• Dec 8th, 2020 4:07 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
67 posts
144 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] iPhone 12 Pro Max Black Leather case $69

Apple Leather Case with MagSafe (for iPhone 12 Pro Max) - Black
Not much discount, but as these never go on discount on apple store, this is still good.
Applies only on black.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08L5LXWFN/ref ... YFb9F886PJ
61 replies
Dec 14, 2013
136 posts
190 upvotes
AJAX
I just don't feel that spending $69+tax on a phone case is RFD 'eligible'. If you must, I'd rather put that money towards the Apple protection plan and just use the phone naked and stress free....
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2023 posts
2584 upvotes
GTA
aandaleb wrote: I just don't feel that spending $69+tax on a phone case is RFD 'eligible'. If you must, I'd rather put that money towards the Apple protection plan and just use the phone naked and stress free....
Given that the "cheapest" 12 pro max is $1,549, $69 doesn't seem like an excessive outlay on top of that.
I find the 12 rather slippery without a case and the leather case has a nice feel to it, though I still hated to spend that much, even with a 10% EPP discount.
Isn't it great that there are so many options. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sep 9, 2012
280 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
karlb wrote: Given that the "cheapest" 12 pro max is $1,549, $69 doesn't seem like an excessive outlay on top of that.
I find the 12 rather slippery without a case and the leather case has a nice feel to it, though I still hated to spend that much, even with a 10% EPP discount.
Isn't it great that there are so many options. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
How much extra protection does an apple case at $69 give over a 10-15 case?
Dec 18, 2010
580 posts
430 upvotes
Vancouver
$10 off for a case that never goes on sale, good deal! These are the best made leather cases I’ve used for any device.
Apr 25, 2007
70 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
In my opinion, if you're going to get the leather case from Apple, it's got to be the Saddle Brown color. It has the perfect brown leather look and it ages nicely. Black is kinda meh.
Sep 1, 2015
791 posts
932 upvotes
aandaleb wrote: I just don't feel that spending $69+tax on a phone case is RFD 'eligible'. If you must, I'd rather put that money towards the Apple protection plan and just use the phone naked and stress free....
Lol, if you only knew what the first Alcantara case for the Galaxy S8+ cost me. In the end, I didn't even use it much because hand cream and oil started to affect it. I can't go without cases or screen protectors though. It's why after 2-3- years my phones are still mint condition.
Nov 12, 2017
462 posts
337 upvotes
sliu070 wrote: How much extra protection does an apple case at $69 give over a 10-15 case?
Not much extra protection, but I think we have to stop seeing cases as just for downside protection. The phone is over $1550 before tax and it looks and feels beautiful. You won’t just want to slap on a cheap looking and feeling plastic case “just because”. If you’re going to spend that much on a phone, it’s clear that you like the finer things in life. The same thing should go for your phone accessories, especially if the majority of the time (if not all), the phone will be in the case.
Sep 9, 2012
280 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
krispy4 wrote: Not much extra protection, but I think we have to stop seeing cases as just for downside protection. The phone is over $1550 before tax and it looks and feels beautiful. You won’t just want to slap on a cheap looking and feeling plastic case “just because”. If you’re going to spend that much on a phone, it’s clear that you like the finer things in life. The same thing should go for your phone accessories, especially if the majority of the time (if not all), the phone will be in the case.
My point is that how a case looks is subjective. I personally think a clear gel case that provides just as much protection looks better because it maintains the original looks of the phone.
Aug 7, 2018
79 posts
172 upvotes
I think if you want protection, I rather choose speck or otterbox, and its alot cheaper.
This case will hide all the color of your iphone.
Dec 2, 2005
86 posts
11 upvotes
The leather Apple cases get dirty and breakdown very easily. Not worth it no matter the price IMO.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15019 posts
6416 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not a fan of leather cases. Some people call the wear "patina" or "character" but I think it's just ugly and discolored. My wife had a saddle brown case, and it just looked gross to me. She uses a lot of moisturizing hand creams (always lotioning up in the winter)

Having said that.....
It's a good thing that Amazon is discounting official Apple accessories. I've owned the many cases from brands like Spigen and sometimes they are ok, and sometimes they are crappy. Luckily they are cheap so I throw them out if they don't work out. The official iPad cases are a lot better than most of the aftermarket ones I've tried. So if I can find the official cases on sale, I'd prefer them. Right now on my iPhone, I'm using a cheap Silicone one and it's working well (feels similar to the official Apple ones). The speaker holes are just slightly off, but it works ok.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
May 2, 2020
148 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
People buy a $2000 phone and cheap out on a proper screen protector and a case because “$60 is too much to spend”
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
Nov 12, 2017
462 posts
337 upvotes
MrLobo wrote: The leather Apple cases get dirty and breakdown very easily. Not worth it no matter the price IMO.
Some might call it dirty, but its really just the leather ageing by interacting with your hand oils and whatnot. This is called "patina" and, to many, its seen as adding character. Consider it like the palms of your hands, no two palms are the same, with different lines and contours shaping each palm. One might consider a palm with lots of lines, folds and creases to be ugly compared to a smooth, blemish-free palm, but others might consider it well-worn and a palm that has character and a story to tell.
Mar 6, 2019
215 posts
245 upvotes
MrLobo wrote: The leather Apple cases get dirty and breakdown very easily. Not worth it no matter the price IMO.
Have used them since they were first introduced, never had an issue with them breaking down. Leather naturally develops a patina, and if you take care of it will look nicely. I have used midnight blue, saddle brown, and forest green, all loooked awesome after a year.

The red leather cases look horrendous though after a while, I will give you that.
Nov 12, 2017
462 posts
337 upvotes
sliu070 wrote: My point is that how a case looks is subjective. I personally think a clear gel case that provides just as much protection looks better because it maintains the original looks of the phone.
Yea, if that's how you feel, more kudos to you for being able to truly prefer a product that's cheaper. But I noticed you didn't comment on the feel and the experience of the case, and with a leather case, its something that "once you know, you know". But then again, I do also believe its quite expensive and for the same price or even cheaper, you can get a case that provides protection against a 40 foot fall. But I think the leather cases cover the basics (protection) and add a luxury experience that might not be so quantifiable.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27198 posts
6665 upvotes
Hamilton
Azmosis30 wrote: People buy a $2000 phone and cheap out on a proper screen protector and a case because “$60 is too much to spend”
My $1 screen protector and $9 case works just fine

This case is too rich for my blood
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
May 2, 2020
148 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
yao416 wrote: My $1 screen protector and $9 case works just fine

This case is too rich for my blood
Oh do not get me wrong, I am in the same boat with the screen protector. I typically buy Speck only because I like their style so it is the only place I splurge on.

It's just that people want to find $60 worth of quality and value at $9 which makes it hilarious while they bitch and moan about how their phone is getting banged up.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2197 posts
687 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
krispy4 wrote: Some might call it dirty, but its really just the leather ageing by interacting with your hand oils and whatnot. This is called "patina" and, to many, its seen as adding character. Consider it like the palms of your hands, no two palms are the same, with different lines and contours shaping each palm. One might consider a palm with lots of lines, folds and creases to be ugly compared to a smooth, blemish-free palm, but others might consider it well-worn and a palm that has character and a story to tell.
This. Apple and their accessories are not just another product, they are a way of life man.

In all seriousness, I picked up apple's silicone case for $69 and it is way more premium then your cheap amazon cases.