Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Food Waste Disposer $373.19

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 2:53 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 24, 2007
45 posts
56 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Food Waste Disposer $373.19

Very well reviewed and powerful food waste disposal. I’ve had this for 3+ years with no issues.

This is near Amazon’s all time low. Home Depot sells for $529.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3196 posts
3264 upvotes
Vancouver
You definitely don't want any of the cheap models using galvanized steel or plastic - the sort of junk you find installed by the builder in spec-built homes. This at least is stainless steel.

But check your local bylaws - these are banned in many jurisdictions now because they don't want you putting food waste into the local sewer system, they want you to compost it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
4950 posts
3631 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Nah, green bin for me. Composting is so easy and not $400
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
520 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
Melkor wrote: Nah, green bin for me. Composting is so easy and not $400

We don't even use the green bin. Virtually everything is composted the old fashioned way in our back yard. Great fertilizer. Tomatoes love it.
Sr. Member
Jan 26, 2018
832 posts
445 upvotes
check your city bylaw first, some city bans the food waste disposer :-(
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 7, 2011
732 posts
610 upvotes
ottawa
keshan wrote: check your city bylaw first, some city bans the food waste disposer :-(
Not allowed in Ottawa for sure!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1054 posts
1143 upvotes
GTA
These are just a bad idea; sewer systems are not designed to handle food waste. Septic even worse.
I understand why people like this convenience, but let’s be more aware. It’s not the 70s anymore.
Newbie
Sep 24, 2016
27 posts
11 upvotes
No way on earth I’m gonna do additional sorting. My brown bin is left unused. I already pay enough taxes to the city, I’m not gonna do additional work...
So in my case throwing stuff in the garbage or using this will have the same environmental impact. So yes I’m gonna chose convenience since bylaws allow it where I live.

PS : I’m not a «  boomer » before anyone says so.
PPS : If they don’t want anyone to buy this, they should put a national law to prohibit sale. And then we can say we have a dictatorial government.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2004
2087 posts
1287 upvotes
Mississauga
sethqc wrote: No way on earth I’m gonna do additional sorting. My brown bin is left unused. I already pay enough taxes to the city, I’m not gonna do additional work...
So in my case throwing stuff in the garbage or using this will have the same environmental impact. So yes I’m gonna chose convenience since bylaws allow it where I live.

PS : I’m not a «  boomer » before anyone says so.
PPS : If they don’t want anyone to buy this, they should put a national law to prohibit sale. And then we can say we have a dictatorial government.
Thanks for reminding me that people like you exist
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
4950 posts
3631 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
ichibansan wrote: We don't even use the green bin. Virtually everything is composted the old fashioned way in our back yard. Great fertilizer. Tomatoes love it.
I dont really have the space in my yard for a composter, that, and my dog would get into it.

I'd love to be equipped to do that. My tomatoes and marijuana would love it!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1008 posts
738 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Scote64 wrote: You definitely don't want any of the cheap models using galvanized steel or plastic - the sort of junk you find installed by the builder in spec-built homes. This at least is stainless steel.

But check your local bylaws - these are banned in many jurisdictions now because they don't want you putting food waste into the local sewer system, they want you to compost it.
The waste management system needs to be updated to handle more and more garbage getting dumped in the sewer system, simply add a large garborator type device to pulverize everything. The system is still based on 1800's gravity system.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3196 posts
3264 upvotes
Vancouver
sirxterminator wrote: The waste management system needs to be updated to handle more and more garbage getting dumped in the sewer system, simply add a large garborator type device to pulverize everything. The system is still based on 1800's gravity system.
The issue is that excessive organic matter being discharged from the sewer system encourages unwanted bacteria and algae growth. Pulverizing it and sterilizing it before discharge doesn't help. Generally they now have to separate out the dried and sterilized solid waste and ship it to a landfill. They would rather have you separate kitchen waste at the source and send it for composting.
Newbie
Mar 3, 2020
32 posts
9 upvotes
Is this being downvoted b/c of the quality of the unit and the price, or because hypermoral people dont like sink disposals? I'm mostly concerned with product/price
Sr. Member
Mar 11, 2002
798 posts
205 upvotes
HelloTrono wrote: Is this being downvoted b/c of the quality of the unit and the price, or because hypermoral people dont like sink disposals? I'm mostly concerned with product/price
It’s all political at this point, I have had this unit installed now for almost 5 years with no issues. It is significantly less noisy (and doesn’t sound as stressed) as the 3/4 hp insekerator badger xp that my parents use.

I would say 95% of the items that go down are vegetable/non meat items.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3196 posts
3264 upvotes
Vancouver
HelloTrono wrote: Is this being downvoted b/c of the quality of the unit and the price, or because hypermoral people dont like sink disposals? I'm mostly concerned with product/price
Most of the downvotes are for "bad product" (check the little ? symbol), but given that the reviews on the product itself are fairly good, they are probably just noting that it is not legal to install in many places in Canada now. No moral judgement involved - it's illegal, and was made so for what appear to be good and valid reasons. If you want to do things like installing a banned waste disposal unit or burning trash in your back yard when there's a burning ban, that's between you and the bylaw officer giving you a ticket. :)

Top