Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i5BEH) - Core i5, Tall, Add't Components Needed 439.11

Jan 12, 2005
140 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
metallicloud wrote: Love my NUC8!Grinning Face
This unit can be a perfect Mac mini replacement (x86). Especially when compare it with the previous base model (i3 8100B/HD 630), better CPU performance and much better GPU performance.

Mine currently runs on Mojave (10.14.6) flawlessly using OpenCore and the latest community EFI setup. I bought the tall version so I was able to substitute M.2 SSD to a MacBook Air's Wireless/BT card (BCM94360CS2)

Everything just works fine like a real Mac Lol Including iCloud/AirDrop/Handoff/Mobile Hotspot/Apple Watch unlock, even Sidecar if you install Catalina instead. All ports function well including the Thunderbolt 3. I haven't really found any random software issues. It's incredible tbh. Never had such a pain-free hackintosh experience.

Also the i5 version suffers less from thermal throttling compare to the i7, it actually ends up having stronger continuing performance when it gets hot.

Too bad the newer NUCs don't get as good Hackintosh compatibility as NUC8s.
Thanks for sharing your experience in here. Will this NUC+64GB RAM work for Hackintosh?

There is a deal of 64GB ram at Amazon now: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZLCC6J8
Jun 17, 2003
671 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Other have already hinted at this: It probably makes sense to just buy the Mac Mini but only if you are convinced 8mb RAM and 256G SSD are enough. Upgrading to 16gb can make a big difference, and then the balance switches towards the NUC, even given the better resale value you'd get out of a proper Mac. My 2¢
andyyuen wrote: Just want to ask for your opinion.
If you were to make a choice today, Would you go straight for the new mac mini w/ m1? it is about $981 tax in @ edu store
I know that you can potentially add more ram and more storage for the NUC.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3038 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal
wruoca wrote: It’s 2 SODIMM (2x32GB).

EDIT: Ooohhh ok nvm its x8 bit width not x8 sticks. My bad read that wrong
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2577 posts
502 upvotes
Be stupid to get this over an M1 Mac Mini. Like, really stupid.
Jun 10, 2017
49 posts
56 upvotes
wruoca wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience in here. Will this NUC+64GB RAM work for Hackintosh?

There is a deal of 64GB ram at Amazon now: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZLCC6J8
Yeah it does support 64GB RAM. (Officially 32GB but 64GB is tested working)

You should be able to boot into windows 10 without a problem. But in hackintosh, 64GB RAM works only with OpenCore 0.5.3 and above (2 * 32GB). If you decide to use Clover bootloader, make sure to simulate the 64GB RAM as 4*16GB in SMBIOS, then you should be able to boot into macOS. But I always recommend OpenCore more. Just use the EFI I attached earlier. It works nicely.

(For anyone who plans to install 1 * 32GB RAM, make sure to use the upper slot, the bottom slot does not support a single 32GB stick)
Jan 12, 2005
140 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
metallicloud wrote: Yeah it does support 64GB RAM. (Officially 32GB but 64GB is tested working)

You should be able to boot into windows 10 without a problem. But in hackintosh, 64GB RAM works only with OpenCore 0.5.3 and above (2 * 32GB). If you decide to use Clover bootloader, make sure to simulate the 64GB RAM as 4*16GB in SMBIOS, then you should be able to boot into macOS. But I always recommend OpenCore more. Just use the EFI I attached earlier. It works nicely.

(For anyone who plans to install 1 * 32GB RAM, make sure to use the upper slot, the bottom slot does not support a single 32GB stick)
Very detailed information. I appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2407 posts
328 upvotes
Burnaby
good to know.
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
104 posts
133 upvotes
rfcclub wrote: Barebone like DESKMINI X300 is always a good choice. However I must wait until I get a green light :( and there is a 4000/5000 series APU available out there.
ASRock DESKMINI X300W Supports AMD AM4 Socket CPUs (Renoir, Picasso, Raven Ridge, up to 65W) AMD X300 Mini / Booksize Barebone System
For immediate buy:
Barebone price is about 249 CAD after rebate + AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 199 CAD ~ 449 CAD. Cheaper than Intel NUC and we still must add RAM + peripherals.
AMD Ryzen 3400G 199CAD
Thanks for this just learning about these. The pn50 seems more refined good to be aware of the options especially when this seems it might be cheaper if they get something with 4000/5000 support EDIT: HMMM the x300 has to 2 nvme and 2 sata connections which is more than the pn but can only output to 3 monitors...hope they make a x400 or whatever