• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 11:09 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2013
928 posts
3986 upvotes
MILTON

[Amazon.ca] Instant Pot Duo Nova 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker for $79.98

• Best for beginners: An upgrade to the all-time bestseller Instant Pot Duo series, the Duo Nova combines 7 appliances in 1: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute pan, food warmer, and yogurt maker. The 6Qt model is the most popular size, with a capacity to cook for up to 6 people – if you’re on the fence about which size is right for you, you can’t go wrong with the 6Qt
  • Healthy & consistently delicious: Duo Nova is powered by a sophisticated microprocessor that monitors and adjusts pressure, temperature, time, and heat to cook food up to 70% faster than other methods and deliver consistent, delicious results every time
  • Smart lid: The new easy seal lid gives you one less thing to worry about because it automatically seals your Instant Pot. Steam release is also a breeze with the fast, safe push of the quick release button. And it even comes with a bonus sealing ring
  • Worry-free cooking: 10+ safety features with UL certification let you “set it and forget it. ” You’re free to do other things while the Duo Nova cooks your dinner safely and quickly, with minimal mess and easy clean up. The Duo Nova’s food-grade stainless steel 304 (18/8) cooking pot is dishwasher-safe and durable, with no chemical coating.
  • Clear, simple controls: Elegant blue LCD intuitively indicates the cooking process of the multicooker. Convenient one-touch control of 13 programs can be customized to remember the way you like to cook
  • Plenty of recipes: The free Instant Pot recipes app on iOS and Android devices has 1000+ recipes to get you started on your culinary adventure. Join the millions of other Instant Pot users who share support, guidance, and the joy of cooking in the many Instant Pot online communities
  • A name you can trust: The Instant Pot Duo Nova family shares the most trusted name in cookers, bringing all the quality and convenience you’ve come to expect from Instant Pot
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3334 posts
2918 upvotes
Toronto
The Duo Crisp for $99.97 would be the better deal if you also need an air fryer

[Walmart] Instant Pot + Air fryer $99

Instant Pot Duo Nova vs Duo Crisp (Which is Best?)
These two models are very different, but there are a few similarities. They both have the EasySeal lid and EasySteam Release, both of which are fantastic safety features.

Duo Nova comes with an extra sealing ring, has a more intuitive control panel, is more versatile when it comes to anything outside air frying, and has a stainless steel cooking pot with a steaming rack.

Duo Crisp comes with two lids: pressure cooking lid and air frying lid. Some features are only available with the air fryer lid, like air frying, baking, and dehydrating. It can also sous vide, which only a few Instant Pots can do. You get a special air frying basket along with a steaming rack.

While they are both quite different, they both deliver fantastic food with lovely flavors. It’s really a matter of which features appeal to you the most.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2683 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
I have an 8qt and it's been great - but I want to get a 3qt for all the smaller things we make. Am I crazy to have two of these??

Anyone else have two?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9143 posts
7483 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Hoping to find a discounted 8 qt.
Nov 25, 2006
403 posts
217 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Hoping to find a discounted 8 qt.
I got the 8qt one for $99.99 at BB during their BF sale. Perhaps they will have it for boxing day. We just used it and it's awesome!
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote: I have an 8qt and it's been great - but I want to get a 3qt for all the smaller things we make. Am I crazy to have two of these??

Anyone else have two?
I have both an 8qt and a 6qt which get regular use.
My wife just wanted a simple rice cooker. The 8qt was on a ridiculous sale ($79) on BF 2019. After using it for a year and discovering a million other things it could do, she asked me to be on the lookout for a "smaller" one to cook rice while the bigger one cooked the rest of the meal. I paid a little more for this 6QT on PRIME day in October.

As I write this, she's got both going in the kitchen making tonight's feast. She is continuously going on about how amazing these things are!
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2698 posts
1064 upvotes
Ottawa
How is this for cooking brown/red/black rice?

I have a cheapo rice cooker that works really well. The white rice cooks fine, but the brown rice because of all the fiber or whatever, the glass cover of the rice cooker always gets messed up and I need to give it a real good clean more often than white rice. I'm wondering if it will be different with a pressure cooker.
Aug 19, 2019
69 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto GTA
lennyandcarl wrote: I have an 8qt and it's been great - but I want to get a 3qt for all the smaller things we make. Am I crazy to have two of these??

Anyone else have two?
Don't worry. We also have two. 3 and 6qts. Smaller one works perfectly for 3. One for family dinner and other when guest arrives. Not using 6 qts these days though due to covid. ;)

However, many folks get 6qts as regular due to 3qts seems very smaller for most of them but it's personal choice. We bought our 1st one 3qts few years ago when I was getting 6qts for same price. So, don't worry. Make your own choice based on your own needs. :)
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote: How is this for cooking brown/red/black rice?

I have a cheapo rice cooker that works really well. The white rice cooks fine, but the brown rice because of all the fiber or whatever, the glass cover of the rice cooker always gets messed up and I need to give it a real good clean more often than white rice. I'm wondering if it will be different with a pressure cooker.
My wife is a health nut so only brown rice is allowed into the house... The instant pot makes it idiot proof (me) and perfect every time!
Nov 25, 2013
868 posts
391 upvotes
Sauga

Anyone else have two?
Just got two. Go ahead.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30961 posts
1773 upvotes
Fernando Poo
crutzulee wrote: My wife is a health nut so only brown rice is allowed into the house... The instant pot makes it idiot proof (me) and perfect every time!
Your health nut wife should be aware that brown rice is jam backed full of arsenic.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
3264 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
Would you recommend a 6qt or 8 qt for a family of 4 (including two teenagers)?

Also, can we ditch the crock pot once we have the instant pot?
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote: Your health nut wife should be aware that brown rice is jam backed full of arsenic.

Growing up with a Sri Lankan mom that was a horrible cook, I refused to eat south asian food much of my adult life because I assumed that it all tasted like garbage. My first wife was south american so rice was not really a staple (compared to quinoa, lentils and over 300 varieties of potato)

My second wife is the health nut that pretty much lives on brown rice.

True story.. When we were first married, I was horrified to find out that white people don't wash their rice before cooking it. Although I hadn't really eaten it or cooked it in years, even I knew that you had to flush it out.
May 21, 2006
65 posts
18 upvotes
Is this worth it for someone who just wants a rice cooker?

Do they last a long time?
Jul 23, 2011
545 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
GSD wrote: Would you recommend a 6qt or 8 qt for a family of 4 (including two teenagers)?

Also, can we ditch the crock pot once we have the instant pot?
chester222 wrote: Is this worth it for someone who just wants a rice cooker?

Do they last a long time?
We bought the 8qt to use simply as a rice cooker which was overkill for the task. The myriad of uses we found for it within one year was perfect for our family of four (also 2 teenagers).

This year I bought the 6qt to make rice.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4264 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this one as it is really hard to find the Walmart one in store(near me and pandemic is another reason). The pressure sensor is weak, hopefully they are selling extra warranty for it.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2698 posts
1064 upvotes
Ottawa
crutzulee wrote:
Growing up with a Sri Lankan mom that was a horrible cook, I refused to eat south asian food much of my adult life because I assumed that it all tasted like garbage. My first wife was south american so rice was not really a staple (compared to quinoa, lentils and over 300 varieties of potato)

My second wife is the health nut that pretty much lives on brown rice.

True story.. When we were first married, I was horrified to find out that white people don't wash their rice before cooking it. Although I hadn't really eaten it or cooked it in years, even I knew that you had to flush it out.
not washing rice is one of those things that gets Mr. Rogers triggered. Why would people NOT wash rice before cooking? I guess now I also have to give it a rinse after 5 mins of cooking because of all the arsenic. But I'm wondering, how much it actually is.
rui wrote: I bought this one as it is really hard to find the Walmart one in store(near me and pandemic is another reason). The pressure sensor is weak, hopefully they are selling extra warranty for it.
What do you mean the pressure sensor is weak? It builds up too much pressure before the sensor realizes?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4264 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
eugene188 wrote: not washing rice is one of those things that gets Mr. Rogers triggered. Why would people NOT wash rice before cooking? I guess now I also have to give it a rinse after 5 mins of cooking because of all the arsenic. But I'm wondering, how much it actually is.

What do you mean the pressure sensor is weak? It builds up too much pressure before the sensor realizes?
The C6 error message on the screen indicates that the pressure sensor cannot be detected.

I had this problem with two instant pot IP-DUO-6, that’s reason I bought this one, hard to find parts to fix it myself, there’s third party one on Amazon and cost around $23, after research, I decide to buy a new instant pot instead.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1065 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
eugene188 wrote: not washing rice is one of those things that gets Mr. Rogers triggered. Why would people NOT wash rice before cooking? I guess now I also have to give it a rinse after 5 mins of cooking because of all the arsenic. But I'm wondering, how much it actually is.

As far as I know, instant pots don't have a pressure sensor. If it did, it would get gummed up by all the stuff people cook. Instead, I believe they calculate and regulate pressure using a temperature sensor. If temperature goes too high and pressure goes above the max threshhold, the gravity relief valve will let out some pressure.
Aug 18, 2017
25 posts
28 upvotes
Find yourself a deal on the Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Last night we made an amazing mac and cheese and then crisped a cracker crust on top. It was insanely good. Making Carnitas tomorrow.