Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Housewares Solutions Silicone Microwave Popcorn Bowl - $15.45

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 5:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Housewares Solutions Silicone Microwave Popcorn Bowl - $15.45

Always missed whenever this went on sale at Amazon.
Popping hot, for latecomers like me to abandon microwave bags of popcorn.

Good thread here discussing popcorn:
popcorn-kernels-best-2258785/#p32754347
Also, here:
amazon-ca-poppa-corn-flavacol-seasoning ... 9-2330464/
24 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
776 posts
427 upvotes
Try a hot pan with oil. Way better and easier than these silicone bowls. I threw mine away, once I discovered the pan method. Felt like such a moron.

Plus it is easier to mix butter & other flavorings in the pan
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2002
3684 posts
2197 upvotes
Toronto
I have one...took me a few trials to get the timing just right for a batch to get most kernels popped before they start to get burnt (2:15 in my Panasonic microwave).
I was a microwave bag popper for years...I still enjoy a bag here and there if I feel the "the bad stuff". Otherwise, the $2.50 bag of kernels, plus salt and melted butter is just fine for me. Never tried flavacol before though...maybe it's time and I can be rid of the orville microwave bags for good
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2008
678 posts
287 upvotes
Have this one really like it!
for me 2 min was the sweet spot.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2002
1040 posts
454 upvotes
it's time....wife and I just witched to flavacol with corn oil....add some butter topping after and it's far superior to old MW popcorn. All supplies from poppacorn.

As others have said - first few attempts may be disappointing, due to MW wattage and your salt tolerance but once you get it, it's really good

Tried pan but using MW is sooo easy....
Fightguard wrote: I have one...took me a few trials to get the timing just right for a batch to get most kernels popped before they start to get burnt (2:15 in my Panasonic microwave).
I was a microwave bag popper for years...I still enjoy a bag here and there if I feel the "the bad stuff". Otherwise, the $2.50 bag of kernels, plus salt and melted butter is just fine for me. Never tried flavacol before though...maybe it's time and I can be rid of the orville microwave bags for good
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto
Fightguard wrote: I have one...took me a few trials to get the timing just right for a batch to get most kernels popped before they start to get burnt (2:15 in my Panasonic microwave).
I was a microwave bag popper for years...I still enjoy a bag here and there if I feel the "the bad stuff". Otherwise, the $2.50 bag of kernels, plus salt and melted butter is just fine for me. Never tried flavacol before though...maybe it's time and I can be rid of the orville microwave bags for good
Did my first batch yesterday (also Panasonic microwave) - went too long (minor burning).
Will try your time limit next time I try.
It was also my first time using Flavacol - it is quite tasty, but obviously not super good for you (which should be obvious as it is a butter salt).

My aim is to find the perfect amount of kernals used and perfect time (for best quality of popcorn, regardless of left over unpopped kernals).
The benefit of buying a 35lbs bag of kernals is that psychologically, I'm no longer bothered by unpopped kernal waste.

I also bought two "Glaze Pop" frosted mixes - Red Hot Cinnamon, and Caramel (also $6.99 each at Poppa Corn)
My understanding is these burn really really fast, but it is possible to make it work so long as you try small batches.
Once I tinker and master regular popcorn with Flavacol, will give this a shot.

I tried 1/3 cup kernals, 1 TBSP Costco Coconut Oil, 3/4 tsp flavacol yesterday (3 minutes).
Heated the oil first, then mixed flavocol, then kernals.
Time was too long, and felt the popcorn was too salty.
Still tasted much better than the Costco Orville microwave bags.

Next, will try 1/2 tsp flavacol, 1/3 cup kernals, 1 tbsp coconut oil.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto
kramer1 wrote: Try a hot pan with oil. Way better and easier than these silicone bowls. I threw mine away, once I discovered the pan method. Felt like such a moron.

Plus it is easier to mix butter & other flavorings in the pan
I have a glass-top stove, and while it is possible to shake things by lifting, I expect it would be a pain in the butt.
Clearly not a problem for anyone who has old school coils, or gas.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Highly disagree with this.
The silicone bowls work fantastic, and clean-up is so easy.

Hot pan with oil? Please expand on this.
It would seem that splatter, and popcorn all over the place would be an issue.
kramer1 wrote: Try a hot pan with oil. Way better and easier than these silicone bowls. I threw mine away, once I discovered the pan method. Felt like such a moron.

Plus it is easier to mix butter & other flavorings in the pan
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2007
190 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver
I've got one of these. Works so well! Loose popcorn is super cheap relative to bags too.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1690 posts
936 upvotes
Vancouver
Instant pot can also pop popcorn.

I assume it's a RFD staple by now.

https://www.earthfoodandfire.com/instant-pot-popcorn/

(probably the same method as the hot pan + oil, but you have a deep vessel to contain splatters and less concern of having too much popcorn, and no concern about shaking a pan on a glass top)
Last edited by Sypsy on Jun 25th, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2006
833 posts
346 upvotes
Yep, flavacol amount is very much to taste.
And, the mic time really depends on the microwave.

I also don't worry about leftover kernels.
However, I've had much better results when letting the microwave cool down between batches.
I don't know the science behind this, but it's very consistent for me.
shikotee wrote: Did my first batch yesterday (also Panasonic microwave) - went too long (minor burning).
Will try your time limit next time I try.
It was also my first time using Flavacol - it is quite tasty, but obviously not super good for you (which should be obvious as it is a butter salt).

My aim is to find the perfect amount of kernals used and perfect time (for best quality of popcorn, regardless of left over unpopped kernals).
The benefit of buying a 35lbs bag of kernals is that psychologically, I'm no longer bothered by unpopped kernal waste.

I also bought two "Glaze Pop" frosted mixes - Red Hot Cinnamon, and Caramel (also $6.99 each at Poppa Corn)
My understanding is these burn really really fast, but it is possible to make it work so long as you try small batches.
Once I tinker and master regular popcorn with Flavacol, will give this a shot.

I tried 1/3 cup kernals, 1 TBSP Costco Coconut Oil, 3/4 tsp flavacol yesterday (3 minutes).
Heated the oil first, then mixed flavocol, then kernals.
Time was too long, and felt the popcorn was too salty.
Still tasted much better than the Costco Orville microwave bags.

Next, will try 1/2 tsp flavacol, 1/3 cup kernals, 1 tbsp coconut oil.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2009
3889 posts
2041 upvotes
Toronto
Took care of the vacuum sealing this afternoon.
Based on my research, if sealed and stored properly (basement cellar for me), it can last several years (beyond the March 2021 expiry date).
Did about 5 full beer cups of kernals per bag, and kept the rest.
I've never vac sealed kernals before - very cool how it becomes a dense brick.
Put my bricks back into the original bag.

Still feels fairly nuts to purchase a bag of kernals heavier than my 2.5 year old nephew.
Will likely hand some out to family, lol.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Member
Nov 16, 2013
324 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: Took care of the vacuum sealing this afternoon.
This person RFDs - lol. Impressed by this effort (also lol the bag heavier than your nephew!).

Top