Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] JBL 305P MkII 5" 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor [one of the best studio monitors out there]

[OP]
Nov 24, 2020
49 posts
38 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] JBL 305P MkII 5" 2-Way Powered Studio Monitor [one of the best studio monitors out there]

Just kicked in in the last 5-10 minutes.

- JBL 305P MKII just dropped to CDN$135/ea. $52.82 off 5"
- JBL 306P MKII just dropped to CDN$200/ea. $76 off 6"
- JBL 308P MKII just dropped to CDN$270/ea. $39.63 off 8"

That is per speaker, you need to buy two. They are active (self powered), with an individual amp powering the tweeter and the woofer, making them superior to typical passive home speakers. They recreate the original sound the way the musicians intended you to hear. That is what studio monitors are for. Great for home theater system, and as PC speakers. For use with pc i/o, you will need these cables and adapters, 1, 2], or for crappy onboard audio, dac & cables

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077N2GQXC?psc=1

review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.10811/
https://www.audiogearz.com/review-jbl-305p-mkii/
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... or/reviews

Studio monitors are superior to stereo speakers; I recommend reading reviews online, for example using Studio Speakers for home theater. These are superb, for the price, they cannot be beaten.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 5th, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
90 replies
May 31, 2020
11 posts
1 upvote
great monitor speakers and one of the best purchases I ever made. the jump on audio quality from the Logitech Z623 i used to had is HUGE.
Jun 12, 2013
445 posts
295 upvotes
The comments imply someone picked up a pair for $240 cad at some point
[OP]
Nov 24, 2020
49 posts
38 upvotes
After months of research, and looking at dozens of studio monitors and bookshelf speakers, I was going to get a pair of these to pair with my jbl psw1200 sub, but I found a set of Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's for $135 on ebay, a friend wanted them and bought two, giving one to me as a gift. They are on their way, shipping from Vancouver. I will get these monitors in the future, these JBL's are sure to sound far superior paired with a dedicated sub, given their size. The jump from 52'w peak to 160 should be quite the upgrade, to put it lightly. I'm in no rush though, after the freebie.
Last edited by tutudid on Nov 27th, 2020 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2020
49 posts
38 upvotes
hassanmahmood wrote: The comments imply someone picked up a pair for $240 cad at some point
Get the "keepa" extension/addon for Chrome and you can see, in the 1000 days they have been on sale, they dropped only once on a boxing day to $119 each. That was the lowest they have ever been prior to and since. The second lowest they have ever been was $139. So you're in the sweet spot right now... or you could wait another 1000 days or so, if $30 extra is too much for an audiophile. I've found the annual price drops on amazon often erratic. We may get lucky this boxing day. We'll see.
Last edited by tutudid on Nov 27th, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2017
93 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver
This is an excellent deal.
- JBL 305P MKII just dropped to CDN$135/ea.
- JBL 306P MKII just dropped to CDN$200/ea.
- JBL 308P MKII just dropped to CDN$270/ea.
All prices are equivalent to US deals, wohoo!

If you're setting these up for a desktop, buy the 305P, you'll have a good setup, but only if you control that brightness (2 ways. 1. EQ 2. Dip switch in the back, for high frequency reduction).

If you're setting these up for a TV, I suggest you go with 308P.
The advantage of 308P over 305P's are...you won't need to EQ them, meaning these speakers would be more neutral, thus sound better overall.
They will play louder, and with less distortion than 305P as well.
305P goes down to 41hz (-6db point) and 308P goes down to 37hz (-6db point)...meaning they're like miniature boom boxes.
Not many speakers go down this low, for the same price, so these will put the *boom* in your room.

I have 305P MKII, bought for CDN$140/ea during last year's Nov sales.
With EQ, and in a near-field setup, they sound really good.
Hard to beat them for the money.
Buy these, and be happy.

Will the prices come down further in the next month? Maybe...we'll have to wait and see.
Dec 16, 2018
29 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
How do these compare to the JBL 104?
It looks like you need some sort of DAC in order to play audio from 3.5mm to these speakers?
Feb 24, 2004
113 posts
377 upvotes
YYC
Awesome monitors but I found them quite flat and uninspiring although detailed.

On the other hand yes, monitors are supposed to be transparent and these ones do a terrific job of that I suppose. But be warned - you may be disappointed if you are expecting to be blown away. They just don't stand out at all.

The 308P though, man - those babies are just plain naughty and will spice up your life no end!
Jan 12, 2017
93 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver
PatrickC8254 wrote: How do these compare to the JBL 104?
It looks like you need some sort of DAC in order to play audio from 3.5mm to these speakers?
Even 305P blows JBL 104 out of the water, in terms of frequency response, distortion, and bass extension.
They're not even in the same league.

Here's the cheapest way to hook up JBL 305/306/308's to your desktop/laptop (to the headphone jack)...in this case your desktop/laptop will be using the built-in DAC to send the signal to the JBL's. So no, you don't actually need a dedicated DAC.
Will a dedicated DAC give you an improvement? Yes, but as I explained, you can get away with not having it, and simply using this cable.

If you do decide to get a dedicated DAC... I recommend Topping E30. It's transparent enough for full cd-playback (meaning you won't be limited by it's performance) and has a remote (unlike most DACs that don't have the remote).
Last edited by sweetchaos on Nov 27th, 2020 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1582 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Nice to see these dropped. Had on watch at ccc but went another route with passives since I needed to hook 2 sets of speakers to 1 sub and jbls didn't have any sub out functionality.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2141 posts
1208 upvotes
Calgary
ManCaveGamer wrote: How they compare to KRK Rokits?
No auto-standby mode which is an automatic win for these. I also prefer the sound from them compared to my old KRK Rockit 5 G4 monitors.

Edit - Well apparently I didn’t read the menu screen enough as you CAN disable it as a user pointed out.
Last edited by Devhux on Nov 27th, 2020 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2020
49 posts
38 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: How they compare to KRK Rokits?
I would think the amazon reviews speak for themselves by and large, along with the price premium on the KRK Rokits, but I don't have any experience with either so I will point to others that have... amazon reviews aside, most of the audiophiles and professional producers out there bend to the 305's here are some comparisons I found online, https://bpmskills.com/producer/studio-m ... k-rokit-5/ They are the only other studio monitor I considered other than the JBL, but the price held me back. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... rison.html
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 5.1345670/
https://homedjstudio.com/krk-rokit-5-g4-review/
Last edited by tutudid on Nov 27th, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9068 posts
3934 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, I'd be sold on buying a pair... "Great for home theater system, and as PC speakers." - so how do i do that without an interface? or what's the cheapest interface/ht receiver that i can get for this purpose?

edit: nvm, I saw sweetchaos answered my question above with the cable.
sweetchaos wrote: [...]
Here's the cheapest way to hook up JBL 305/306/308's to your desktop/laptop (to the headphone jack)...in this case your desktop/laptop will be using the built-in DAC to send the signal to the JBL's. So no, you don't actually need a dedicated DAC.
Will a dedicated DAC give you an improvement? Yes, but as I explained, you can get away with not having it, and simply using this cable.
[...]
but wait, that's only for mono? how do i get stereo?
Last edited by ManCaveGamer on Nov 27th, 2020 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 28, 2012
47 posts
37 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Why is there a limit of one?
Who is buying just a single speaker?
Wouldn't everyone want a pair?

Pretty dumb on Amazon's part.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1849 posts
488 upvotes
toronto
[quote=Devhux post_id=33572074 time=1606467294 user_id=721972]
No auto-standby mode which is an automatic win for these. I also prefer the sound from them compared to my old KRK Rockit 5 G4 monitors.
[/quote]

you know you can turn that feature off on the back-panel right?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2020
49 posts
38 upvotes
A simple dac can work as the interface, In that case you would need RCA to 3.5 or XLR cables. If you are looking for a quality budget dac, these look nice, This gives you 2.0 stereo. Or skip the dac and just get a cheap 3.5 mm to RCA splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW ... 2bd9848b98
https://www.amazon.ca/Topping-E30-Deskt ... B081KTB2NZ

As for a quality budget receiver, anyone have any suggestions? second hand is always a bargain.

For a PC or any 3.5 mm device, 3.5 mm splitter to RCA left/right could work for 2.0 stereo... if you want to avoid the DAC. A quality onboard sound or soundcard is technically no different than an external DAC. They often come with a variety of connections though so you can diversify or use different cabling.

There is 3.5 to RCA L/R,

Then you would need RCA to XLR RCA to LXR to connect the speakers.

This would work if you have a decent sound output from a 3.5 mm on your PC, this is what I would use because the DAC (onboard sound card) on my system is surprisingly good.
Last edited by tutudid on Dec 4th, 2020 2:35 am, edited 14 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2141 posts
1208 upvotes
Calgary
msz87 wrote:

you know you can turn that feature off on the back-panel right?
Edit - I’m wrong. Somehow I DID miss the Standby toggle. Still, for audio quality I’m glad I swapped out with the JBL. Just find the sound more pleasing.

Having the second audio input is great too as I can have the XLR connectors go to my DJ controller, but also use the 1/4 TRS connector for booking up to my audio interface when I’m not using the controller (audio interface ports are already used up)
Last edited by Devhux on Nov 27th, 2020 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 12, 2017
93 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver
ManCaveGamer wrote: but wait, that's only for mono? how do i get stereo?
Not sure how you confused yourself.
It's a stereo breakout cable, meaning it takes a stereo signal (via 3.5mm jack) and outputs the signal to dual 1/4" TS, going to each speaker.
Jan 12, 2017
93 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver
rohitsid wrote: Why is there a limit of one?
Who is buying just a single speaker?
Wouldn't everyone want a pair?

Pretty dumb on Amazon's part.
Um... everyone who buys studio monitors for the purpose of music mastering/recording....in other words, all studio's in the world.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)