Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] HOT Starfrit 093087 4-Blades Easy Mandoline Slicer with Container w/ Knob $9.97 [Add On Item / Free Next Day Ship Prime]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2018 11:14 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8957 posts
9924 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] HOT Starfrit 093087 4-Blades Easy Mandoline Slicer with Container w/ Knob $9.97 [Add On Item / Free Next Day Ship Prime]

Hot price $9.97, lots of good reviews. Got 3 and got free next day delivery via Prime

Includes Spiked KNOB!

Don't forget your favourite cashback site!

https://www.amazon.ca/Starfrit-093087-4 ... B003N3ZFA6

Starfrit 093087 4-Blades Easy Mandoline Slicer with Container

4 different blades to slice, grate, julienne or shred
• Knobbed safety guide to keep your food in place while cutting
• All blades and pusher stores directly in the mandolin for easy storage
• Can be used on the container or also on a bowl
• Non-slip base container for added stability

31 replies
Dec 7, 2013
42 posts
28 upvotes
Calgary
I just want to say that the marketing photos are fairly disingenuous. If you want to use that cabbage on this thing you are in for a bad time. Same with larger tubers like yams. The blade is not sharp enough to handle these well and since you can't adjust thickness, it might be useless for you for sauerkraut and frustrating for slaws. If you are using it for tomatoes and cucumbers and shredding carrots then this is fine (Although I suspect the blades would dull fast on these too), otherwise save your moeny and get an oxo, Japanese, or Borner one. Trust me, I thought I could cheap out when I saw this one at Winners in the fall. Starfrit just doesn't make good mandonlines.
Feb 2, 2010
507 posts
324 upvotes
Cambridge
Pro tip: USE THE SAFETY GUIDE.

Seriously, as someone who has lost fingertips and part of a knuckle to one of these things, use of the guard is vital, and this one looks like it comes with a decent one.
Last edited by Tapout123 on Dec 18th, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2289 posts
383 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:01 am
Pro tip: USE THE SAFETY GUIDE.

Seriously, as someone who has lost fingertips and part of a knuckle to one of these things, use of the guard is vital, and this one comes with a decent one.
Agree, a friend took off a chunk of her finger and end up in emergency.
King of the farm
Oct 14, 2012
359 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
Rooster wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 10:02 am
Agree, a friend took off a chunk of her finger and end up in emergency.
Can anyone explain in graphic detail how this even happens?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4047 posts
1355 upvotes
same price at walmart

edit: oh wow, 1sec too late :P
Jul 18, 2017
210 posts
165 upvotes
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:55 am
I just want to say that the marketing photos are fairly disingenuous. If you want to use that cabbage on this thing you are in for a bad time. Same with larger tubers like yams. The blade is not sharp enough to handle these well and since you can't adjust thickness, it might be useless for you for sauerkraut and frustrating for slaws. If you are using it for tomatoes and cucumbers and shredding carrots then this is fine (Although I suspect the blades would dull fast on these too), otherwise save your moeny and get an oxo, Japanese, or Borner one. Trust me, I thought I could cheap out when I saw this one at Winners in the fall. Starfrit just doesn't make good mandonlines.
Thank you. You saved me from buying it.
Dec 14, 2017
47 posts
146 upvotes
Looks like a dangerous item from what I read!
Jul 1, 2018
29 posts
247 upvotes
The dull blade will be resistant and when you’re about 90% done slicing, you’ll try to get the last couple of slices out by supporting the vegetable with your thumb. It will be stuck until the right amount of force is applied. You’ll apply it gradually but this doesn’t cut gradually, eventually it will slip down along with a piece of your thumb. Always use the guard and be prepared to discard 10%-15% of each product you use.

Costco had an Art+Cook all stainless steel mandolin for $54.95, I grabbed it a few weeks ago when they cleared it out for $19.97. It came with a guard and a cut resistant glove, these gloves are available separately on Amazon. Strongly recommended.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1069 posts
632 upvotes
Calgary
AgentV wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 11:27 am
The dull blade will be resistant and when you’re about 90% done slicing, you’ll try to get the last couple of slices out by supporting the vegetable with your thumb. It will be stuck until the right amount of force is applied. You’ll apply it gradually but this doesn’t cut gradually, eventually it will slip down along with a piece of your thumb. Always use the guard and be prepared to discard 10%-15% of each product you use.

Costco had an Art+Cook all stainless steel mandolin for $54.95, I grabbed it a few weeks ago when they cleared it out for $19.97. It came with a guard and a cut resistant glove, these gloves are available separately on Amazon. Strongly recommended.
I grabbed one as well . The adjustable thickness was a nice feature. I doubt that any Costco's will still have inventory left.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
I just got goosebumps looking at the photos and using my imagination
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4454 posts
2557 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
whitefishdome wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:55 am
agreed. We ended up donating ours....
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10297 posts
1153 upvotes
Vancouver
I want a mandoline slicer now lol

Anyone suggest a good quality one? More importantly a safe one.

I think I had a slicer a few years ago, used it a few times but I don’t think very good. Probably why I don’t use it.

I don’t mind paying a bit for something that does a good efficient job with tomatoes, onions , peppers, celery? Potatoes etc

Thanks