• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 12:10 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
137 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Kano Harry Potter Coding Kit $49.99

This is the lowest price in history according to camel*3.
I guess it will be a great toy for kids who love Harry Potter.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FBR1R3G
14 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4307 posts
211 upvotes
We got this 2 years ago. Kids used once, never touched again.
Nov 16, 2004
707 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
lindmar wrote: We got this 2 years ago. Kids used once, never touched again.
oof. Thanks for warning!
Aug 27, 2008
917 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. You saved me a few bucks. Thanks!
Feb 5, 2010
39 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
Are/were they big Harry Potter fans? My 8-year old is obsessed with Harry Potter, and I think she would like this. She wants to be a wizard!

Is it actually no good? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9858 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
RobCanuck wrote: Are/were they big Harry Potter fans? My 8-year old is obsessed with Harry Potter, and I think she would like this. She wants to be a wizard!

Is it actually no good? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Nothing kids love more than combining their love of Harry Potter with their love of coding.
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Jun 24, 2015
235 posts
121 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
this is so neat! i didn't know there was coding for kids! i actually know a preteen who's interested in coding/ technology. Any toy/program recommendations?
May 7, 2007
26 posts
10 upvotes
Kitchener
My daughter loved it, but she loves coding in the first place. If your kids like programing with Scratch and like Harry Potter, this likely will would work well.

So perhaps sign them up for a Scratch account and see if they like first.
Dec 6, 2008
702 posts
202 upvotes
angus_w_chan wrote: My daughter loved it, but she loves coding in the first place. If your kids like programing with Scratch and like Harry Potter, this likely will would work well.

So perhaps sign them up for a Scratch account and see if they like first.
Would Scratch be suited for a 9 year old who has never done coding?
May 12, 2003
670 posts
37 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: Would Scratch be suited for a 9 year old who has never done coding?
Absolutely, best to use some tutorials or something to start instead of just dropping in unless they have done hour of coding and stuff like that.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1948 posts
1938 upvotes
My daughter has the Frozen coding set from Kano, so I'll add my 2 cents here. She was 6 when she got it, and while it was a little over her head (I needed to assist her), it gave her a good basic level of understanding of how coding works. You're not really coding here, you're essentially dragging and dropping lines of code and changing variables to achieve a certain outcome for each 'level'. I suppose it teaches them the coding mindset and thought process. She enjoyed it, completed all the levels, though hasn't touched it in a few months now (though she does still mention it in conversation from time to time, we just haven't gotten back to it).

Each child is going to be different, some love coding, some don't. For some this will be money well spent and your child will develop a new hobby; for others it'll be deemed a waste and your child will touch it once and never again. As a parent I've spent money of several different things for my kids, and you never know which boat it'll fall into. In my opinion, buy this, give it a shot. If you're kid enjoys it, its money well spent on helping them find a new and useful hobby that will challenge their intellect. If not, big deal its only $50 and you'll learn that coding probably isn't something they are interested in. A small price to pay for something that could be life changing IMO.
May 7, 2007
26 posts
10 upvotes
Kitchener
itemsale2003 wrote: Would Scratch be suited for a 9 year old who has never done coding?
Absolutely - my son who's 8 started using it least year. My daughter started using it when she was about the same age. They have great tutorials and there are some really advanced games and other creations people have made. My former employer did a hack-a-thon using Scratch and it was truly awesome to see what the developers created using the logic blocks.