Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Inkbird BBQ (smoker) temperature controller (ISC-007BW) now $185

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 11:31 am
Newbie
Apr 30, 2004
38 posts
16 upvotes
Used this for the first time tonight cooking ribs on my Akron BBQ. It’s important to get coals hot and let them settle before attempting to let the controller take over. Usually takes about a hr from lighting to get to this point. Worked very well holding temps within 5 degrees to set temp. I wouldn’t bother using a device like this on this for quick cooks ie/ chicken, sausage, steak. Most smokers / bbq will be able to easily keep temps for this time frame once setup properly. Also lower longer temps would seem to be what this device is designed for and excel at. I expect this to work well for brisket. Pulled pork, roasts. Overall very great value compared to similar devices.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Okay, I think I have it finally dialed in. But I find that I need to dial in the top vent for each desired temperature else it'll always overshoot. Is this the same experience with everyone, or can you guys just leave the top vent static for all temps?

So I memorized the vent position for 275, 300, and 350, etc.

I had a question for 225 at the grate. The dome temp shows 185-190 F only. Does 185 at the dome just feel a bit low? My fire likes to snuff out at this super low temp.
Member
Feb 12, 2006
333 posts
43 upvotes
Laval
It's now 185$ with the coupon (80$) and the 5% code!
Jr. Member
Jul 15, 2001
164 posts
6 upvotes
I tried using this for a cook on the weekend and it worked great. One thing I realized is that unlike some other controllers, when you open the grill and the temps drop the fan goes to 100%, igniting your coals a little bit too much (I left it open while crutching). After closing the grill, it shot past 250 and took about an hour to to get back down (set for 225). So a tip would be to keep it closed as much as possible (or for Ink bird to implement "open cooker" status and shutting the fan off).
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
RendX wrote: I tried using this for a cook on the weekend and it worked great. One thing I realized is that unlike some other controllers, when you open the grill and the temps drop the fan goes to 100%, igniting your coals a little bit too much (I left it open while crutching). After closing the grill, it shot past 250 and took about an hour to to get back down (set for 225). So a tip would be to keep it closed as much as possible (or for Ink bird to implement "open cooker" status and shutting the fan off).
Either hold the physical button to pause it. Or use the app and stop it and restart shortly after you close the dome.

Edit: when I pause mine, the the fan doesn't remain variable and only turns on at 100% or 0%. So either that's a bug in my unit or all units. Perhaps just mine as no one else is complaining.

My workaround is to adjust the temp to 100 F or something low, which essentially pauses the fan without really pausing it. I'll see if that works, and if it does, I'll keep the unit. Nothing else comes close to this without being possibly double the price.

Edit 2: instead of adjusting temps, I put it in manual fan mode. Then just return to BBQ mode so I don't lose the previous target temps.
Last edited by b31770 on Sep 15th, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14512 posts
7417 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Finger wrote: It's now 185$ with the coupon (80$) and the 5% code!
Where they weren't selling enough at $211? Damn it!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
craftsman wrote: Where they weren't selling enough at $211? Damn it!
I think most of us paid $196 with the $55 coupon and 10% discount.
Member
Sep 23, 2005
366 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Finger wrote: It's now 185$ with the coupon (80$) and the 5% code!
Dang... just saw this... and the promo code doesn't seem to work anymore. :(
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14512 posts
7417 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
lostinpangea wrote: Dang... just saw this... and the promo code doesn't seem to work anymore. :(
I think that's because they are out of stock at Amazon. The last time this happened (when I bought mine) Inkbird reset the system and started to ship from their own warehouse into the Amazon system the next day. I suspect that they will do the same this time.
Member
Sep 23, 2005
366 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: I think that's because they are out of stock at Amazon. The last time this happened (when I bought mine) Inkbird reset the system and started to ship from their own warehouse into the Amazon system the next day. I suspect that they will do the same this time.
There were 6 still in stock when I tried. I hope you're right!
Member
Feb 12, 2006
333 posts
43 upvotes
Laval
Got mine already, very impressed by the quality of the case.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1035 posts
373 upvotes
I wanna get this solely for slow roasts like a brisket. I hated my experience trying to regulate temp because I couldnt go anywhere but my livingroom and deck.

If this thing is a set and forget gadget then this is heaven sent. I have an Akorn steel kamado.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Bought a battery bank that works with the Inkbird. Plugged it in and the fan ran at 100% without issue. It's able to charge and run at the same time so that partially mitigates the low battery capacity issue. I'll do a drain test on my next long cook this week.

I bought the lower capacity bank so there's additional options for you brisket lovers.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00ME3ZH7C

Hope that helps.

Edit: okay so dropped in a starter in the Alien and stressed test the fan at 100% for about an hour, then dropped it down to 250 F at grate level (210 at dome) with the fan running at 45% for the better part of an hour. So over 2.5 hours with mixed usage and it dropped only 1 bar. The battery bank arrived with 4/5 bars and I haven't charged it yet.

The Inkbird seems to draw very little power so I don't think 5+ hours will be an issue with this battery bank. But like I said, I won't be doing a long cook for a while.

Edit: question for Akorn owners. Are you guys able to hold 250 or 225 at the grate? At 225 grate, my dome shows 185 which is ridiculously low for the Akorn and maybe beyond it's capabilities. After trying to keep it at 250, I opened the lid and the controller is at 100% and struggling to maintain it solidly at 225, but I can't get back to 250 F despite having lots of fuel.

I just have this confusion on whether to cook at grate or dome temps. I did a beer can chicken the other day rat 350 grate and the skin wasn't crispy like in previous years at 350 dome.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14512 posts
7417 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b31770 wrote: Edit: question for Akorn owners. Are you guys able to hold 250 or 225 at the grate? At 225 grate, my dome shows 185 which is ridiculously low for the Akorn and maybe beyond it's capabilities. After trying to keep it at 250, I opened the lid and the controller is at 100% and struggling to maintain it solidly at 225, but I can't get back to 250 F despite having lots of fuel.

I just have this confusion on whether to cook at grate or dome temps. I did a beer can chicken the other day rat 350 grate and the skin wasn't crispy like in previous years at 350 dome.
That all makes sense about the grate and dome temperatures the grate is much closer to the source of heat than the dome. Most built-in thermometers are in the lid so those temps are closer to the dome than the grate. Also many of those built-in thermometers aren't as accurate as something like this so you could be off by 25 to 50F.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1142 posts
810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
craftsman wrote: That all makes sense about the grate and dome temperatures the grate is much closer to the source of heat than the dome. Most built-in thermometers are in the lid so those temps are closer to the dome than the grate. Also many of those built-in thermometers aren't as accurate as something like this so you could be off by 25 to 50F.
I think I'm going to do all my low and slow cooks at 265-275 at the grate (since I'm using a BBQ controller) which should be around 225 at the dome. My previous cooks without worrying about the grate temps all turned out better. As evident by my recent beer can chicken cook, I think I've been running temps way too low.

Grate / Dome
225 = 185
250 = 210
275 = 225

Now time to make pulled pork.

Top