[Amazon Canada] HOT Meater long range temp probe

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 2:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2016
101 posts
154 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] HOT Meater long range temp probe

wireless version, with 165ft range, be ready for next summer!
45 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1036 posts
467 upvotes
Oakville
I got one of these at Christmas. Works really well and the app is quite slick. I used it in parallel with a Thermapen and it was just as accurate. The advantage is that you don’t need to keep taking readings during the cook process like you do with the Thermapen.
Nov 17, 2003
303 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks OP. Been waiting for this to go on sale.
May 27, 2008
193 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
Ahh nice - I was watching this along their Kickstarter campaign, but couldn't wait for Production and ended up getting a Thermoworks "Smoke" which has been great.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8237 posts
3427 upvotes
Markham
I worry about leave in probes failing especially one that his electronics in it.

Max ambient temp is 527F which seems like a lot but charcoal grill temps can get higher than this IMO. Added to this I like to check my meat periodically at different spots because if you don't and you put the probe and leave it in the wrong spot you're only getting a reading in exactly one spot and one spot only.

Don't see warranty?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 27, 2016
187 posts
138 upvotes
m8x 1a3
Quite pricey when you consider an analog temperature probe is about ~$15 which does roughly the same job. I have an electronic probe ($45) that even comes with a pager that beeps me when the meat is done.

Seems like expensive tech for tech sake without much real value.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1348 posts
2610 upvotes
These are the ones Guga uses all the time, had no idea they cost so much.
Mar 26, 2004
185 posts
83 upvotes
Ottawa
The best use case sure for this I can find is for monitoring something on a rotisserie - chicken, porchetta,etc. I would worry with pichana that the thing would die in the higher heat.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7935 posts
4126 upvotes
ON
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jan 14th, 2020 11:52 am
These are the ones Guga uses all the time, had no idea they cost so much.
Who ?
Dec 29, 2017
220 posts
103 upvotes
SOLD, had my eye on this for about a year but didn't bite. I wanted to preorder the long range but didn't feel safe ordering it incase it didn't work. With Amazon fulfillment at this price it's a no brainer for me. My Weber thermometer fails after a year or so, usually due to water getting in the LCD when I clean it (or left outside on the picnic table camping). Make sure to buy the plus (+) long range version. The other one you have to be right beside your BBQ to use it...

I was going to get the wireless 2 probe ThermoPro, but I love the simplicity of this. In short, thanks for posting OP!!
Nov 13, 2013
373 posts
156 upvotes
Quebec
If you do rotisserie cooking, you must be wireless and this is the only option
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2252 posts
1369 upvotes
Prince George
echotango wrote:
Jan 14th, 2020 11:50 am
Quite pricey when you consider an analog temperature probe is about ~$15 which does roughly the same job. I have an electronic probe ($45) that even comes with a pager that beeps me when the meat is done.

Seems like expensive tech for tech sake without much real value.
This kind of device is pretty handy for monitoring the temperature during a long cook. For pulled pork, for example, it goes on the Kamado about midnight for dinner the next day. I don’t know about you, but I would rather check the temperature from my bed than have to do it manually. It’s important to keep the ambient temperature in the right range for low and slow.

Yes for short cooks where you’re standing there watching anyway, a conventional thermometer is fine.