Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Inkbird BBQ (smoker) temperature controller (ISC-007BW) now $185

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 11:31 am
Dec 5, 2015
518 posts
571 upvotes
Verdun, QC
sharkman wrote: Pretty sure I read somewhere that the PartyQ has been recently discontinued.
I wonder why they discontinued it. It's work well for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2639 posts
345 upvotes
majikstic wrote: To the kamado users out there that bought this, how are you installing the hose flange... In front of the bottom vent or behind? I installed it "behind" so in reality it reduces the bottom vent size when fully open,but this allows for a better seal as I added gasket behind. My issue is since this didn't come with a plug to cover the hole for the hose when not is use. How to I extinguish the charcoal after I'm done cooking? I was planning on finding a plug the right size but wondering what others are doing?
if you close the top vent you can leave the bottom one open, it extinguishes fine. I have the signals and billows, but it's basically the same
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2499 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
tark514 wrote: I wonder why they discontinued it. It's work well for me.
So they can sell you a Bluetooth, wifi, gigabit version for 3x the price of the bare bones model.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1145 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Got my unit 1 day early but it arrived before I left for a day at the river. Got home late and so far just managed to install the metal insert in the Akorn - the insert was straight but I wished it had a slight bend. Was initially confused but got it snugged in within 5 minutes.

I don't have a plug near my kamado but will pull an extension cord tomorrow. Played with it and it seems to be fairly intuitive. Haven't read the manual to see how open the top vent should be but will figure it out later.

I'm staying low tech and not installing the app. Will use this solely to maintain temps, and will use my thermopro to monitor meat temps. No charts or graphs needed.

Now, to find a suitable power bank. The adapter shows 12V at 2000mA. It'll be a pain until I go cordless.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14543 posts
7438 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: Got my unit 1 day early but it arrived before I left for a day at the river. Got home late and so far just managed to install the metal insert in the Akorn - the insert was straight but I wished it had a slight bend. Was initially confused but got it snugged in within 5 minutes.

I don't have a plug near my kamado but will pull an extension cord tomorrow. Played with it and it seems to be fairly intuitive. Haven't read the manual to see how open the top vent should be but will figure it out later.

I'm staying low tech and not installing the app. Will use this solely to maintain temps, and will use my thermopro to monitor meat temps. No charts or graphs needed.

Now, to find a suitable power bank. The adapter shows 12V at 2000mA. It'll be a pain until I go cordless.
I would doubt that it actually runs at 2000 mA as that's a lot of power for basically a small blower fan and some electronics. I suspect mine will arrive in the next day or two and I'll see if I can't measure the current draw in order to get a more accurate number before seeing what kind of battery pack would work. But if it is 2,000 mA, you can always get one of those booster packs from Canadian Tire - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1912p.html - and you can get a cigarette lighter adapter with the correct plug size and polarity in order to power the BBQ controller.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1145 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Okay, had time to test it today. There's a very slight learning curve but got the hang of it relatively quick.

My first test burn at lunch failed miserably. It took forever too get up to 350 F and actually never got there. I think it was my fault as I never established the fire with a chimney and expected the fan to do the heavy lifting. It didn't.

Did another 350 F test burn for dinner that went much better. I actually used the chimney with a small amount of lump then put that on top of another unlit pile to fully establish it. I left the vents open until 250 F and then started to close the top vent to a small sliver. The first time it reached temps, the fan never shutoff until exactly 350 F. As expected, it overshot the mark by about 17 F. Luckily the top vent was only opened a sliver else temps probably would have overshot by 30 or 40+ F. It stayed above 350 F for quite a while as the Akorn holds temps well, with the fan only turning on again when it dropped to 350 F. It was an on or off type of thing for the fan as it was full blast at 100% or 0%. Overall, the temps stayed in a tight 348 to 353 F range after the initial overshoot, but I think the range could be minimized with an ideal top vent setting.

Can anyone confirm this unit has variable fan speeds? I swear I saw it running at 70% during my first test burn.

While pretty to look at, the case the BBQ controller came with is a waste of space. Haven't tried the meat probes yet as my Thermopro unit is more convenient.

Overall, at the $200 price point, I'm pleased with the unit, but still have to purchase a portable battery bank. At the $300 price point, I would probably buy the more expensive FB 2 drive as there's a built in battery.

Did a roasted pork belly last week with just vent control. Will test again tomorrow with the BBQ controller to see if there's any differences besides the extra convenience.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14543 posts
7438 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: Okay, had time to test it today. There's a very slight learning curve but got the hang of it relatively quick.

My first test burn at lunch failed miserably. It took forever too get up to 350 F and actually never got there. I think it was my fault as I never established the fire with a chimney and expected the fan to do the heavy lifting. It didn't.

Did another 350 F test burn for dinner that went much better. I actually used the chimney with a small amount of lump then put that on top of another unlit pile to fully establish it. I left the vents open until 250 F and then started to close the top vent to a small sliver. The first time it reached temps, the fan never shutoff until exactly 350 F. As expected, it overshot the mark by about 17 F. Luckily the top vent was only opened a sliver else temps probably would have overshot by 30 or 40+ F. It stayed above 350 F for quite a while as the Akorn holds temps well, with the fan only turning on again when it dropped to 350 F. It was an on or off type of thing for the fan as it was full blast at 100% or 0%. Overall, the temps stayed in a tight 348 to 353 F range after the initial overshoot, but I think the range could be minimized with an ideal top vent setting.

Can anyone confirm this unit has variable fan speeds? I swear I saw it running at 70% during my first test burn.

While pretty to look at, the case the BBQ controller came with is a waste of space. Haven't tried the meat probes yet as my Thermopro unit is more convenient.

Overall, at the $200 price point, I'm pleased with the unit, but still have to purchase a portable battery bank. At the $300 price point, I would probably buy the more expensive FB 2 drive as there's a built in battery.

Did a roasted pork belly last week with just vent control. Will test again tomorrow with the BBQ controller to see if there's any differences besides the extra convenience.
In summary, there's going to be a lot of good eating at your house!

One thing you might have to try is the app. According to the first video review I found, the app allows you to adjust the type of smoker you are using so that might actually have some effect on how the controller works.
Last edited by craftsman on Sep 9th, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14543 posts
7438 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Here's another video review but connecting with different types of BBQs -

Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1145 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
craftsman wrote: In summary, there's going to be a lot of good eating at your house!

One thing you might have to try is the app. According to the first video review I found, the app allows you to adjust the type of smoker you are using so that might actually have some effect on how the controller works.
You are right, I should try the app. I'm just wary of digital security now... so I might just use an old phone and sync with BT only.

Can't wait until you get yours! I'd love to see the viewpoint of someone more experienced.

I think I need to smoke a chicken. Or maybe a fish. So many options!
Dec 5, 2015
518 posts
571 upvotes
Verdun, QC
b31770 wrote: You are right, I should try the app. I'm just wary of digital security now... so I might just use an old phone and sync with BT only.

Can't wait until you get yours! I'd love to see the viewpoint of someone more experienced.

Get yourself a small chuck roast. They are fairly inexpensive, forgiving, and taste great. These units are normally used to smoke more than cook. They are very useful at keeping a steady to over a long period so the fluctuations are normal especially I for the stabilization period.

In my Komodo joe + party Q I close the top vent completely. Every time I open the BBQ it will spike in temp so I just set and forget.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1062 posts
683 upvotes
Calgary
I've done 3 cooks with the controller now and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.
After my last cook on here, I bought some high temp gasket tape from Amazon and sealed up around the door and lid of the smoker.

Most recently I did 2 racks of ribs and a pork butt, cooking for roughly 7 hours. The controller did a great job of holding the temp to 250° with crazy weather outside fluctuating from 4°C with rain/sleet to 15°C and sunny.

A couple things I haven't figured out that seem like important features
  • I can't tell if there's any way to set an alarm/notification on the app that will alert me if the temperature gets too high or too low.
  • The temperature graphs don't always show up. I thought starting the cook from the app would make it graph the temps, but I'm missing some data from my last cook.
I have seen the display showing various fan speeds (not just 0 or 100).
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14543 posts
7438 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: You are right, I should try the app. I'm just wary of digital security now... so I might just use an old phone and sync with BT only.

If you are thinking about what to smoke, I would smoke some jalapenos to make chilpotle peppers which is a great addition for a spice as we come into the Winter. I would also be smoking some salt for the same reason.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1145 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tark514 wrote: Get yourself a small chuck roast. They are fairly inexpensive, forgiving, and taste great. These units are normally used to smoke more than cook. They are very useful at keeping a steady to over a long period so the fluctuations are normal especially I for the stabilization period.

In my Komodo joe + party Q I close the top vent completely. Every time I open the BBQ it will spike in temp so I just set and forget.
I will do that. I've never cooked a chuck roast and will Google recipes unless you have a recommendation?

And you shut the vent completely? Wouldn't that snuff out the fire since there's no place for the exhaust?
Strider wrote: I've done 3 cooks with the controller now and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.
After my last cook on here, I bought some high temp gasket tape from Amazon and sealed up around the door and lid of the smoker.

Most recently I did 2 racks of ribs and a pork butt, cooking for roughly 7 hours. The controller did a great job of holding the temp to 250° with crazy weather outside fluctuating from 4°C with rain/sleet to 15°C and sunny.

A couple things I haven't figured out that seem like important features
  • I can't tell if there's any way to set an alarm/notification on the app that will alert me if the temperature gets too high or too low.
  • The temperature graphs don't always show up. I thought starting the cook from the app would make it graph the temps, but I'm missing some data from my last cook.
I have seen the display showing various fan speeds (not just 0 or 100).
Thanks for confirming the variable speeds. I'm interested to hear if anyone can answer your other questions.

craftsman wrote: If you are thinking about what to smoke, I would smoke some jalapenos to make chilpotle peppers which is a great addition for a spice as we come into the Winter. I would also be smoking some salt for the same reason.
Will add jalapenos to this month's cook. Have to expand my horizons.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2715 posts
668 upvotes
Belle River
I have a cheap offset style smoker and I never use it because it turns out I suck at maintaining fire/temperature :). Would this work for that style of smoker?

I have read/skimmed this thread seems like most people have much higher end vertical or "egg" smokers so I don't know if this would work for mine. The smoker I have although it is cheap I know can produce good results because my friend has the exact same one and his food has been great. The problem is my lack of skill, and I wonder if this device could fix that. I did see one person saying this device seemed to always be either on or off rather than slowing the fan, so overshoot might be an issue with my smoker since it isn't going to hold heat anywhere near as well as the ceramics and such.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1145 posts
816 upvotes
VANCOUVER
hystavito wrote: I have a cheap offset style smoker and I never use it because it turns out I suck at maintaining fire/temperature :). Would this work for that style of smoker?

I have read/skimmed this thread seems like most people have much higher end vertical or "egg" smokers so I don't know if this would work for mine. The smoker I have although it is cheap I know can produce good results because my friend has the exact same one and his food has been great. The problem is my lack of skill, and I wonder if this device could fix that. I did see one person saying this device seemed to always be either on or off rather than slowing the fan, so overshoot might be an issue with my smoker since it isn't going to hold heat anywhere near as well as the ceramics and such.
The on or off comment would be mine. I'm doing another test burn right now and I can confirm the fan speeds are indeed variable... for some reason, my unit was acting up last time.

If you could rig the attachment to your unit (aka drill a hole) for the fan to blow air on the charcoal, I don't see why this wouldn't work with all units.

I wouldn't be hard on yourself... it doesn't matter what unit you have, or what price you paid for it. I bought my Akorn kamado for $199.99 and it's all about the journey, right?

So, I'm doing another test burn (aka cook) with the pork belly and nothing replaces brains. I placed a decent amount of unlit lump at the bottom, then placed a small amount of lit lump in the MIDDLE. I should have placed it to the edge as placing it in the middle caused too much of the lump to light and bump up my temps too much. Lesson learned. Again lol.

I set the temps to 225 F and the fan ran at variable speeds until it hit target temps. As previously mentioned, there was too much lump lit and the kamado was increasing temps VERY quickly naturally, but the fan just made the overall situation worse. Had the fan recognized the already quick increase in temps, it wouldn't have turned on at all. Alas, temps overshot 225 F and went to the 27X F range. I burped it a few times and shut the top vent to decrease temps. Put the pork belly on and it stayed mid 260 F for a while. Cracked the top vent to a sliver and i'm sure it'll stay in the 225 - 250 F range eventually. The dome thermometer read 200 F whereas the grate temp was 70 F above.

I'm testing 1/3 of a $16 pack of Costco pork belly. Easy and cheap test cook.

Note to self, add lit lump to edge of mound of lump.

EDIT: Hah, the fun never ceases. So I left the top vent with the smallest possible opening since it was reading mid 260 F. Came back after writing the post and it was down to 202 F with the fan at 100% so I opened the top vent all the way. Played chicken but the BBQ controller won as it apparently snuffed out the lump totally. So I had to remove the grates/drip pan/etc and add a piece of lit lump to kick start the fire. Another lesson learned, never close the vent too much as it WILL snuff out the fire even with the fan blowing. So now I know the absolute minimum to leave it open since the Akorn I guess is that airtight?

Edit 2: So there's either a quirk or bug. Just like yesterday where I swore the fan was variable, but then turned to an either on/off operation mode. Same thing happened today where the fan was variable then maybe an hour in, switched to an on/off mode again. I'm going to monitor it and see if it indeed is a bug.
Last edited by b31770 on Sep 9th, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.