• Aug 29th, 2019 10:01 am
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
869 posts
131 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] iRobot Roomba 960 - $599

Lowest its been in 3 years according to ccc

Edit: back up to $649
Last edited by Midevilshadow on Aug 30th, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
22 replies
Jul 17, 2011
128 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Same price at Canadiantire until 29
Dec 13, 2008
336 posts
115 upvotes
Too bad Costco doesnt match. Really want their warranty for these types of products.
I'm just here for the deals....
Nov 4, 2009
253 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
THINKPOD wrote: Does it include mapping?
Looks like it does according to a few other places on the net
Mar 25, 2006
239 posts
131 upvotes
chaosthebomb wrote: Looks like it does according to a few other places on the net
but, so you know, It still relies on bumping into stuff to find its way around your place.
Feb 13, 2017
291 posts
124 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m in the market for a robot vacuum. Lately I’ve heard of many more brands on amazon that are more affordable.

For the experts on this matter, can you please share whether you would still get the Roomba at this price Or a different brand. I need something that can map and has a decent battery life.

Thank you in advance.
Aug 29, 2017
275 posts
307 upvotes
Arias1619 wrote: I’m in the market for a robot vacuum. Lately I’ve heard of many more brands on amazon that are more affordable.

For the experts on this matter, can you please share whether you would still get the Roomba at this price Or a different brand. I need something that can map and has a decent battery life.

Thank you in advance.
You should ensure you get one with mapping and depending on the size your place, resume and charging feature. The lower priced one's do random cleaning so you don't get full coverage and when the battery drains, it may clean areas it already did, etc. With my Roomba i7, I have all the rooms mapped out and each day of the week, different rooms get cleaned per schedule, etc. And after dinner, etc I can just tell Google to clean the kitchen and Google home sends the Roomba to vacuum the kitchen, etc.
May 30, 2017
41 posts
10 upvotes
I really want this!!!
Looking through the forums, the best deals on this in the past is to have it price matched at Home Depot where they will beat it by 10%
Unfortunately HD does not have it in stock right now...

so trying to figure whether I should wait for Black Friday deals or just get it on sale right now at $599
Nov 12, 2014
916 posts
588 upvotes
Kingston, ON
blisterd_nuts wrote: Too bad Costco doesnt match. Really want their warranty for these types of products.
$649 at Costco. Is the extra $50 worth it for their warranty?
Dec 13, 2008
336 posts
115 upvotes
QN5252 wrote: $649 at Costco. Is the extra $50 worth it for their warranty?
Yup. Confirming with the wife regarding the purchase. Knowing that you can return the product anytime is well worth the extra $50.
I'm just here for the deals....
Nov 4, 2009
253 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
Arias1619 wrote: I’m in the market for a robot vacuum. Lately I’ve heard of many more brands on amazon that are more affordable.

Thank you in advance.
I've been looking for quite a while. Mixed reviews on the lower end models and the ones that costco has had for <$500. Stumbled upon this Xiaomi option over at ******** but the girlfriend wanted to buy from a more "reputable" seller so I hit up this deal instead.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1389 posts
616 upvotes
I got my parents one

For my home I have the Shark Ion R85 which is highly rated as well
Mar 7, 2008
630 posts
158 upvotes
Leask
dgcan75 wrote: You should ensure you get one with mapping and depending on the size your place, resume and charging feature. The lower priced one's do random cleaning so you don't get full coverage and when the battery drains, it may clean areas it already did, etc. With my Roomba i7, I have all the rooms mapped out and each day of the week, different rooms get cleaned per schedule, etc. And after dinner, etc I can just tell Google to clean the kitchen and Google home sends the Roomba to vacuum the kitchen, etc.
Hey dude, can you confirm if it bumps into baseboard and make marks all over??
May 30, 2017
41 posts
10 upvotes
blisterd_nuts wrote: Yup. Confirming with the wife regarding the purchase. Knowing that you can return the product anytime is well worth the extra $50.
What's the return timeframe again?
I remember for awhile electronics (even laptops) were something like 6 months or something crazy like that....I think they reduced or tightened up the policy tho
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
869 posts
131 upvotes

Thank you in advance.
The Vacuum Wars channel over at youtube has an extensive amount of review videos of all sorts of brands and models that might help you make your decision.

From what I've gathered, there still isn't any single perfect robot with all the best features and pricing, so it all really depends on what you prioritize as your needs.

Ultimately I went with the Roborock S6 (Chinese brand) for basically the exact same price as this Roomba (even though I'm the one who posted it lol). But I was able to get it as at that price as I know someone from Taiwan who can bring it over to me. Otherwise I probably would have gone with this Roomba as it fit with my needs (mapping) and price range.

My previous Roomda 671 I got during Prime days was just too dumb and I had to return it.

Anyway, check out Vacuum Wars on youtube and make your own decision. I ended up watching hours of reviews before I settled on the Roborock.
Dec 3, 2008
403 posts
336 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Hey dude, can you confirm if it bumps into baseboard and make marks all over??
It doesn’t travel fast enough to leave marks when bumping into things.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1733 posts
1544 upvotes
Montréal
I've had the non mapping ones for a long time (on my third). You can decent ilife A5s types for under 200$ and at the end of the day it does almost the samething for 3x the price they still do the samething. I have my vacuum, cleaning every day at a pre-set time when we are out of the house. Depending on the size of your home it could be good enough. For about 1000sq/ft2 I am pretty satisfied.

As for the costco warranty, I would pay the extra 50$ for sure. I returned one of my roombas after a couple of years.

I think the robotic vacuum game has become commoditized and roomba isn't worth the premium anymore (2x or 3x) the price. I bought ilife for my mom and my sister stole it and she was heavily against it at first. I still have a roomba but i would just go for the best deal and not spend much more than 200$.

I'm not convinced mapping is necessary unless you are OCD and sit there and watch the vacuum and get annoyed it repeats itself - its free labour, i don't care if it isn't efficient. I could be wrong though but non mapping is fine.
Jan 22, 2019
310 posts
231 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Hey dude, can you confirm if it bumps into baseboard and make marks all over??
Yes it bumps into baseboard because it uses cameras instead of lidar, although it go fast enough to damage your baseboards and it works better during the day. If you're looking for one that is a little more courteous to your furniture (but may still bump) look at the Neato Botvac models.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5964 posts
1622 upvotes

Thank you in advance.
I have an older Roomba and it's not that great. I regret not waiting for 3D mapping. And like someone else mentions it bumps into everything. For some reason it has black that comes off on my baseboards which is wonderful.
I would never spend $500+ for this again. If I buy again it will be the one from China you see here for under $250.