Good printer that does black and colour. Scan fax print. Both wifi and wired

And I checked on HP website it is compatible with the free instant ink
18 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3915 posts
569 upvotes
Lincoln, Ontario
Unless you have a different way of checking with HP their website doesn’t specifically say if a printer is compatible with the free ink plan. It just says it’s compatible with instant ink. Chances are this one isn’t eligible for the free ink plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1626 posts
550 upvotes
Quebec
x-batman wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 7:08 am
Unless you have a different way of checking with HP their website doesn’t specifically say if a printer is compatible with the free ink plan. It just says it’s compatible with instant ink. Chances are this one isn’t eligible for the free ink plan.
When you click on instant ink to register

It ask you the printer model. When you input the officejet 6962 it give you the free plan

While using the same method with the Costco one it doesn’t give you the free plan choice
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
3915 posts
569 upvotes
Lincoln, Ontario
ratatapa wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 7:17 am
When you click on instant ink to register

It ask you the printer model. When you input the officejet 6962 it give you the free plan

While using the same method with the Costco one it doesn’t give you the free plan choice
I stand corrected thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2235 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
confirmed it does have free instant ink using my existing instank ink account. thinking if i should replace my 6968 for this 6962 to get free ink
Dec 17, 2009
125 posts
37 upvotes
vancouver
fyi, 6962 doesn’t do double side scanning
Dec 10, 2016
25 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
costco-hp-officejet-pro-6978-color-all- ... re-2266251
Costco Price $49
Generally it sells for $250 bestbuy/staples etc.
Seems to be the best I had done lot of R&D exploring this

UPDATE: Good news for HP 6978 and small correction about Free 15 pages
I had called up customer care, they told me all just opt for $3.99 50page/month plan.
Once it gets activated call us again and we can downgrade your plan to Free 15pages/month plan.

Tip: 2 months FREE trial (up to 300 pages)
$3.99 gives 2 months free trial for 50 pages/month max allowed is 300 pages.
That time you can call up and degrade the plan to Free 15 pages/month
Nov 28, 2011
697 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
sumanpintoo wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 12:03 pm
costco-hp-officejet-pro-6978-color-all- ... re-2266251
Costco Price $49
Generally it sells for $250 bestbuy/staples etc.
Seems to be the best I had done lot of R&D exploring this

UPDATE: Good news for HP 6978 and small correction about Free 15 pages
I had called up customer care, they told me all just opt for $3.99 50page/month plan.
Once it gets activated call us again and we can downgrade your plan to Free 15pages/month plan.

Tip: 2 months FREE trial (up to 300 pages)
$3.99 gives 2 months free trial for 50 pages/month max allowed is 300 pages.
That time you can call up and degrade the plan to Free 15 pages/month
I'd take what the customer service rep told you with a huge grain of salt.

Two things that stand out based on what the CSR shared with you:
- HP OfficeJet Pro printers are not eligible for the free plan
- Printers that were previously enrolled in a paid plan are not eligible for the free plan (cannot downgrade)

Assuming that the CSR is bending the rules and is allowing you to downgrade from the $3.99 plan to the free plan, I suspect that they didn't consider that this printer cannot have a free plan associated with it.

My suggestion before committing to this purchase would be to call again and clarify that this is an OfficeJet Pro printer. I think the CSR missed that in his call with you.

*edit* Not to deter you from the Costco deal. It's a great price considering how much this (or a similar) printer sells at other retailers. Just looking out for you and clearing up some misinformation that might inadvertently cause someone else to make this purchase under poor assumptions that they are able to downgrade & enrol this printer in a free Instant Ink plan.
Dec 10, 2016
25 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Well its pure YMMV what I did have shared it here.
First I called the rep saying Office Jet Pro is not coming under FREE plan and I am looking to buy this
Reason: ADF duplex scanning and 49$ price at Costco
They told me all Printers that are INSTANT INK Eligible can be downgraded to FREE 15pages/month plan.
Steps:
activate whatever min. plan is eligible for your printer my case 3.99$ 2 months free 50 pages/month with 300pages exception
Then called up REP this was mentioned in the note also which they confirmed me
Downgraded to 15 pages/month plan effective 30 days and I'm on trial for now so free 30 days.

Tip was could have done this after 2 months but I didn't want to lose out after 60 days not getting 15 pages free plan
Nov 28, 2011
697 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
sumanpintoo wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 12:31 pm
Well its pure YMMV what I did have shared it here.
First I called the rep saying Office Jet Pro is not coming under FREE plan and I am looking to buy this
Reason: ADF duplex scanning and 49$ price at Costco
They told me all Printers that are INSTANT INK Eligible can be downgraded to FREE 15pages/month plan.
Steps:
activate whatever min. plan is eligible for your printer my case 3.99$ 2 months free 50 pages/month with 300pages exception
Then called up REP this was mentioned in the note also which they confirmed me
Downgraded to 15 pages/month plan effective 30 days and I'm on trial for now so free 30 days.

Tip was could have done this after 2 months but I didn't want to lose out after 60 days not getting 15 pages free plan
Appreciate the note that this is YMMV. I think it's important for all that read your post to manage their expectations or reach out to HP themselves to get re-assured.

Reason I brought this up is:
1) The downgrade provision is listed in their terms of service: https://instantink.hpconnected.com/ca/en/terms
No Downgrades. If You upgrade an Enrolled Printer from the 15-Free Program to a paid Service Plan (an “Upgraded Printer”), You may not subsequently downgrade the Upgraded Printer in order to return to the 15-Free Program. Additionally, You may not downgrade a printer from a paid Service Plan to the 15-Free Program.
2) HP also has a list of printers that are eligible for the Free Printing Plan listed in their Terms of Service, and it doesn't include any HP OfficeJet Pro models. That list is not accessible right now (can be found here: www.hpinstantink.com/freeplaninfo)

Definitely a case of YMMV / proceed with caution.
Dec 10, 2016
25 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
agree but sometimes it does not hurt calling n trying rather than seeing terms n conditions
same thing I did too
first got note written about my query once REP assured me for the same
then went ahead and bought
i did not even shared the updates unless i got it activated and down graded to free plan

by now it will be even hard to grab this as most of the places my friends on whatsapp are telling no available
you may wish to try though SKU code is
SKU: 1006978
Product: HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Color All-in-One Inkjet Printer
Price: $49.97
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1626 posts
550 upvotes
Quebec
**** I'm pissed

The amazon printer when looking but default has the 15 pages free plan

Get the printer set it up, enter the ID on the website and BANG this printer is not eligible for the 15 free pages

**** BULLCRAP
Jul 28, 2010
458 posts
357 upvotes
Montreal
ratatapa wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 7:04 pm
**** I'm pissed

The amazon printer when looking but default has the 15 pages free plan

Get the printer set it up, enter the ID on the website and BANG this printer is not eligible for the 15 free pages

**** BULLCRAP
Thanks for letting us know.