Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

*HOT* Ironwood Gourmet Square End Grain Chef's Board, Acacia Wood

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 2:23 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough

[Amazon.ca] *HOT* Ironwood Gourmet Square End Grain Chef's Board, Acacia Wood

Ironwood Gourmet Square End Grain Chef's Board, Acacia Wood 14 x 14 x 1.25 inch

Regular price $88

52% OFF.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ironwood-Gourmet- ... 000RKRMOA/
Last edited by OrangeBerry on Dec 10th, 2018 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Price is okay. I got my Acacia 12×18 14x20 end-grain from costco.ca a couple years ago for ~$70

14×14 seems like a really awkward and small space to work with.
Last edited by KanataKG on Dec 9th, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2017 upvotes
Scarborough
superfresh89 wrote: Price is okay. I got my Acacia 12×18 end-grain from costco.ca a couple years ago for ~$70

14×14 seems like a really awkward and small space to work with.
That's almost double the price for 4 inches more... I'm not sure if what you paid was "OK"
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: That's almost double the price for 4 inches more... I'm not sure if what you paid was "OK"
Whoops. Went downstairs and measured it. I assume it was just standard size but mine is 20x14. Approx 40-50% larger than this one. It was 61.99$ + tax at the time.

I run out of room all the time.. 14x14 would be unusuable for me or anyone cooking for more than 2-3 people.

Might be good for a single person living in a condo / apartment
Last edited by KanataKG on Dec 9th, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3830 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: Whoops. Went downstairs and measured it. I assume it was just standard size but mine is 20x14. Approx 40% larger than this one. It was 61.99$ + tax at the time.

I run out of room all the time.. 14x14 would be unusuable for me.

Might be good for a single person living in a condo / apartment
40% larger size for 50% more cost haha. In all seriousness, the large size would be worth it.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1172 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm...So hard to decide. It's a good deal, but the size is not ideal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Dont get this. Horrible product.

It will come with glue resin on one side. It will have rough and not properly sanded/finished surface. It will also warp on you by simply a daily use within a month or two. All this is from experience with this exact board.
Apr 24, 2012
103 posts
54 upvotes
CALGARY
I got one like this from costco for about the same price and it's fine. Did you keep your board oiled? you need to oil all cutting boards, especially these ones since they are made from Acacia wood, which comes from India (more humid there)
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Dont get this. Horrible product.

It will come with glue resin on one side. It will have rough and not properly sanded/finished surface. It will also warp on you by simply a daily use within a month or two. All this is from experience with this exact board.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Seifer129 wrote: I got one like this from costco for about the same price and it's fine. Did you keep your board oiled? you need to oil all cutting boards, especially these ones since they are made from Acacia wood, which comes from India (more humid there)
Did you get this board from this manufacturer or one "like it".
I know how to take care of cutting boards. I got my Boos board now for 5 years and with daily use it almost shows no wear still. You get what you pay for.
Apr 24, 2012
103 posts
54 upvotes
CALGARY
can't say 100% if mine is the exact same or not as this board is at is at home, also all the labels are cleaned off. It probably is as it looks exactly the same

I would fully expect that a $300 cutting board is better then a $40 one. I picked this one up as a secondary board for when the GF and I are meal prepping at the same time
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Did you get this board from this manufacturer or one "like it".
I know how to take care of cutting boards. I got my Boos board now for 5 years and with daily use it almost shows no wear still. You get what you pay for.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
I've been looking at wood cutting boards since I want to cut my ingredients like Jacques Pepin but I'm too lazy to maintain them.

Guess I'll have to stick to my plastic boards...
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
mcg wrote: I've been looking at wood cutting boards since I want to cut my ingredients like Jacques Pepin but I'm too lazy to maintain them.

Guess I'll have to stick to my plastic boards...
Ditch the plastic boards ASAP, they harbour a lot of bacteria.

https://www.epicureancs.com/product-cat ... ng-boards/ <---- Buying a couple of these is probably one of the best things i've done for preparing food at home. They are light and easy to clean, you can throw them right in the dishwasher.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: Ditch the plastic boards ASAP, they harbour a lot of bacteria.

https://www.epicureancs.com/product-cat ... ng-boards/ <---- Buying a couple of these is probably one of the best things i've done for preparing food at home. They are light and easy to clean, you can throw them right in the dishwasher.
Thank you, never knew. We wash our boards after every use so I doubt there would be a huge collection.... Or so I hope at least?
Oct 2, 2009
572 posts
375 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: Ditch the plastic boards ASAP, they harbour a lot of bacteria.

Mmmm yes and no....

The problem with plastic boards is that they scar easily, which creates huge gaps that trap bacteria. That being said if you wash it with soap and spray it down with vinegar (sanitizer) its totally fine. In restaurants (good ones at least) we spray food safe sanitizer after we clean it. Once a week we soak them in bleach overnight. Never had a problem, neither does the health and safety department.

Wood boards "soaks" in the bacteria and traps them a couple mm under the surface. As the board dies out the bacteria is killed (bacteria needs water to live). That being said it is still recommended to spray wood boards down with vinegar after washing with soap.

Edit: Take away is as long as you wash and sanitize it properly it doesn't matter. I mean you really think cooks/chefs uses one knife for raw protein and another knife for veggies? (Well sometimes to be more efficient we use specialized knife for butchering/slicing meat if we are prepping huge amounts of something.) NOPE we just scrub it clean with soap water and sanitize it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)