• Aug 8th, 2021 9:50 pm
[OP]
Sep 16, 2011
839 posts
1364 upvotes
LONDON

[Amazon.ca] Jamieson Calcium plus Vitamin D3 Gummies - $8.99

Calcium plus Vitamin D3 Gummies - Natural Fruit Flavours, Gluten-Free

Not going into the details of what product is healthier or what it contains but I use this and usually buy it at $17.99 from Amazon

Lowest price was back in April which was $7.49

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01G2Y1EGQ
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4968 posts
3126 upvotes
I'll never understand gummies or most multivitamins. The values are sooo lowwwww.

400IU of Vitamin D3, but you probably want to aim for 2000-5000 a day, especially in Canada. For clinical depression, sometimes you can get prescriptions for +15,000 even as high as 50,000.

(Costco) Recommend most people get those Kirkland Vitamin D pills, it's a 2 pack, 360x2 pills, 1000IU. I think it's like $8-10. If you don't have a Costco membership you can either ask a friend to grab you some or if you use an InstaCart or alike just toss it on the list.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2012
1340 posts
989 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: I'll never understand gummies or most multivitamins. The values are sooo lowwwww.

400IU of Vitamin D3, but you probably want to aim for 2000-5000 a day, especially in Canada. For clinical depression, sometimes you can get prescriptions for +15,000 even as high as 50,000.

(Costco) Recommend most people get those Kirkland Vitamin D pills, it's a 2 pack, 360x2 pills, 1000IU. I think it's like $8-10. If you don't have a Costco membership you can either ask a friend to grab you some or if you use an InstaCart or alike just toss it on the list.
What you are saying is over 2X the recommendation by health Canada. Do not take excess vitamin D!

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... ition.html
Jul 17, 2007
648 posts
1337 upvotes
Milton,ON
RiCHC3 wrote: I'll never understand gummies or most multivitamins. The values are sooo lowwwww.

Totally agree with you on this, Costco actually has the Jamieson 2500iu pills now for 10 dollars I think.

I have increased to 10k a day and after two weeks I feel great
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
Dec 22, 2016
70 posts
36 upvotes

1000 IU per day is plenty for any adult in Canada. Source: pharmacist for 6 years, and graduating from medical school next year. Vitamin D isn't officially indicated for depression, so any recommended doses are purely preliminary suggestions. Over the years, recommended doses are actually being decreased (once upon a time it was said 799-2000 IU is recommended, nowadays 800-1000 IU seems to be what many guidelines and references use. Max daily dose is suggested as no more than 4000 IU due to it being fat-soluble and excess building up. All this can change any time, but this is based on current literature.

Costco usually sells this pack of 720 tablets for about $7-8 as mentioned, meaning it's 1 cent per tablet / 1 cent per day, thus will last you two years. Hard to beat that, the tablets are pretty small too (smaller than Tylenol 500mg).
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15426 posts
10066 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Luyuan20 wrote: What you are saying is over 2X the recommendation by health Canada. Do not take excess vitamin D!

Bloodwork is required, I’ve had levels checked twice and 4000IU daily is right for me, I wouldn’t recommend it though to others without knowing.

Been doing it since early on in the pandemic.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16823 posts
4602 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Luyuan20 wrote: What you are saying is over 2X the recommendation by health Canada. Do not take excess vitamin D!

I took high Vitamin D throughout the Winter months, and you are correct, without proper Vitamin K intake (through lots of greens etc), my bones literally started cracking.. and caused pain during workouts etc. The fix I found was to stop taking the 5000iu pills for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4968 posts
3126 upvotes
ish927 wrote: 1000 IU per day is plenty for any adult in Canada.
I suppose the million dollar question is in what context is 1000 IU sufficient? What is the intended purpose of supplementation, what are your unique individual needs, is it impacted by SAD or seasonal changes?

Does that apply to a 220lb man and a 115lb woman?
What about during the winter?
What about the sunniest places vs least amount of daytime in Canada?
Does activity play a factor?
Do ethnicity, skin type, or genetics play a factor?
Are there benefits to taking over 1000 IU whether it be for everyone or specific use-case scenarios?

I take about 4000 IU a day and this is my lab results for Vitamin D. First number on the right is my result, second score is the recommended range I should be in.

I've had moments where I was trying every supplement in the book and other times not wanting to spend a time and not taking any at all. The main ones I've personally noticed a difference in when I was off/on were zinc, Vitamin D, and magnesium.

Personally, I think every should be getting yearly lab work and see if you can plunk in Vitamin D in there (coverage may depend on province). May as well toss in iron and B12. Then supplement or make dietary changes as necessary.
Jan 23, 2017
66 posts
65 upvotes
Had Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 deficiency (and surprisingly Vitamin C as well). Definitely get a lab test if you can - I am not sure why doctors don't routinely test for these as a lot of health problems stem from vitamin/mineral deficiencies - B12 they discovered after I had a lot of issues (and I am not vegetarian). OHIP does not cover Vitamin D test for some reason.

I take a few of these vitamins for a few months and then stop. I read and strongly believe that body needs to learn to use vitamins/minerals from food and not always have them readily available. Your gut gets lazy. Vitamin D + fish oil (Omega 3) is the only one I take almost every day. 1000 IU is ok for maintenance if you don't have a deficiency (I no longer have it so that's what I take). I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, but would probably consult literature (not internet) and doctors for any larger dose.

Speaking of gummies these are great for kids or people who can't swallow big tablets/capsules. I picked up a few bottles of Kirkland Organic Multivitamin gummies and here and there have a few. It's also great since it's not high in vitamins/minerals so there is almost no risk of overdosing on anything. It's more of supplementing your regular diet. I am also not sure if the high dosages in other supplements are completely ok since you get all that boost in one shot and not over the day. I can take 4 gummies over the day so the dose is more spread out. Anyway, just my opinion.
Mar 7, 2017
133 posts
173 upvotes
You guys are really going to rely on Health Canada, after this whole COVID situation? Their advice and guidelines are clearly not here to better your health. You should do your own research, learn from doctors who are in the field, not family doctors who regurgitate government reccomendations. We should all be upping our Vitamin D intake way more, especially those of us who are living in the norther hemisphere.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1117 posts
871 upvotes

jesus i go to costco every now and then to buy meat in bulk with someone's membership and ive never considered this.

you're about to save me a lot of $

my iq is above 70 and i read medical literature, i know the benefits of d3 and consume a lot of it.

ty.

health canada is a paid by private interest sham. 400 IU is not enough for 99.9999% of people. I prefer to believe the researchers and the people training/creating compounds for world class athletes than some failed person working at health canada.

Anyone looking to health canada for any medical recommandation is doomed.

5htp, stjohns wort and vitamine d3 would cure most people's mild depression instead they follow the recommendation of taking SSRI's forever(when they are made for short-term).

I've taken tons of compounds over the last 25yrs that were not approved by health canada and they've fixed a lot of issues i had that were chronic. Most athletes are taking these compounds yet health canada or similar entities in other countries bans them because they aren't profitable for the bigger pharma compagnies.
Last edited by rkt1337 on Aug 8th, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2604 posts
2534 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Would like to pick up a few, how can you check the expiry date?