Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] HUION Drawing Tablet Kamvas Pro 16 Pen Tablet Display $599 - $170 coupon = $429

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 7:29 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2004
865 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] HUION Drawing Tablet Kamvas Pro 16 Pen Tablet Display $599 - $170 coupon = $429

The Huion Kamvas Pro 16 has a $170 coupon on it right now that brings the price down to $429.

A pretty decent deal if anyone is looking for a drawing tablet display and doesn't want to spend the money on a Wacom Cintiq.
24 replies
Jul 29, 2016
235 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
aidzhsiah wrote: The Huion Kamvas Pro 16 has a $170 coupon on it right now that brings the price down to $429.

A pretty decent deal if anyone is looking for a drawing tablet display and doesn't want to spend the money on a Wacom Cintiq.
I tried this before, it must connect to pc and essentially it's a touchscreen monitor.
I wish this can be a portable drawing pad.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
lmx116 wrote: I tried this before, it must connect to pc and essentially it's a touchscreen monitor.
Thats what a pen tablet display is.

What you're looking for is a tablet with a pressure sensitive pen, or a laptop with a pressure sensitive pen. Lenovo and HP both make laptops like that.

source: I own a medium end wacom display tablet, and an ipad pro I use for drawing. I also own a lenovo laptop and adjustable pressure pen but I don't like the experience with the folded over keyboard.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
Dasire wrote: My SO has been using the Huion 1060 since last Christmas and they love it, no problems with it at all. I think this will be a huge upgrade
This is definitely a huge upgrade from the Huion 1060, although that is a very decent non-display pen tablet for very reasonable cost and not a bad tablet by any means. I have one sitting on a shelf somewhere here I should sell before it loses all its value.
Oct 24, 2007
889 posts
116 upvotes
BC
I bought this thank you. Are there any other non Wacom tablet users that can share their reviews? Has the gap between Wacom versus everyone else really narrowed that significantly?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
Siye wrote: I bought this thank you. Are there any other non Wacom tablet users that can share their reviews? Has the gap between Wacom versus everyone else really narrowed that significantly?
Wacom still has better pen displays in general, but laminated glass and some improvements in pen tech from Huion have closed the gap quite a bit, and given the cost difference Wacom is hard to justify.

For example, the Wacom Cintiq 16 non-pro is a plastic surface (rather than glass) and costs $950. I prefer the wacom software a lot and it does tilt a whole lot better, but the cost difference even at MSRP is huge.
Nov 15, 2013
868 posts
514 upvotes
Ottawa
Almost went with Huion or Xp-pen but ultimately decided to get the Tab S6 Lite. Especially after they announced Clip Studio Paint for Galaxy devices.

$429 for a touchscreen seems steep, though I'm only a hobbyist. I tried the Xp-pen Deco 01 but just couldn't get a feel for it. Probably going to donate it to Value Village one of these days.
Aug 21, 2005
25 posts
69 upvotes
Oakville
You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
Dec 2, 2009
330 posts
402 upvotes
asiak wrote: You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
Are you speaking from experience or Apple fanboy
Aug 21, 2005
25 posts
69 upvotes
Oakville
ej25i wrote: Are you speaking from experience or Apple fanboy
Experience. Sheridan arts grad and a freelance illustrator. Apple Pencil is unmatched, and Procreate's product team is amazing.
If you don't want to spend a lot, go for the cheapest iPad model that supports a Pencil (v1 even).
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
SynGamer wrote: Almost went with Huion or Xp-pen but ultimately decided to get the Tab S6 Lite. Especially after they announced Clip Studio Paint for Galaxy devices.

$429 for a touchscreen seems steep, though I'm only a hobbyist. I tried the Xp-pen Deco 01 but just couldn't get a feel for it. Probably going to donate it to Value Village one of these days.
It's not a touchscreen. It's a pen tablet display, with a pen with a high degree of pressure sensitivity. You aren't paying for it to fingerpaint, but to use with the pen. The idea being you see the things you're drawing on right under your pen, instead of looking up at a screen while drawing down on your tablet.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
asiak wrote: You're better off with an iPad + Apple Pencil + Procreate app
The downside of ipad is the extremely restrictive software control on ipad. No Krita, no way to load anything outside the app store. No easy hotkeys. the v1 pencil charging is stupid, the v2 pencil is expensive.

I'm not sure if the above deal on the hiuon kamvas 16 is the best deal for everyone, but I'm not sure the ipad is the solution for everyone.
Nov 15, 2013
868 posts
514 upvotes
Ottawa
spiralspirit wrote: It's not a touchscreen. It's a pen tablet display, with a pen with a high degree of pressure sensitivity. You aren't paying for it to fingerpaint, but to use with the pen. The idea being you see the things you're drawing on right under your pen, instead of looking up at a screen while drawing down on your tablet.
Yes, I know exactly what this is. I personally found more versatility with my Tab S6 Lite vs the Huion or Xp-pen. But yes, this will definitely have better pressure sensitivity.
Oct 24, 2007
889 posts
116 upvotes
BC
spiralspirit wrote: Wacom still has better pen displays in general, but laminated glass and some improvements in pen tech from Huion have closed the gap quite a bit, and given the cost difference Wacom is hard to justify.

For example, the Wacom Cintiq 16 non-pro is a plastic surface (rather than glass) and costs $950. I prefer the wacom software a lot and it does tilt a whole lot better, but the cost difference even at MSRP is huge.
Yes, $430 versus almost $1000 is a massive gap. If the Huion is only 80% as good it's still way better bang for your buck.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2347 posts
622 upvotes
Siye wrote: Yes, $430 versus almost $1000 is a massive gap. If the Huion is only 80% as good it's still way better bang for your buck.
It's more like 600 vs 950 (both at MSRP). And 80% as good would be pretty disastrous tbh because you're talking about drawing accuracy and line quality.

But the real question is a $600 pen display a "bang for your buck " item at all? There are way cheaper ones, or regular tablets that are even better bang for your buck. Don't compare your corolla to a Lamborghini and tall about bang for your buck. It's not the right evaluation criteria.

Even an iPad as alternative ends up costing $1000 once you buy all the accessories like pen, tablet stand, case, apps, etc and you get a way smaller display and much less comfortable drawing utensil.