Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

HP Stream 14" Pentium Gold 7505, 4/128 GB, IPS FHD - $306

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2021 7:04 am
[OP]
Member
Feb 20, 2018
202 posts
1870 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] HP Stream 14" Pentium Gold 7505, 4/128 GB, IPS FHD - $306

October 14 update: Currently $306 at Amazon
therealefwow wrote: For those who miss the chance on HP site, Amazon got the same laptop at 320$

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0983X ... UTF8&psc=1

and still in stock

==============================================
Original sale: https://www.hp.com/ca-en/shop/product.a ... BL&sel=NTB

Save $60 when you spend $300 or more with code FALL60. Passmark score of 5422 based on 20 samples.

Edit: 7% Rakuten right now, making the total $319 + tax

  • Model: 14-dq2010ca
  • Processor: Intel® Pentium® Gold 7505 (up to 3.5 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 4 MB L3 cache, 2 cores)
  • Display: (14") diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, micro-edge, BrightView, 250 nits, 45% NTSC
  • Memory: 4 GB DDR4-2666 MHz RAM (1 x 4 GB)
  • Memory layout (slots & size): 1 x 4 GB
  • Memory Note: Transfer rates up to 2666 MT/s.
  • Internal Storage: 128 GB SATA 3 TLC M.2 SSD
  • Graphics (integrated): Intel® UHD Graphics
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home in S mode
  • Webcam: HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones
  • 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate
  • 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate
  • 1 HDMI 1.4b
  • 1 AC smart pin
  • 1 headphone/microphone combo
  • Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6™ AX201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit data rate)
  • Expansion slots: 1 multi-format SD media card reader
  • Miracast compatible
  • MU-MIMO supported
  • Audio: Dual speakers
  • Keyboard: Canada bilingual keyboard (supports English and French languages)
  • Pointing device: HP Imagepad with multi-touch gesture support
  • Weight 1.46 kg (3.21 lb)
  • Minimum dimensions (W x D x H): 32.4 x 22.5 x 1.79 cm
  • Battery life: Up to 7 hours and 15 minutes
  • Battery recharge time: Supports battery fast charge: approximately 50% in 45 minutes
  • Battery type: 3-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion
  • Power supply type: 45 W Smart AC power adapter
  • Cloud service: 25 GB Dropbox storage for 12 months
Images
  • uFNDDxP.png
  • wvgOEXa.png
  • yGqD5M3.png
Last edited by Gedfrad on Nov 9th, 2021 9:35 am, edited 40 times in total.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for a new computer for school, RFD Reviews has a list of the best laptops for students!

RAM is upgradeable
302 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1885 posts
1677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Triple EDIT: tldr This Pentium Gold is blazing fast, and everyone thank OP he's been updating the pricing like every other minute

How's Pentium Gold? That will determine how good this deal is.

EDIT: According to passmark this thing is faster than an i3-10110U and as fast as a Ryzen3 4300U... I still don't know what to think because passmark isn't the be all end all.

Double EDIT:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel ... -benchmark
This Pentium gold is actually really fast
Last edited by chevyz07 on Oct 17th, 2021 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Newbie
Dec 30, 2020
16 posts
83 upvotes
How bad are HP's bilingual keyboards, and what's the return policy like? I'm seeing two policies listed (free returns and 15% restocking fee) and not sure which applies.

Also don't forget Rakuten at 7% for HP.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2011
1130 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
flowchart wrote: How bad are HP's bilingual keyboards, and what's the return policy like? I'm seeing two policies listed (free returns and 15% restocking fee) and not sure which applies.

Also don't forget Rakuten at 7% for HP.
Most HPs i've seen have an ANSI keyboard. Not iso layout. Perfectly serviceable keyboard with some bilingual marketings. I've only seen one model in recent history (3 years ago) with an iso layout -- was a Chromebook I think (or maybe a Stream..... Can't recall) -- but well over 95% of the models they make have an ANSI bilingual keyboard (standard enter key, standard shift, etc...)

30 day free returns:
https://www.hp.com/ca-en/shop/FAQ.aspx? ... urn-policy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2231 posts
1499 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
4 gb ram in 2021 is nearly unusable. Anyone know if it's soldered on or can be upgraded?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1885 posts
1677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
maritrunks wrote: Also interested to know how the pentium gold is. In the past, pentium has always been a bit lacking compared to i3 and i5
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel ... -benchmark

I think this Pentium Gold 7505 is actually really good. Even Toms Hardware acknowledges that it is close in performance to a Ryzen 3 4300U. In which case it comes down to whether RAM is upgradeable, if so this is a super hot deal.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1082 posts
752 upvotes
Gtown ON
chevyz07 wrote: How's Pentium Gold? That will determine how good this deal is.

EDIT: According to passmark this thing is faster than an i3-10110U and as fast as a Ryzen3 4300U... I still don't know what to think because passmark isn't the be all end all.
I would say more than good enough for media consumption (I use a Pentium Silver which is half the speed in Passmark). For office work, it's probably passable. The SSD should make the computer responsive. It's a 2 core 4 thread CPU, so not that bad.
BeapChastard wrote: 4 gb ram in 2021 is nearly unusable. Anyone know if it's soldered on or can be upgraded?
I believe it's 1 slot with a 4 GB module. HP says this:
Memory layout (slots & size) 1 x 4 GB
Memory 4 GB DDR4-2666 MHz RAM (1 x 4 GB)


It would be very deceptive to be soldered, and not marked as such in the specs. For me, that's the only upgrade that I would do, from 4 to 8 GB.

If it had a touchscreen, I would have bought this machine instantly, even without the discount :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1972 posts
1271 upvotes
Thanks OP.

Been looking for a new laptop for a while now.

I really hope the SSD and Ram are upgradeable. I have my old sata ssd from my old laptop and want to upgrade to atleast 12GB RAM.

But if I can't, I guess I'm going back to Linux.

Hopefully this can run Android emulators too.

Edit: it probably can't run the emulator.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1082 posts
752 upvotes
Gtown ON
PerformingAzura wrote: Thanks OP.

Been looking for a new laptop for a while now.

I really hope the SSD and Ram are upgradeable. I have my old sata ssd from my old laptop and want to upgrade to atleast 12GB RAM.

But if I can't, I guess I'm going back to Linux.

Hopefully this can run Android emulators too.

Edit: it probably can't run the emulator.
With one slot of RAM, it's either 8 or 16 GB in total.
You probably won't be able to use your SATA SSD. It has an M2 SSD now, most likely NVMe.

It's terrible, HP does not have a page on their website for this model number, with the usual details. Besides the store, this model is non-existent.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1972 posts
1271 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: With one slot of RAM, it's either 8 or 16 GB in total.
You probably won't be able to use your SATA SSD. It has an M2 SSD now, most likely NVMe.

It's terrible, HP does not have a page on their website for this model number, with the usual details. Besides the store, this model is non-existent.
... I really hope they mean only one slot is occupied. Running in single channel can really hurt performance..

Edit:
I just gave them a call.

It's free returns. The Rep said their consumer line up is usually soldered and its only the business lineup that isn't.

Orders can't be cancelled once they are placed, so I guess we'll see what happens when it arrives.

Even if the ram isn't soldered, 1 dimm is a deal breaker for me.

Also looks it uses a SATA m.2 SSD. Fingers crossed it still has a sata port free... but seems unlikely.
Last edited by PerformingAzura on Sep 22nd, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15155 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad about the soldered RAM. Most of the current gen *cell phones* have 4 GB RAM. On a laptop it's no longer really acceptable.

A nice machine that is artificially crippled for reasons unknown. Pass for me.
Member
Feb 22, 2010
482 posts
483 upvotes
I'm surprised no one mentionned Rakuten, at 7% today.
Sr. Member
Aug 10, 2005
522 posts
34 upvotes
Chatham
if you are going to upgrade RAM and SSD on this laptop; I suggest considering a refurb macbook air for around $1000 - comes like brand new.
way better screen, keyboard, and especially the trackpad.
also the M1 is a revolutionary CPU.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... dda9d2518f

I detest the french keyboard because the shift key is usually smaller; no offence to our friends in Quebec.
Last edited by kamran on Sep 22nd, 2021 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15155 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
kamran wrote: if you are going to upgrade RAM and SSD on this laptop; I suggest considering a refurb macbook air for around $1000 - comes like brand new.
way better screen, keyboard, and especially the trackpad.
also the M1 is a revolutionary CPU.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/F ... dda9d2518f
Suggesting a machine with a different OS and architecture at 3X the price? Really?
Sr. Member
Aug 10, 2005
522 posts
34 upvotes
Chatham
Kurtz7834 wrote: Suggesting a machine with a different OS and architecture at 3X the price? Really?
you are right; just providing a different option.
I was a lifelong windows user and so far loving the switch to Mac/OSX
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15155 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
It has been reported by PerformingAzura that the RAM on this machine is soldered and not upgradeable.

So unfortunately I would recommend that people pass on this device. Nice CPU and decent SSD but RAM will be the bottleneck.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 26, 2005
561 posts
407 upvotes
This deal beats checking around Walmart for the Acer. Too many phantom stocks or staff has it in the back. So if my math is right, with the 60 and 7% back, it works out to 316.19
4g and soldered could be a deal breaker though.
Last edited by aragingbull on Sep 22nd, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1885 posts
1677 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kamran wrote: you are right; just providing a different option.
I was a lifelong windows user and so far loving the switch to Mac/OSX
Seems like a very strange place to recommend a refurb macbook. Not very relevant at all.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1972 posts
1271 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: It has been reported by PerformingAzura that the RAM on this machine is soldered and not upgradeable.

So unfortunately I would recommend that people pass on this device. Nice CPU and decent SSD but RAM will be the bottleneck.
Hold up, that's what the Rep said but I'm still holding out for her to be wrong.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)