Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kanto TUK Powered Speaker $699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2022 2:05 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1517 posts
907 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: ...

Personally I would rather get a set of Vanatoo Transparent One Encore in this price range. This is also getting to a price point where good studio monitors are available. For example, a set of Adam T5V ($600/pair) and some kind of cheap audio interface.
A lot of the appeal of these speakers are the aesthetics
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
Masernaut wrote: I was originally considering the Edifier 2000Pro. Refurbished set is $400. I want a set of speakers that isn't a soundbar and isn't a 5.1 setup for the basement entertainment/gaming space. I'm not an audiophile and just want something simple to set up (and the possibility of adding a sub).
If you can live with the limitations (& its inherent +'s) of 2.1 rig & want hassle free plug & play, then IMO this set of Kanto Tuks (or similar) is just about perfect for you. TV optical out would give best SQ. Hooking it up to chromecast would give you a pseudo wireless wifi setup to stream tunes from multiple devices.

Beauty of an active speaker rig is that all hassles of amp matching & cabling have been eliminated & one is presented with a full finish product. Not so good is that its not modifiable (at least not in the traditional audiophilia sense).

From the reviews of this Tuk rig, it would seem its good to great for the money & a sub is all one needs to complete it. Just understand that 2.1 isn't optimal for HT performance as one would lose quite a bit of the encoded spacial effects. However 2.1 is best for pure music listening pleasure.

Gain some lose some. I've been rocking the OG YU6 (paired to a active vintage 15" sub) which is fine for my needs for the past 5-6yrs. Given a choice & the need, I'd certainly contemplate deeply on this set of Tuks esp for the current sale pricing.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
JustinZ wrote: A lot of the appeal of these speakers are the aesthetics
I get it. I like a nice looking speaker too. I bought some Martin Logan LX16 way back to use as my TV system 2.1 speakers. I wanted to find something that sounded decent and looked expensive with a furniture grade finish....not a cheap looking wooden box. I would never let a set of JBL 305P anywhere near my living room.

1-martin.jpg

These Kantos follow an Apple like aesthetic, and they do look good. Sound wise, there are definitely better for the money, but they sound reasonably good for their money provided you get a good deal on them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: This is also getting to a price point where good studio monitors are available. For example, a set of Adam T5V ($600/pair) and some kind of cheap audio interface.
^^ This is the solution I would go with - a studio monitor.

Use a dedicated DAC to convert the optical out of the TV to RCA input on the speakers. Almost all better quality studio monitors have balanced inputs along with (unbalanced) RCA's.

Something like this Topping DX3 Pro+ which has also Bluetooth connectivity offering LDAC and AAC protocols and which, while intended to be a budget DAC/Headphone amp combo, and use line-out via RCA's to act as a DAC only to feed the studio monitors. Plus a remote with volume control for convenience.

Topping DX3 Pro+
https://www.amazon.ca/Topping-Bluetooth ... B09JC3TCJF

Long & McQuade, as well as Amazon, has all kinds of studio monitors in the 400 to $800 for two units range. Note how I stated "two units". Studio monitors are typically sold as "1 each".

If you want to add enhanced bottom end bass get a subwoofer that has line-in inputs with a low pass filter that then pass through the audio to line-out's to feed the studio monitors.

The low pass filter limits the low end bass to playback to the subwoofer alone, per an adjustable crossover frequency, usually between 60 and 120Hz, and passes through everything above 60 to 120 to the two studio speakers. This way the two studio monitors are more efficient and accurate in reproducing the sound frequencies given to them, leaving all the low end to the sub to handle.

A sub like this....

Adam T10S
https://www.amazon.ca/Adam-Audio-T10S-A ... B07V5XH8X6

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
Honestly, I don't understand the reviews for the TUK.

The only review that I saw that mirror my experience is this one: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/ ... rt-2-r939/
The TUK shows an amplified frequency range above between 800Hz and 6500Hz peaking at almost 75dB around 4kHz. From there they dig as deep as 53dB around 9,5kHz returning back to 67dB around 16kHz. I'd assign that result to what I have heard as a strong pushing low end & mids with perceived lack of clarity in the upper mids and the high end.
peak at 4KHz and drop at 10KHz: Image

I only enjoy them with this custom EQ: Image

The treble and bass adjustment on the remote are completely useless. I might return them since I'm only using the speakers on my desktop PC anyway. maybe Bluetooth later on but I'll have to EQ on my smartphone as well....
Last edited by andersb on Jul 5th, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
andersb wrote: Honestly, I don't understand the reviews for the TUK.

The only review that I saw that mirror my experience is this one: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/ ... rt-2-r939/

There is a huge drop at around 10KHz

The treble and bass adjustment on the remote are completely useless. I might return them since I'm only using the speakers on my desktop PC anyway. maybe Bluetooth later on but I'll have to EQ on my smartphone as well....
Doesn't look good for sure if they have that kind of frequency response. I would pass on these for sure if they sound anything like that. As mentioned, go for some studio monitors when spending this much, or the Vanatoo I mentioned. For my PC, I went with a NAD D3020 and passive speakers, there are tons of great passive speakers that run rings around these.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Doesn't look good for sure if they have that kind of frequency response. I would pass on these for sure if they sound anything like that. As mentioned, go for some studio monitors when spending this much, or the Vanatoo I mentioned. For my PC, I went with a NAD D3020 and passive speakers, there are tons of great passive speakers that run rings around these.
another frequency response chart from a YT review: Image

I don't understand how other critics are all that positive.It's as if they saw the AMT tweeter and came to the conclusion that the highs are unbelievable.lol.

(side note: I can't listen to Hotel California anymore. Torturing myself with A/B testing :))
Banned
Jun 28, 2022
4 posts
7 upvotes
One of the best looking speakers out there for casual and gaming in computer setups in this price
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
andersb wrote: another frequency response chart from a YT review: Image

I don't understand how other critics are all that positive.It's as if they saw the AMT tweeter and came to the conclusion that the highs are unbelievable.lol.

(side note: I can't listen to Hotel California anymore. Torturing myself with A/B testing :))
That looks to be one dull sounding speaker. As I'm getting older, that's the opposite of what I want in a speaker, response above 8k dropping like a rock. Normally you want a slight descending response but that huge bump at 3K mucks things up.

Well, I guess this tells you which reviewers you can't trust lol
Apr 22, 2015
112 posts
188 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Well a speaker upgrade is pretty tempting but I just got myself some damn good headphones (hifiman he400se) and can't really justify spending some more money on speakers. I already own the kanto yu4s and they don't get as much use as my headphones.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2692 posts
1742 upvotes
Home
moofachuka wrote: How does it compare to Edifier S3000pro or S2000?

Thanks
The edifiers are better.
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2007
1528 posts
1218 upvotes
I RFD wrote: The edifiers are better.
Thanks for confirming, I listened to Z demo between TUK and S3000pro and even with my crappy earphones I can still hear the Edifier better...
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
FQOGLF8 wrote: MSRP at $1099. Currently on sale for $699, last time it was on sale was $799. Matching ATL this time.
This is the official product page: https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/tuk/
Canadian company located in Vancouver.

I am upgrading from a YU4 which I've been using for 7 years. Not quite comparable to real studio monitors or high end theatre system. But it's good enough and has very simple connectivity since it is powered and has built in DAC.
lpsaad wrote: Ordered in white. Thanks op!

I'd like to hear your opinions on the Kanto TUK.
Apr 1, 2018
101 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
andersb wrote: I'd like to hear your opinions on the Kanto TUK.
I am supposed to receive it today. Will post a short review of it.
Apr 1, 2018
101 posts
363 upvotes
Canada
So far I am not impressed with it. The overall aesthetic is nice. I don't need a preamp for my turntable so it looks a bit cleaner. Punchy bass with some EQ. It ends here pretty much. Attention to details and sound quality are subpar for a set that costs $1k MSRP. Cannot compare with Yamaha HS8. Obviously a step up from YU4 but hard to justify the price difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1793 posts
909 upvotes
YYC
The TUK treble is so harsh even when you turn it down..
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
FQOGLF8 wrote: So far I am not impressed with it. The overall aesthetic is nice. I don't need a preamp for my turntable so it looks a bit cleaner. Punchy bass with some EQ. It ends here pretty much. Attention to details and sound quality are subpar for a set that costs $1k MSRP. Cannot compare with Yamaha HS8. Obviously a step up from YU4 but hard to justify the price difference.
So are you going to keep 'em?

I wonder why they went with that frequency response. Maybe they were trying to hide the poor L/R crossover balance in the upper range?

They're certainly not worth $699 to me, maybe $550-600 but now that I have them on my desk...

Btw, Monoprice have a similar size / speaker, probably manufactured by the same company: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38620 (Monolith by Monoprice MM-5R Powered Multimedia Speakers )
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Doesn't look good for sure if they have that kind of frequency response. I would pass on these for sure if they sound anything like that. As mentioned, go for some studio monitors when spending this much, or the Vanatoo I mentioned. For my PC, I went with a NAD D3020 and passive speakers, there are tons of great passive speakers that run rings around these.
I'm thinking of getting a mic to do room EQ. Yes it's another $100 for a product that should be better out of the box but I think that I'm getting close to what they should sound like + it's an opportunity to learn something new.

Back on sale at $699 btw. Kanto rep said:
Heads up on TUK, this is the lowest price it's ever been matching the 2020 BF sale price before all our speakers went up in price in 2021. Don't expect this price even for this upcoming BF.
Another option that I'm considering is the DIY route (much better sound quality at half of the price).
Last edited by andersb on Jul 12th, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I've heard the YU6 and it was quite ok....on sale I thought it was a reasonably good sounding and well featured for the price. I wouldn't touch this guy given that uneven FR out of the box, but you should be able to at least get it reasonably tonally pleasing if you are willing to EQ. They really went for a forward sounding profile, I guess that's why people are fooled into thinking this thing has a lot of detail and imaging.

Yes, the speaker looks great, but I think AMT tweeters are oversold as a silver bullet. There are good implementions integrating AMT tweeters (see Adam, Emotiva) and others doing a poor job.

The Martin Logan’s I’m using also need some EQ (room correction by way of AVR) but are reasonably even through the mids out of the box. They also use an AMT tweeter.

BE922822-45CC-4ADF-99AA-4CAB6C478401.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Which speakers did you end up going with? Been looking for an upgrade of my computer setup. Going from my Paradigm Premieres in my theatre room to the Logitech thx crap isn't fun, but space is limited on my computer desk