[Amazon Canada] HOT!! Kicking Horse Whole Bean 1 lb for 8.49$ with S&S

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2018 7:50 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2015
952 posts
1177 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] HOT!! Kicking Horse Whole Bean 1 lb for 8.49$ with S&S

Was trying to find a light roast, which I couldn't with the Food Basics deal, tried amazon again today to find that they slashed their prices, and with Subscribe and Save, makes it a sweeter deal. Got me 3 bags, might add more :).

Enjoy.
75 replies
Apr 13, 2016
559 posts
275 upvotes
I love Kicking Horse Grizzly Claw in a french press but I encourage finding a local roaster and buying some freshly roasted beans. I bought some dark roast beans from a local place that were roasted last week and the difference is night and day when drinking black- there's no bitterness, even with a dark roast.

I've been buying KH for a long time and it's tasty but if you have a nice conical burr, try something more fresh at least once.
Last edited by snipzy on Apr 13th, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedFlagDealers should look out for each other. I have to say, I do enjoy a good thread shitting if it is deserved.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2566 posts
1877 upvotes
Drinking Americano right at this moment. I think I paid a bit more from the last S&S
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4010 posts
347 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Thanks, but prefer to shop in-store where I can see the expiry date
Apr 13, 2016
559 posts
275 upvotes
sixer wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 6:58 am
Thanks, but prefer to shop in-store where I can see the expiry date
I used to think this wasn't a big deal but it makes a tremendous difference, buying beans with the roast date on them. For this reason I have moved on from Kicking Horse.
RedFlagDealers should look out for each other. I have to say, I do enjoy a good thread shitting if it is deserved.
Mar 25, 2009
460 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
snipzy wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 7:01 am
I used to think this wasn't a big deal but it makes a tremendous difference, buying beans with the roast date on them. For this reason I have moved on from Kicking Horse.
What have you “moved on” to ?
Aug 22, 2005
134 posts
83 upvotes
Thanks OP, just ordered a couple bags of Espresso @ $18.88/kg which is a fantastic deal for KH
Apr 13, 2016
559 posts
275 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 7:24 am
What have you “moved on” to ?
Right now, I am buying coffee from Relay Coffee ,which is just a few minutes away from me. Their "Guatemala" dark roast takes like no coffee I have tasted before and it's not bitter at all. The only problem is their coffee is expensive, so I only purchase for special occasions and I will need to look for cheaper options too.

I still have some KH coffee and I can only tolerate it in a french press. The Grizzly Claw tastes like hot chocolate. However, I can't drink it black because it's too bitter tasting.

If you drink black and use a conical burr, you definitely need to try freshly roasted at least once.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
2964 posts
612 upvotes
Mississauga
thanks OP! In for 6 bags. Love KH!
Mar 26, 2004
26 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
Time to stock up. Thanks OP.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2015
952 posts
1177 upvotes
snipzy wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 8:11 am
Right now, I am buying coffee from Relay Coffee ,which is just a few minutes away from me. Their "Guatemala" dark roast takes like no coffee I have tasted before and it's not bitter at all. The only problem is their coffee is expensive, so I only purchase for special occasions and I will need to look for cheaper options too.

I still have some KH coffee and I can only tolerate it in a french press. The Grizzly Claw tastes like hot chocolate. However, I can't drink it black because it's too bitter tasting.

If you drink black and use a conical burr, you definitely need to try freshly roasted at least once.
The more beans are roasted the more they are bitter. Plus there are different other factors as the grind size and brewing method. I always opt to having a mix of light and medium roast to avoid the bitterness. Also the less roast the high caffeine per bean, so I stay with light roast. Just my preference.
Apr 13, 2016
69 posts
6 upvotes
So how long is coffee good for after the roast?
You think amazon is selling older beans I guess?
quite possible, hence the sale price
Apr 18, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Been wanting to try this coffee for a while, decided to pick up 4 bags. At checkout I got a Spend $35, Save 10% discount as well!
Apr 2, 2009
127 posts
77 upvotes
vancouver
Thanks OP! Just in time to replenish my stock from the last sale.

MichaelR901173 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 9:06 am
So how long is coffee good for after the roast?
You think amazon is selling older beans I guess?
quite possible, hence the sale price
Kicking Horse best before date is 1 year from date of roasting. Going by that, my last order from Amazon was 1-2 months old which is as good as or better than some of the stores I buy it from. I've never had a stale bag from KH.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
1339 posts
316 upvotes
How are these in a super automatic machine? Are they super oily?