Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] HP Envy 4520 Wireless All-in-One Printer with Mobile Printing w/ FREE HP Instant Ink Plan - $39.91

Sep 12, 2013
444 posts
182 upvotes
pooper wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:55 pm
Data point: any free pages left per month unprinted do not roll over.

no... but if you go over 15 pages in a month, a minimal fee of $1.25 for another set of 10 pages. it happened to me last December when I am printing a lot. got charged $1.25! lol

I am glad I bought this last Black Friday for just a few dollars cheaper than what it is now...I am never to worried if I needed to print something really important!
also, after registering for instant ink plan, the next day they shipped the replacement right away! until now, I even did not have to open it yet as the ink that comes with the package still has ink. to think I printed a lot of colors and around 15 pcs 4R photo already with it!
Jun 16, 2010
111 posts
7 upvotes
Does anyone know if there is a date you have to sign up by for the free ink program ? I want to buy the printer, but use up my purchased cartridge from my previous printer (It's the same printer cartridge #). Can I do that, or will I not be able to get the free ink afterwards? Thank you.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
226 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Murphy11 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 12:49 am
Does anyone know if there is a date you have to sign up by for the free ink program ? I want to buy the printer, but use up my purchased cartridge from my previous printer (It's the same printer cartridge #). Can I do that, or will I not be able to get the free ink afterwards? Thank you.
There isn't a list expiry date, but the terms of service say they can cancel the program with 60 days notice. I guess it's up to you to weigh the risk between them. If your current ink seems like it will last you a while, might as well finish it up because the free program might not last forever.
Is your previous cartridge already opened? If not, you can just save it.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2994 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
flyboy320 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2018 7:39 am
I bought this when it was last on sale and I've had no issues with it. A few things to keep in mind. First is if you opt into one of the non-free Instant ink plans, you can't go back to the free one. With the free plan any unused pages do not roll into the next month (with the non-free plans any unused pages roll forward and you can accumulate them). Some people report that the ink can dry out if you don't use it so I make sure I print out at least one full colour picture every once and a while (since the free ink plan doesn't go by how much ink you use, just how many pages you have printed, when I print a page off when I haven't used it in a while I make sure that page uses lots of ink!).
Actually I just did this. I spoke with support who was able to switch me from a paid plan to a free plan. I got one of these printers last summer before the free plan came out. So if you ever do need to switch, you just need to talk with their chat support team.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2994 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
postalRage wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:37 am
thx for the info.. will empty out the included cartridges before enrolling to the instant ink sub.. had few questions before using this printer.:

1. Can i downgrade to the free tire at any time? say i get the medium plan for one month, can i downgrade to the free tire (assuming that the offer still exists) the next month?
2. Is the instant ink sub tied to cartridge or printer? can i buy a cheepo Black cartridge from amazon and use the colored cartridge from the instant ink subscription.. this way i get the best of both worlds.
aasoror wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:44 pm
Nope you can't downgrade back to the free plan

Printer tied, they keep count of every single page printed, instant ink includes black too.

If you want to do cheap black printing you can't beat laser, get a cheapo $70 refurb from brother and $20 aftermarket toner will last you thousands of pages.
You will be able to downgrade only when speaking to their support. I was able to downgrade my parent's from the cheapest paid plan to a free plan as they were not using it enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2994 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
paperplanez wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 9:30 am
The free ink program only lasts 3 months, correct? After that do we have to switch to the $3.99 plan or cancel?
There is a 3 month trial period for as many pages you need to print. It will automatically renwe for the $3.99.

If you want the free instant ink printing plan, you cannot use the free trial and switch back on their portal. You will have to speak to their support team in order to do so.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2994 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
Murphy11 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 12:49 am
Yeah you can totally do that. As long as the free plan doesn't disappear anytime soon. It's been around for a while so the likelihood of that happening is probably slim.
Oct 21, 2013
181 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just enrolled in the free program, so easy!

You go to their support website and upon beginning the registration process, the FREE option is listed there - no hassle, no questions asked. If you go over the allotted 15 pages per month, its $1.25 for the next 10 pages. Very reasonable + affordable IMO.

Thanks!
May 4, 2006
245 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one from Costco today. I just realized that the model sold by Costco is a bit different than the one sold by Staples (4522 vs 4520).
Does anybody know if any noticeable difference between these 2 models?
Jun 16, 2010
111 posts
7 upvotes
Thank you for your reply. I guess I will use my cartridge first as it is opened already. Hopefully they won't cancel the free ink program any time soon.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2013
226 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Murphy11 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 12:28 am
Thank you for your reply. I guess I will use my cartridge first as it is opened already. Hopefully they won't cancel the free ink program any time soon.
I had to call them today with a question about setting mine up, and the guy said there is no word about cancellation anytime soon. So I think we are good. :) I'm going to use up the included cartridges to print some pictures before signing up for instant ink.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1428 posts
441 upvotes
Markham
dectim wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 5:22 pm
Bought one from Costco today. I just realized that the model sold by Costco is a bit different than the one sold by Staples (4522 vs 4520).
typically costco has a different model number just so make a different of showing its sold at costco.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1212 posts
502 upvotes
North York, ON
dectim wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 5:22 pm
They sometimes change model numbers for big box stores so ppl can't price match. I bought the AIO HP Envy 5530 over 2 yrs ago for $40 (Staples). Very happy with it and would definitely buy another from the Envy line when on sale.
Oct 11, 2004
639 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
Did you guys print photos up to now?

I printed a test photo from the iPhone and it looks like sh*t. Looks like those super compressed low res cam streams when on a 1080p screen, or like 256 color resolution on your monitor.
It did print it on the whole A4 page, but the photo was taken at the highest resolution.