• Sep 25th, 2019 9:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4553 posts
6229 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Amazon.ca] HOT - Chefman Electric Knife - $14.99, Sous Vide - $49.99

Some pretty hot deals from the Chefman storefront on Amazon. There was a Vacuum Sealer for $20 but it sold out within seconds of me posting that deal here, so I'd hurry.

I have the sous vide circulator and it's fine and has worked for a year or more. There's a BT/Wifi version for $70.
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on Sep 19th, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Jan 3, 2009
149 posts
76 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks! Picked up the sous vide non wifi.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1065 posts
891 upvotes
Edmonton
Got the sealer for 20$

No idea if it's a good deal or not, but damn that RFD effect lol
Aug 20, 2018
259 posts
268 upvotes
Reminder that sous vide adds plastic chemicals to your food
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2823 posts
5590 upvotes
Reminder that breathing air adds chemicals to your lungs
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4553 posts
6229 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
AnujS699 wrote: Got the sealer for 20$

No idea if it's a good deal or not, but damn that RFD effect lol
Did you receive the sealer? My delivery date was the day before yesterday, but it keeps getting pushed.
Jan 19, 2007
679 posts
134 upvotes
Waffle maker starts from $29.99....incorrect title?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2477 posts
753 upvotes
Gta
jyd_me wrote: Waffle maker starts from $29.99....incorrect title?
That’s what I see too
Koodo member
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3535 posts
1598 upvotes
'Shwallywood
Picked up the sous-vide! Can't wait to stop screwing up expensive steaks anymore.
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4553 posts
6229 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
jyd_me wrote: Waffle maker starts from $29.99....incorrect title?
Price went up. It was $19.99 when I posted it. A bunch of prices have changed. The Bluetooth version of the sous vide was $69.99
Jul 9, 2017
162 posts
101 upvotes
Although some types of plastic have been found to release undesirable chemicals into food, especially under high heat or acidic conditions, the bags that people use for sous vide cooking are not among those plastics.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1532 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
nellium wrote: Picked up the sous-vide! Can't wait to stop screwing up expensive steaks anymore.
While sous vide is definitely one of the ways to get steaks right. You can get better results doing the reverse sear in an oven. The best tool to nail the reverse sear is to buy a meat thermometer (which will also be practical for cooking many other proteins).

I know this is somewhat off topic but I cook steak fairly regularly and the best result for me has been:
-rub steak with fish sauce
-leave uncovered in fridge overnight (or for as long as you can if you didn't plan ahead)
-roast in oven at 200F for 40 min (I use a Breville Smart Oven Mini)
-sear on a screaming hot cast iron pan

I get a beautiful crust that's crisp and flavorful every time.

I use my sous vide circulator exclusively for long cooks or if I'm cooking a protein straight out of the freezer.
Nov 13, 2005
306 posts
92 upvotes
Calgary
superock wrote: -rub steak with fish sauce
interesting! I've gone away from SV for steaks for some time now and reverse sear mostly too. Texture and taste better than SV, plus the fat renders way nicer.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1065 posts
891 upvotes
Edmonton
Nikhilvoid wrote: Did you receive the sealer? My delivery date was the day before yesterday, but it keeps getting pushed.
No I just ordered it a few hrs ago because OP said it was OOS, so I figured it's probably a good deal lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4553 posts
6229 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
AnujS699 wrote: No I just ordered it a few hrs ago because OP said it was OOS, so I figured it's probably a good deal lol
I am the OP. Are you saying it came back in stock a few hours ago?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1065 posts
891 upvotes
Edmonton
Nikhilvoid wrote: I am the OP. Are you saying it came back in stock a few hours ago?
yes
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4139 posts
189 upvotes
superock wrote: While sous vide is definitely one of the ways to get steaks right. You can get better results doing the reverse sear in an oven. The best tool to nail the reverse sear is to buy a meat thermometer (which will also be practical for cooking many other proteins).

I know this is somewhat off topic but I cook steak fairly regularly and the best result for me has been:
-rub steak with fish sauce
-leave uncovered in fridge overnight (or for as long as you can if you didn't plan ahead)
-roast in oven at 200F for 40 min (I use a Breville Smart Oven Mini)
-sear on a screaming hot cast iron pan

I get a beautiful crust that's crisp and flavorful every time.

I use my sous vide circulator exclusively for long cooks or if I'm cooking a protein straight out of the freezer.
I just bought some well marbled wagyu steaks, very tempted to try this method. I can finish them off on the bbq and still get a good result instead of cast iron right?