so I would recommend to ignore this 'crop sensor only point' when researching lenses.
Totally agree. Switching to full frame and L glass is far beyond most people's camera gear budgets. I'm definitely not upgrading anytime soon.

I much prefer the 24mm to the 40mm. The 40mm lens is just too close to the nifty fifty to be worth buying and it's also a slower lens. That's the pointless one IMO (unless extreme corner sharpness is your main priority). The 24mm is far wider which is kind of welcome on a crop sensor. It's a fun, light, cheap and sharp lens which I love to use.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
zmaw1235 wrote: Totally agree. Switching to full frame and L glass is far beyond most people's camera gear budgets. I'm definitely not upgrading anytime soon.

I much prefer the 24mm to the 40mm. The 40mm lens is just too close to the nifty fifty to be worth buying and it's also a slower lens. That's the pointless one IMO (unless extreme corner sharpness is your main priority). The 24mm is far wider which is kind of welcome on a crop sensor. It's a fun, light, cheap and sharp lens which I love to use.
With the 40mm vs. 50mm, my take on it is if you prefer size, the 40mm is better (about half the height of the 50mm). Otherwise, the new 50mm STM is an amazing combo with the 24mm for creamy portraits.

Do note however similar, that 10mm makes a difference in the type of shot you want to get, so it's a tradeoff in speed and size and figuring out what you prioritize.
Jan 8, 2005
919 posts
225 upvotes
Windsor
vtse wrote: You won't find any pancake lens at f/1.8 or f/1.4 so not sure what point you're trying to make here, other than the fact you completely dismiss the purpose of this lens being a pancake lens - aka something so small it makes your camera very light, not have a long nose stick out of it, and fits into any sort of pocket/bag.
What are you talking about? My 20mm pancake lens is f/1.7 (Panasonic)
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
xaveryptak wrote: What are you talking about? My 20mm pancake lens is f/1.7 (Panasonic)
lol -- never knew panasonic fit on canon EF
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
xaveryptak wrote: What are you talking about? My 20mm pancake lens is f/1.7 (Panasonic)
a_dee wrote: lol -- never knew panasonic fit on canon EF
As a_dee has pointed out, you're talking about a whole different mount. I didn't clearly state it, but Canon (or any third party I'm aware of) doesn't make a pancake lens that fast.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
vtse wrote: Great opinion, here's mine. Not everyone shoots with full frame or ever will shoot with full frame, so a crop sensor only lens is only a relevant matter if you ever plan on upgrading to a 5D, 6D, etc. which I would make a fairly confident assumption 90% of crop sensor owners will not, so I would recommend to ignore this 'crop sensor only point' when researching lenses.

f/2.8 is a fairly fast lens for it's size. I'm no technical expert but no lens is capable of going faster at that size, which is the real selling point, it's a pancake lens that's fairly fast at f/2.8. You won't find any pancake lens at f/1.8 or f/1.4 so not sure what point you're trying to make here, other than the fact you completely dismiss the purpose of this lens being a pancake lens - aka something so small it makes your camera very light, not have a long nose stick out of it, and fits into any sort of pocket/bag.

It's also a STM lens, great for autofocus with smooth transitioning if you're into video, but also does amazing for photos.

Lastly, a ~37mm full frame equivalent makes this a normal lens (what the normal eye would typically interpret, basically less distortion than a wide angle), a much more usable lens than a 40mm at a 64mm equivalent, making it a very tight shot. As a verbal example, if you use the 24mm about a meter away from someone, you'd see their whole head and it's surroundings. If you use a 40mm a meter away from someone, you'd basically be cropped into their nose and I would assume not even have their whole head in the shot, let alone the surroundings. Although the pancake 40mm f/2.8 is an amazing lens as well, it's not the best substitute for a normal lens like the 24mm that can basically stay on your camera for any sort of scenario (compared to the 40mm which you'll probably be swapping out quite often).

Lastly, for under $200, that's an amazing price for STM AF, 37mm equivalent, and pancake size, you should be thankful Canon is able to pack so much into such a tiny package for that price.

/rant

EDIT: Any discount on the Canon 24mm f/2.8 is a good deal, thanks OP for sharing. If you're looking for an all around lens, this is the one to get.

ALSO EDIT: Before anyone cries Canon fanboy, I shoot with Sony. I just hate seeing uninformed opinions get upvoted.
First of all, even if you are never going to move to full frame, the fact that a lens is EF vs EF-S matters a lot in resale value. People are moving away from Canon EF-S crop equipment in droves, and either moving to cell phones or other systems. Personally I love this fact, as I pick up gear very cheaply in the resale market. At this point though I would tell others to be careful of investing a lot of money in Canon EF-S equipment at new retail prices though, as I see most of the camera market moving away from Canon EF-S. That said, there are some killer, must have EF-S lenses like the 10-18 IS.

Sorry, you lost credibility when you claimed that "the 24mm that can basically stay on your camera for any sort of scenario." As well as talking about using a 24 mm for portraits. It is way too wide for anything but full body length shots. This lens also has no IS and f2.8 is too slow for great low light ability. The main benefit is that it's a pancake lens.. it falls down when you consider other factors. On a DSLR, the benefit of having a pancake lens is much less than on a smaller mirrorless camera. But that said, I do like my 40 f2.8 STM lens on Canon.

Stick with your Sony stuff, but thanks for coming out.

To others:
It's a warmish price for this lens, if you find it useful. I personally don't.
Absolutely don't buy it intending it for portraits as it's generally not suitable for that due to the wide angle being unflattering.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: First of all, even if you are never going to move to full frame, the fact that a lens is EF vs EF-S matters a lot in resale value. People are moving away from Canon EF-S crop equipment in droves, and either moving to cell phones or other systems. Personally I love this fact, as I pick up gear very cheaply in the resale market. At this point though I would tell others to be careful of investing a lot of money in Canon EF-S equipment at new retail prices though, as I see most of the camera market moving away from Canon EF-S. That said, there are some killer, must have EF-S lenses like the 10-18 IS.

Sorry, you lost credibility when you claimed that "the 24mm that can basically stay on your camera for any sort of scenario." As well as talking about using a 24 mm for portraits. It is way too wide for anything but full body length shots. This lens also has no IS and f2.8 is too slow for great low light ability. The main benefit is that it's a pancake lens.. it falls down when you consider other factors. On a DSLR, the benefit of having a pancake lens is much less than on a smaller mirrorless camera. But that said, I do like my 40 f2.8 STM lens on Canon.

To others:
Absolutely don't buy it intending it for portraits as it's generally not suitable for that due to the wide angle being unflattering.
Sure, if you want to be a true RFDer and think about how you're going to get rid of it before you even buy it, do your thang. Valid point on not buying new retail prices, but we're on RFD and we're talking about a lens that's on sale, so...? If what you mean is people should buy used/secondhand like you 'love' to do, then that goes for anything posted here - buying used is always better than most deals. I also agree, the EF-S 10-18 is an amazing lens, but everyone, becareful, I've been told buying an EF-S lens is a bad idea, except... that same guy told me this was a good lens to buy... so I'm not sure anymore.

I don't claim to be an expert nor some photography guru, you're right in that I have no credibility, take everything I say lightly and do your own research. From my experience, I shot with the 23mm f/1.4 on my Fuji 90% of the time. It's on the wider side for portraits but is still 100% usable for portraits - it's understanding what your lens is capable of. A normal/wideish lens like this 24mm is more of an environmental portrait, so you shoot the person with background/environment/'where they are' type of situation. My example of shooting someone 1m away is to give perspective on the type of shot you'd achieve between lenses. I'd say don't shoot someone very close to them as you'll get a fisheye/barreling look on their face with a 24mm and that's not the most flattering unless you're trying to achieve that look.

This is compared to actual 'portraits' where you're typically using a 50mm, 85mm, or higher to get a close up of the actual person, there's no distortion, but it's really zoned into the person and not what's around you. For me personally, this is more on the professional, headshots type of work. My 23mm stayed on my camera as my travel, street, and everyday setup as I'm not interested in just shooting someone by themselves, but when traveling, what's around them as well.

Sure it has no IS, but again, it's a tradeoff for the size of the lens, aka a pancake lens. In comparison, their other pancake lens, the 40mm, which you 'love' so much also doesn't have IS and arguably would need it even more at that length. Again, f/2.8 is probably what's physically capable for the size of the lens, it's fast enough, and if not that's why ISO and tripods exist. You're asking for an ultimate all-in-one lens in a sub-$200 range. There's always tradeoffs in every lens.

A smaller body+lens combo is a smaller body+lens combo, whether it be on a DSLR or a mirroless camera.

Oh good one, contradict yourself in every point you've made and then make it sound like shooting Sony vs. Canon makes any difference in this situation of you having one way of shooting and thinking everyone should do the same.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I’d buy this if I had an SL1 or 2 and wanted to keep compact(ish in DSLR size) for street/environmental portrait. Otherwise, a crop variant 17-55 constant f/2.8 with IS is more versatile, won’t be cheap though, Tamron would be lowest.
Feb 20, 2013
63 posts
59 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: First of all, even if you are never going to move to full frame, the fact that a lens is EF vs EF-S matters a lot in resale value. People are moving away from Canon EF-S crop equipment in droves, and either moving to cell phones or other systems. Personally I love this fact, as I pick up gear very cheaply in the resale market. At this point though I would tell others to be careful of investing a lot of money in Canon EF-S equipment at new retail prices though, as I see most of the camera market moving away from Canon EF-S. That said, there are some killer, must have EF-S lenses like the 10-18 IS.

To others:
What?? People are moving away from APS-C??? For real, where do you live?? Do you have any numbers to back that up??? To me sounds like a FF fanboy that blinds himself from whatever new comes to the market... It reminds me when they used to say that people who takes photography seriously would shoot anything but medium format... BTW, there is no right lens for portrait, you can take a portrait with any lens my friend, don't limit yourself by your gear and if other people are confident enough about their skills to do whatever they want with whatever gear they have, pls respect that.

APS-C is amazing, I wish I had all those options when I started to shoot, be able to have such nice collection of lens for cheap and be able to have awesome results. In the end of the day, nobody cares if you shoot on a 5D mkIV or on a t3i, people care about good images, simple.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)