Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Jamieson Melatonin 100 tablets 3 mg, $5.88

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 7:04 pm
Oct 12, 2008
140 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
stealth wrote: As a middle ager, I find the quality of my sleep has gone down drastically. Can’t sleep more than 6-7hrs, always feel tired etc.
I use the sleep analysis on my fitness tracker. The biggest problem I have is, low deep sleep and deep sleep continuity. On the nights I take melatonin, I notice these numbers increase for me. So, I’ve been taking it a few times a week lately. No adverse affects.
What time do you go to bed?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
RETD wrote: Diphenhydramine belongs to a class of drugs called anticholinergics - it is in fact a strong anticholinergic

Long term use has been linked to increased risk of dementia. The jury is still out but something to be aware of.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/com ... 1501287667
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4358759/
Thanks to pointing us to this.

I am not concerned at all. All drugs have side effects, some worse than others. On the shelf drugs have side effects as well. Acetaminophen have side effects on the liver. Ibuprofen have side effects on kidneys. And so on. Not because I take 20 pills a year that I will have this issue. The main point when you take medecines is to take into consideration the possible side effects vs the issue being solved.What's worse, the lack of sleep or the ''chance'' to have brain issues after taking less than 20 gel pills a year? Take note that I use Diphenhydramine under a pharmacist recommendation, pharmacist who knows what I do take as regular prescriptions.
Dec 23, 2019
343 posts
521 upvotes
Hobbiton, Whiterun H…
DoorCrasher wrote: Thanks to pointing us to this.

I am not concerned at all. All drugs have side effects, some worse than others. On the shelf drugs have side effects as well. Acetaminophen have side effects on the liver. Ibuprofen have side effects on kidneys. And so on. Not because I take 20 pills a year that I will have this issue. The main point when you take medecines is to take into consideration the possible side effects vs the issue being solved.What's worse, the lack of sleep or the ''chance'' to have brain issues after taking less than 20 gel pills a year?
Yep. If taking regularly it's a good idea to talk to one's doctor. For myself and children, we take certain medications for ADHD, and thus were advised, by a pediatrician, family doctor, and generalist, to take melotonin, and it works well. They take 3's and I take 5's, they do well for us and are demonstrably necessary.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
spiritsBB wrote: I used to sleep so quickly back when I was a student.

Thinking back to what I used to do - I laid in bed to read a textbook.

It worked yesterday night. If it doesn't, at least I get to be productive.

It's an ultimate win-win formula.
I think our addiction to screens has caused lot more damage to us.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
825 upvotes
Newmarket
annara wrote: What time do you go to bed?
midnight usually.
Never been an early-to-bed-early-to-rise kind of person.
Going to bed early just results in restlessness and frustration for me.
Oct 12, 2008
140 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
annara wrote: What time do you go to bed?
stealth wrote: midnight usually.
Never been an early-to-bed-early-to-rise kind of person.
Going to bed early just results in restlessness and frustration for me.
This is what I thought. Try moving it earlier at least few times a week. You may notice a difference even if you wake up in the middle of night. It has something to do with natural Circadian rhythm.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
annara wrote: This is what I thought. Try moving it earlier at least few times a week. You may notice a difference even if you wake up in the middle of night. It has something to do with natural Circadian rhythm.
Agreed. Healthy long term sleep mode.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I took my 3g pill last night from the bottle I had laying around, only because of this thread, and I was up at the middle of night, tossing and turning.. and the whole day felt 'groggyish;... WTF!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1757 posts
1270 upvotes
Burnaby
weedb0y wrote: I think our addiction to screens has caused lot more damage to us.
One thing that helps a lot is do a couple things to your browser:

For example in Firefox:
1. Settings -> Search -> uncheck all the Search Suggestions so clicking on the url tab gives no search recommendation
2. Right click on where the bookmark tabs are -> Bookmark toolbar -> Never Show
3. I installed an extension called Tabliss. I set it up so whenever I open my browser, it only has a dark screen displaying the time and a greeting message instead of your search engine luring you in.

It will help you with some bad habits that leads to a waste of time.

Phone is a whole other issue - I do keep notifications to a minimum and that helps a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
ArchZeratul wrote: Source: "Trust me bro"

Kind of surprisingly(?), RFD has some of the worst medical / health takes on the Internet next to Twitter, ranging from eating horse paste to cure COVID to being scared of terrifying chemicals like "pea protein" while lining up for two hours to get 10 McD chicken nuggies for $1.

Rather than taking my word for safety or effective doses, crack open PubMed or Google Scholar. Type in your key words and crack open the studies. At a minimum go through the abstract and conclusion, but if something sounds too good to be true go look at the actual methodology and statistical methods. There are sites to bypass paywalls if you need to see the details. If you're going to compromise by putting your faith into individuals, at least make sure they have relevant credentials and actually provide references. A MD is nice, a PhD in a related science field is nicer. Don't delegate to someone with a "Dr." title since those include chiropractor quacks like "Dr." Axe or a "Dr." who has a PhD in anthropology and is now trying to recoup their tuition costs by selling you magical herbs.

If you absolutely don't want to do the work, I ran across a podcast episode a while back that discussed sleep quality aids and strategies. Instead of "trust me bro", they cite actual studies that you can view through their transcript including one of many melatonin studies. They're of varying quality but even the worst one will leave you better off than trusting a YouTube doctor giving advice with some new age music running in the background.
This should be a mandatory copy paste in every RFD thread that has anything to do with health.

Comments here are mind blowing.

We really need to teach scientific literacy in school (not gonna happen i know because the teacher don't know how it work either, I know it, I teach to them).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)