Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

HUION Drawing Tablet Kamvas Pro 16 Pen Tablet Display $599 - $170 coupon = $429

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 7:29 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2004
867 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] HUION Drawing Tablet Kamvas Pro 16 Pen Tablet Display $599 - $170 coupon = $429

The Huion Kamvas Pro 16 has a $170 coupon on it right now that brings the price down to $429.

A pretty decent deal if anyone is looking for a drawing tablet display and doesn't want to spend the money on a Wacom Cintiq.
24 replies
Member
Jul 29, 2016
297 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
aidzhsiah wrote: The Huion Kamvas Pro 16 has a $170 coupon on it right now that brings the price down to $429.

A pretty decent deal if anyone is looking for a drawing tablet display and doesn't want to spend the money on a Wacom Cintiq.
I tried this before, it must connect to pc and essentially it's a touchscreen monitor.
I wish this can be a portable drawing pad.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
lmx116 wrote: I tried this before, it must connect to pc and essentially it's a touchscreen monitor.
Thats what a pen tablet display is.

What you're looking for is a tablet with a pressure sensitive pen, or a laptop with a pressure sensitive pen. Lenovo and HP both make laptops like that.

source: I own a medium end wacom display tablet, and an ipad pro I use for drawing. I also own a lenovo laptop and adjustable pressure pen but I don't like the experience with the folded over keyboard.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
Dasire wrote: My SO has been using the Huion 1060 since last Christmas and they love it, no problems with it at all. I think this will be a huge upgrade
This is definitely a huge upgrade from the Huion 1060, although that is a very decent non-display pen tablet for very reasonable cost and not a bad tablet by any means. I have one sitting on a shelf somewhere here I should sell before it loses all its value.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2007
937 posts
151 upvotes
BC
I bought this thank you. Are there any other non Wacom tablet users that can share their reviews? Has the gap between Wacom versus everyone else really narrowed that significantly?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
Siye wrote: I bought this thank you. Are there any other non Wacom tablet users that can share their reviews? Has the gap between Wacom versus everyone else really narrowed that significantly?
Wacom still has better pen displays in general, but laminated glass and some improvements in pen tech from Huion have closed the gap quite a bit, and given the cost difference Wacom is hard to justify.

For example, the Wacom Cintiq 16 non-pro is a plastic surface (rather than glass) and costs $950. I prefer the wacom software a lot and it does tilt a whole lot better, but the cost difference even at MSRP is huge.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 15, 2013
987 posts
832 upvotes
Ottawa
Almost went with Huion or Xp-pen but ultimately decided to get the Tab S6 Lite. Especially after they announced Clip Studio Paint for Galaxy devices.

$429 for a touchscreen seems steep, though I'm only a hobbyist. I tried the Xp-pen Deco 01 but just couldn't get a feel for it. Probably going to donate it to Value Village one of these days.
Newbie
Aug 21, 2005
32 posts
71 upvotes
Oakville
You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
Member
Dec 2, 2009
473 posts
608 upvotes
asiak wrote: You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
Are you speaking from experience or Apple fanboy
Newbie
Aug 21, 2005
32 posts
71 upvotes
Oakville
ej25i wrote: Are you speaking from experience or Apple fanboy
Experience. Sheridan arts grad and a freelance illustrator. Apple Pencil is unmatched, and Procreate's product team is amazing.
If you don't want to spend a lot, go for the cheapest iPad model that supports a Pencil (v1 even).
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Almost went with Huion or Xp-pen but ultimately decided to get the Tab S6 Lite. Especially after they announced Clip Studio Paint for Galaxy devices.

$429 for a touchscreen seems steep, though I'm only a hobbyist. I tried the Xp-pen Deco 01 but just couldn't get a feel for it. Probably going to donate it to Value Village one of these days.
It's not a touchscreen. It's a pen tablet display, with a pen with a high degree of pressure sensitivity. You aren't paying for it to fingerpaint, but to use with the pen. The idea being you see the things you're drawing on right under your pen, instead of looking up at a screen while drawing down on your tablet.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
asiak wrote: You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
The downside of ipad is the extremely restrictive software control on ipad. No Krita, no way to load anything outside the app store. No easy hotkeys. the v1 pencil charging is stupid, the v2 pencil is expensive.

I'm not sure if the above deal on the hiuon kamvas 16 is the best deal for everyone, but I'm not sure the ipad is the solution for everyone.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 15, 2013
987 posts
832 upvotes
Ottawa
spiralspirit wrote: It's not a touchscreen. It's a pen tablet display, with a pen with a high degree of pressure sensitivity. You aren't paying for it to fingerpaint, but to use with the pen. The idea being you see the things you're drawing on right under your pen, instead of looking up at a screen while drawing down on your tablet.
Yes, I know exactly what this is. I personally found more versatility with my Tab S6 Lite vs the Huion or Xp-pen. But yes, this will definitely have better pressure sensitivity.
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2007
937 posts
151 upvotes
BC
spiralspirit wrote: Wacom still has better pen displays in general, but laminated glass and some improvements in pen tech from Huion have closed the gap quite a bit, and given the cost difference Wacom is hard to justify.

For example, the Wacom Cintiq 16 non-pro is a plastic surface (rather than glass) and costs $950. I prefer the wacom software a lot and it does tilt a whole lot better, but the cost difference even at MSRP is huge.
Yes, $430 versus almost $1000 is a massive gap. If the Huion is only 80% as good it's still way better bang for your buck.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
Siye wrote: Yes, $430 versus almost $1000 is a massive gap. If the Huion is only 80% as good it's still way better bang for your buck.
It's more like 600 vs 950 (both at MSRP). And 80% as good would be pretty disastrous tbh because you're talking about drawing accuracy and line quality.

But the real question is a $600 pen display a "bang for your buck " item at all? There are way cheaper ones, or regular tablets that are even better bang for your buck. Don't compare your corolla to a Lamborghini and tall about bang for your buck. It's not the right evaluation criteria.

Even an iPad as alternative ends up costing $1000 once you buy all the accessories like pen, tablet stand, case, apps, etc and you get a way smaller display and much less comfortable drawing utensil.
Newbie
Mar 8, 2020
3 posts
Would any of you experienced users out there be able to compare this to drawing on a MS Surface?
Newbie
Nov 1, 2016
63 posts
66 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: The downside of ipad is the extremely restrictive software control on ipad. No Krita, no way to load anything outside the app store. No easy hotkeys. the v1 pencil charging is stupid, the v2 pencil is expensive.

I'm not sure if the above deal on the hiuon kamvas 16 is the best deal for everyone, but I'm not sure the ipad is the solution for everyone.
I went through the whole process of evaluating all of the different devices for my daughter in September. Although it was more expensive than some (although not as expensive as the comparable Wacoms), I got her an an ipad pro plus apple pencil 2. This is what most illustrators use now. If they need further detail, the transfer to their large screen Wacoms. I also got her the keyboard and she is using the iPad Pro for school as well. It's been shockingly good for both tasks (drawing and school) actually.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
Siinvestor wrote: I went through the whole process of evaluating all of the different devices for my daughter in September. Although it was more expensive than some (although not as expensive as the comparable Wacoms), I got her an an ipad pro plus apple pencil 2. This is what most illustrators use now. If they need further detail, the transfer to their large screen Wacoms. I also got her the keyboard and she is using the iPad Pro for school as well. It's been shockingly good for both tasks (drawing and school) actually.
I have both an ipad pro and a wacom pen tablet display, that I use, not for school.

The real killer is the apple pencil is a terrible device compared to the wacom pens and has stupid expensive replacement tips/nibs, even the largest ipad pro isn't as big a display, and I miss all the hotkeys that make me super fast on a real computer. And again, apple's extremely restrictive operating system which doesn't allow non app store software on it means you're limited extremely in what you can do on the device.

And compared to a device you can buy for $450 I bet you spent more than double all in to get the ipad. It's all trade offs.
Newbie
Nov 1, 2016
63 posts
66 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: I have both an ipad pro and a wacom pen tablet display, that I use, not for school.

The real killer is the apple pencil is a terrible device compared to the wacom pens and has stupid expensive replacement tips/nibs, even the largest ipad pro isn't as big a display, and I miss all the hotkeys that make me super fast on a real computer. And again, apple's extremely restrictive operating system which doesn't allow non app store software on it means you're limited extremely in what you can do on the device.

And compared to a device you can buy for $450 I bet you spent more than double all in to get the ipad. It's all trade offs.
The illustrator hired to design money for the Canadian mint uses iPad Pro and it's "terrible" pencil and Procreate for most of her work now. She swears by it. There is a nice video on YouTube about her and her work. By the way, the nice thing about Procreate is that it is so easy to use, you don't need to have "shortcut buttons".

Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2526 posts
933 upvotes
Siinvestor wrote: The illustrator hired to design money for the Canadian mint uses iPad Pro and it's "terrible" pencil and Procreate for most of her work now. She swears by it. There is a nice video on YouTube about her and her work. By the way, the nice thing about Procreate is that it is so easy to use, you don't need to have "shortcut buttons".
Hi - in case you missed it, I'm telling you that I own an ipad pro, pencil, procreate, etc, as well as a wacom tablet, and have tried the huion tablets as well. I'm not telling you this out of ignorance - I use these things on a daily basis.

There are tradeoffs. The apple pencil is a horribly uncomfortable drawing utensil compared to even the huion cheap pen and the wacom pens are even better, and if you put anything on the apple pencil to make it more comfortable it blocks the touch button on it. It's expensive and relatively small. It has no "eraser" end like the wacoms do. Replacement nibs are hilariously expensive.

It's very convenient, though. Procreate is a great app and not expensive, but it hides many many functions behind menus that on a computer I just use hotkeys for, making it go much faster. It doesn't replace an entire ecosystem of products on other devices or CHOICE in software on the ipad where its the app store or nothing.

And once you buy the ipad and all its tchotchkes you're in for $1000 more or less for sure even on a smaller unit, so its a major investment. If you go for a cheap ipad, you're more limited in procreate in terms of layers. Not everyone has $1000 to spend on a dedicated device when for $500 they can get the above huion and attach it to their existing computer.

I don't need a youtube video, thanks. I'm speaking from experience and I own a huion, a wacom, and the ipad pro.

Have a great one.

Top