Dec 26, 2010
2063 posts
1142 upvotes
Kamloops, BC

[Amazon.ca] Kanto Desktop speaker stands $19.99

White stands only
Pretty hot imo. Way better than audioengines rubber stands for $40

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00X16 ... =UTF8&th=1

EDIT: Black and white stands also available from Newegg below.
Images
  • 61wS1Ga75RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • 81JcziupvlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Last edited by ssjlancer on Apr 4th, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
37 replies
Mar 1, 2014
633 posts
732 upvotes
What's the advantage of using them instead of letting the speakers sit directly on the table?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4157 posts
2699 upvotes
gshrfd wrote: What's the advantage of using them instead of letting the speakers sit directly on the table?
High frequency sounds from the tweeter are very much affected by the angle in relation to the listening position. Having them more in line with your ears should improve the sound. Also, the stands might help reduce any vibrations although small speakers are less likely to experience this. Depends on how close they are to other things around them too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2063 posts
1142 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
gshrfd wrote: What's the advantage of using them instead of letting the speakers sit directly on the table?
Generally you want the tweeters pointed at your ears. The stands also act as isolation pads.
Nov 24, 2015
52 posts
128 upvotes
Can also use yoga blocks instead, only a few dollars.
Dec 13, 2009
29 posts
46 upvotes
Guelph
Just picked these up for the edifier 350db. Fit perfectly and sound great angled toward the ear and isolated from the desk.
Dec 24, 2017
212 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
Picked one for my A2+. Couple of reviews said it’s fits perfectly. If not will cancel or return it. This also looks better than the Audioengine one’s
Nov 8, 2003
342 posts
332 upvotes
My cheap alternative stands are literally just door stops that I bought at a hardware store haha:

Sep 23, 2014
653 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's better to properly place your speakers at ear level, cause that's the sweet spot for sound dispersion. Tilting them up may mitigate some of the desk reflections, but then the listening angles suffer front-to-back, since you're no longer listening on axis. For the stand I used gift boxes w/ some Ikea boards and they work well. You can even DIY with chopping blocks
pupdL3T.jpg
Last edited by LockAndKey on Apr 4th, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15020 posts
6417 upvotes
Ottawa
Ideally, you should get the speaker away from nearby surfaces. So sitting them directly on a desk is the worst thing to do.

The sound of tweeter and midrange will go to your ear, and some of it will bounce off the table and then might reach your ear. So there are two things effectively emitting sound, one is direct, and one is the bouncing off the table. This doesn't help the sound quality since the speaker designer made sure it sounds best without the extra bouncing of the sound. On some speakers (the serious ones used for music production, there is switch that helps compensate for the midrange bounce).

So that's why, in the instructions for a lot of speakers, they usually say that the speaker should be 2-3 feet away from the side walls or the back wall, because it minimizes the effect of the nearby wall on the sound. Same applies to your desk

A stand like this helps direct the sound toward your ear so less of it bounces off the table. But it doesn't do enough IMO. Ideally you should position the speaker even higher. There are other stands that add 4, 6 or even 8 inches depending on where your head is. Using a stack of books would work too and is completely fine, but make sure it's a steady stack.

It's an easy tweak, and it costs nothing to use a stack of books. Sometimes the best tweaks are the cheap ones.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Nov 18, 2006
557 posts
232 upvotes
I would suggest watching for the wall mounts from Primecables (($35 reg price)) to on sale.
I mounted mine about 1ft above desk height and pointed slightly downwards == advantage is get to reclaim some desk space. I was always worried about accidentally hitting the woofers with all the clutter on my desk ...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2063 posts
1142 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
mathomas wrote: I would suggest watching for the wall mounts from Primecables (($35 reg price)) to on sale.
I mounted mine about 1ft above desk height and pointed slightly downwards == advantage is get to reclaim some desk space. I was always worried about accidentally hitting the woofers with all the clutter on my desk ...
Would take some extra work to hide the speaker cables.
Nov 25, 2015
104 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Would these work with the Kanto YU4's?
May 9, 2008
540 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Got this for my Kantos - they angle up the speaker and look nice
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10776 posts
5076 upvotes
Never needed this but once seeing this posted i decided to just 3d print a few for alot cheaper then 20 bucks lol
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Nov 25, 2017
78 posts
81 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: It's better to properly place your speakers at ear level, cause that's the sweet spot for sound dispersion. Tilting them up may mitigate some of the desk reflections, but then the listening angles suffer front-to-back, since you're no longer listening on axis. For the stand I used gift boxes w/ some Ikea boards and they work well. You can even DIY with chopping blocks

pupdL3T.jpg
Nice try bro.
I just made one. No effort at all. Easy access when you need to get lefty on a night that you can't sleep :))
Images
  • 92112651_241177767024171_2941652418477162496_n.jpg