• Feb 15th, 2018 9:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11806 posts
9168 upvotes
Oil Country

[Amazon.ca] Intel NUC (Celeron J3455) Barebone Kit (NUC6CAYH) - $164.99

I noticed this deal on Amazon last night. I believe Amazon is currently out of stock, as I was given an estimated delivery date of Tuesday, February 27 - Sunday, March 11. Keep in mind this is a barebone unit without memory, hard drive, or OS.

Instead of waiting on Amazon, I ended up getting Mike's Computer Shop to price match it down to $159.99 (beat by 10% of the difference), then used coupon code 5CONFIRM100 to knock another $5 off. I received the coupon code for signing up to their mailing list, but it appears to be a generic code. They also offer free shipping.

Product link:
https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/8133852

Mailing list link:
https://www.mikescomputershop.com/signup

My order total with tax and environmental handling fee came out $167.36 shipped ($154.99 before taxes and fees). Taxes may vary by province.

Here's a breakdown of the specs:
61 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2012
1282 posts
602 upvotes
EDMONTON
Mike's always denies my price beat requests so I gave up some time ago. They actually approved yours?
Jan 19, 2007
909 posts
607 upvotes
According to the data sheet yes. Although some sheets say it only supports it over displayport the Intel data sheet specifies 4k @ 60 Hz.

I bought 3 of these to use for signage TVs. I like them. IR receiver built in, takes a 2.5" ssd, and supports hdmi cec (power on/off only). Be careful though since it only accepts very specific memory modules (look at their compatibility list), otherwise you'll get an error during post at every single boot. Crucial sticks from Amazon won't work.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4801 posts
2832 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
delldeals8 wrote: Mike's always denies my price beat requests so I gave up some time ago. They actually approved yours?
Same here

Always deny any price match
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11806 posts
9168 upvotes
Oil Country
kronos288 wrote: According to the data sheet yes. Although some sheets say it only supports it over displayport the Intel data sheet specifies 4k @ 60 Hz.

I bought 3 of these to use for signage TVs. I like them. IR receiver built in, takes a 2.5" ssd, and supports hdmi cec (power on/off only). Be careful though since it only accepts very specific memory modules (look at their compatibility list), otherwise you'll get an error during post at every single boot. Crucial sticks from Amazon won't work.
Probably DDR3L instead of DDR3.
Jan 19, 2007
909 posts
607 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Probably DDR3L instead of DDR3.
Yes but it's not enough. It spits out a memory density error if you have memory modules where the memory chips are not manufactured in a certain way. Never seen such an issue before - totally interrupts post. Otherwise the NUC is cool for powering up and down with the TV power.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11806 posts
9168 upvotes
Oil Country
kronos288 wrote: Yes but it's not enough. It spits out a memory density error if you have memory modules where the memory chips are not manufactured in a certain way. Never seen such an issue before - totally interrupts post. Otherwise the NUC is cool for powering up and down with the TV power.
It might just need a BIOS update to fix the issue. Kind difficult to do if you don't have a working SODIMM though.
Jan 19, 2007
909 posts
607 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: It might just need a BIOS update to fix the issue. Kind difficult to do if you don't have a working SODIMM though.
No unfortunately a bios update didn't do the trick. It's a known compatibility issue (designed purposefully) with the Intel NUCs. I ended up having to order 2 Kingston DDR3L dimms from Intels list to make the error go away.

I've never had a ram selection issue in my life that's similar until this particular NUC.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1738 posts
478 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does this device work with a windows 7 install? Any driver issues?
Sep 2, 2013
205 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
fudge_u wrote: It should work in Windows 7, but Windows 10 would probably work better and perform quicker.
How well does this NUC work with kodi on 4K/60 decoding ?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1738 posts
478 upvotes
Woodbridge
fudge_u wrote: It should work in Windows 7, but Windows 10 would probably work better and perform quicker.
Only reason for Windows 7 is because I was hoping to use this as a replacement for my aging Win 7 HTPC I use for the Media Centre option. I currently use a Zotac mini PC with Celeron 3150 but I find that it's a bit sluggish sometimes navigating around the desktop. Would this one make any big differences?
Jul 28, 2010
608 posts
577 upvotes
Montreal
Good deal but if you're not in a hurry it's better to wait and see how much the new version will cost.
The new June Canyon NUC features Celeron and Pentium processors based on Intel’s Gemini Lake design, which means you should see about a 10 percent performance boost over previous-gen models with “Apollo Lake” chips and support for new features including native support for HDMI 2.0.
https://liliputing.com/2018/01/intel-ju ... -news.html
Dec 10, 2012
389 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
If I mainly uses my computer for movies/tv shows on streaming websites, would this be sufficient? I have a ATX size computer but I am planning to move the tv into my bedroom and would prefer a smaller size. I considered getting an Itx board for my cpt (have a case from old build that got sold off) but this might work fine as well
Jan 19, 2007
909 posts
607 upvotes
hkhorace wrote: If I mainly uses my computer for movies/tv shows on streaming websites, would this be sufficient? I have a ATX size computer but I am planning to move the tv into my bedroom and would prefer a smaller size. I considered getting an Itx board for my cpt (have a case from old build that got sold off) but this might work fine as well
Definitely adequate. The 3 I ordered also came with Vesa adapters you can use to mount to the back of certain TVs or monitors.
Aug 3, 2017
48 posts
40 upvotes
I have a PC with the J3455, I would personally pass.

You don't have to spend much more to get something that isn't Atom based, like the Shuttle NC02U with a Skylake Celeron.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
11806 posts
9168 upvotes
Oil Country
kronos288 wrote: No unfortunately a bios update didn't do the trick. It's a known compatibility issue (designed purposefully) with the Intel NUCs. I ended up having to order 2 Kingston DDR3L dimms from Intels list to make the error go away.

I've never had a ram selection issue in my life that's similar until this particular NUC.
Was this the issue?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... -kits.html
Aug 12, 2011
503 posts
336 upvotes
Toronto
The description on Amazon is conflicting. The product description says the basic barebones kit comes with 2GB ram and 32GB onboard storage and then upgradeable. Is this true? Does it come with those 2 things already?