[Amazon.ca] Inkbird BBQ (smoker) temperature controller (ISC-007BW) now $185

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 11:31 am
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Strider wrote: Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I'm finding out that my WSM leaks air like a sieve and the temps are high even with all the vents closed and the blower only runs to recover after opening the lid to spritz.
If you want to go "whole hog" (pun intended and couldn't be helped), you can try some of the mods available for the WSM - https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/weber-s ... tain-mods/. Many of the mods have to do with sealing the door.
Apr 8, 2005
681 posts
201 upvotes
Strider wrote: Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I'm finding out that my WSM leaks air like a sieve and the temps are high even with all the vents closed and the blower only runs to recover after opening the lid to spritz.
Maybe look into some sort or seal around the door? I've noticed a huge difference from my 1st smoke in regards to leakage. It is alot less now with all the grease build up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1063 posts
685 upvotes
Calgary
craftsman wrote:
If you want to go "whole hog" (pun intended and couldn't be helped), you can try some of the mods available for the WSM - https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/weber-s ... tain-mods/. Many of the mods have to do with sealing the door.
karlsberg wrote:
Maybe look into some sort or seal around the door? I've noticed a huge difference from my 1st smoke in regards to leakage. It is alot less now with all the grease build up.
First thing I did after watching the temps this morning was to order some adhesive high temp gasket from Amazon. Hopefully I can use it to create a gap for the probe wires between the lid and body as well.

Temp graphs are working for this cook, I wish it included fan speed (or even on/off) as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2646 posts
348 upvotes
I have the signals with the billows fan, if this is anything like that, you're all gonna love it!! I use it on my kamado smoker, and it is amazing. 12-18 hour smokes no problem, keeps temp perfectly. It does take some figuring though, as its still easy to overshoot temps if you get too much lit up at once.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1157 posts
820 upvotes
VANCOUVER
sharkman wrote: Just as a matter of interest and to throw another option out there, I ordered one of these last week for my 18.5" WSM:

https://smartfirebbq.com

Its currently swimming here from Sydney. Hopefully will have it for Xmas (sigh).

No, it was not inexpensive. $299 CAD all in.
That seems interesting too. Thanks for bringing it up. I did extensive searches and that didn't pop up at all. Shows $351 all in for me.

My inkbird shipped but tracking shows it's coming from China oddly enough. Estimated to arrive by the 8th so that's definitely coming by air. Interesting...

I'm going to try a pulled pork for my first cook. After 7 cooks, I've got it dialed in for low and slow now so if the controller doesn't cooperate, I can manually set it for 250-275 with ease.

If anyone has input on which battery bank is confirmed to work, please share. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: That seems interesting too. Thanks for bringing it up. I did extensive searches and that didn't pop up at all. Shows $351 all in for me.

My inkbird shipped but tracking shows it's coming from China oddly enough. Estimated to arrive by the 8th so that's definitely coming by air. Interesting...

I'm going to try a pulled pork for my first cook. After 7 cooks, I've got it dialed in for low and slow now so if the controller doesn't cooperate, I can manually set it for 250-275 with ease.

If anyone has input on which battery bank is confirmed to work, please share. Thanks!
It will probably be a DIY. I've got a controller on order as well so when I get it in, I'll try to rig a battery pack up... it should be relatively straight forward as it has a 12V adapter. The only thing might be the 2A that's listed in the ad copy which may be a bit of a large draw for a standard AA type of deal.
Apr 8, 2005
681 posts
201 upvotes
Arrived! Can not wait to use it. Very nice packaging, did not expect the case.
Images
  • IMG_20200904_190318.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1157 posts
820 upvotes
VANCOUVER
karlsberg wrote: Arrived! Can not wait to use it. Very nice packaging, did not expect the case.
Damn, this feels like Christmas day! Guess I'm getting stock from China. Mine is being processed in Shenzhen today so we'll see if all the units are the same.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2500 posts
254 upvotes
Winnipeg
tark514 wrote: That why I got the Party Q. Cheap, reliable, battery operated. That plus a wifi thermometer is all you need.
Is it still available anywhere? I was looking at them a while back and they aren't readily available anywhere in Canada
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9668 posts
1164 upvotes
GTA
I had received the e-mail the other day about how mine was shipping from Canada, and quoted around September 6th for delivery. Ended up receiving today. Might try a smoke on Sunday.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: Damn, this feels like Christmas day! Guess I'm getting stock from China. Mine is being processed in Shenzhen today so we'll see if all the units are the same.
Don't give up hope yet... I ordered after you did (yesterday on the 3rd in fact) and I just received a message that it's being shipped and expect delivery on Sept 11th.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1157 posts
820 upvotes
VANCOUVER
craftsman wrote: Don't give up hope yet... I ordered after you did (yesterday on the 3rd in fact) and I just received a message that it's being shipped and expect delivery on Sept 11th.
That sounds consistent with shipping from China.

Today I did a high heat (650+) test burn to see if my Akorn will cook pizzas well enough. I think it might but it exposed a serious flaw with the stock cast iron grate. Searing causes the seasoning to completely burn off and the grate to rust.

Time to search for a stainless steel grate. Oddly, my weber and other cast iron grates all seem better than the Akorn grate.
Jun 18, 2006
26 posts
17 upvotes
North York
BravoDeltaRomeo wrote: Is it still available anywhere? I was looking at them a while back and they aren't readily available anywhere in Canada
Pretty sure I read somewhere that the PartyQ has been recently discontinued.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7489 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: That sounds consistent with shipping from China.

Today I did a high heat (650+) test burn to see if my Akorn will cook pizzas well enough. I think it might but it exposed a serious flaw with the stock cast iron grate. Searing causes the seasoning to completely burn off and the grate to rust.

Time to search for a stainless steel grate. Oddly, my weber and other cast iron grates all seem better than the Akorn grate.
Not too surprised as the seasoning is typically vegetable oil which doesn't have a terribly high smoke point. What you might want to try with that Akorn grate is to re-season it with other higher temperature oils.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1424 posts
448 upvotes
To the kamado users out there that bought this, how are you installing the hose flange... In front of the bottom vent or behind? I installed it "behind" so in reality it reduces the bottom vent size when fully open,but this allows for a better seal as I added gasket behind. My issue is since this didn't come with a plug to cover the hole for the hose when not is use. How to I extinguish the charcoal after I'm done cooking? I was planning on finding a plug the right size but wondering what others are doing?