Amazon.ca Black Friday

Kasa HS220 - $18.99 and Smart Motion activated - $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2021 9:49 am
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
esq05 wrote: I'm curious if you can turn on another light with the motion activation.

Basically, when I enter the house (and it's night etc etc), and motion is detected, it turns on the lamp (which is another kasa switch/plug) and not the light switch is wired to.
In the Kasa app under Smart Actions, you should be able to configure the motion switch as the trigger for another switch/plug to activate.
Dec 4, 2017
379 posts
470 upvotes
Whitby
Do they have a motion sensor with 3-way connection? I can't find it.
Jan 29, 2005
493 posts
149 upvotes
esq05 wrote: I'm curious if you can turn on another light with the motion activation.

Basically, when I enter the house (and it's night etc etc), and motion is detected, it turns on the lamp (which is another kasa switch/plug) and not the light switch is wired to.
I tried out this switch and I don't think it works with their built in smart actions. They only work if the switch was turned on by manually hitting the switch. So in that sense you can link it.

I was pretty disappointed with the motion sensor sensitivity on this. It had about a 4ft range and as a result the best place to use it would be on the side of a hallway where you wanted it to turn on as you walk by and off in a short while afterwards. It does have an ambient light sensor so the motion sensor can be disabled during the day.

I ended up returning it but hope the sensitivity of the sensor can be improved so it could be used in places like the end of a hallway (pointing down the whole length of the walk).

Hope that helps!
Jan 29, 2005
493 posts
149 upvotes
ShinNoodles wrote: In the Kasa app under Smart Actions, you should be able to configure the motion switch as the trigger for another switch/plug to activate.
When I tried it, It doesn't work with the motion function, only the hard switch.

Plus they only allow a limited number of smart actions....(3?) And to link switches you need 2 actions (one in each direction)
Jan 29, 2005
493 posts
149 upvotes
MrMello wrote: Do they have a motion sensor with 3-way connection? I can't find it.
I don't think this exists
Jan 29, 2005
493 posts
149 upvotes
dilr86 wrote: Thanks, just ordered a bunch of single pole and 3 way to try around the house.
Very likely. Three way switches don't always have a neutral at both ends
Jan 12, 2006
905 posts
38 upvotes
Farles70 wrote: I looked into the 3-way dimmer the other day when I saw it on Amazon. It seems that you need to use both on one circuit, or one on the 3-way dimmer circuit (along with a dumb switch) and the second one as a regular 2-way dimmer.
I have one and can confirm it's not like the HS210 kit. I needed to use both on one circuit, and there's a primary and secondary switch. The secondary switch's LED won't turn off when the lights are on for some reason. Hopefully it's just a firmware bug.

edit: The secondary switch also does not have LEDs for displaying the brightness level. Only the primary switch has this.
Last edited by skev13 on Nov 27th, 2021 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2432 posts
1104 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all above in answering my question. Ive ordered it already and will give it a go. I will see if I can do what I need through homeassistant, I'm almost 75% sure I should be able to.
Aug 1, 2005
294 posts
260 upvotes
To those not yet invested in this ecosystem, I want to offer a word of caution. Kasa limits you to only 3 programmed rules (known as smart actions) in your entire house.

So if you have visions of devices automatically turning on and shutting off at specific times, or powering down after a certain number of minutes, you can only program three rules in total for your entire house (even if you have 20+ smart switches/bulbs/outlets).

TP-Link seems to have no intention of changing this. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with a different solution. Buyer beware.
Dec 4, 2017
379 posts
470 upvotes
Whitby
edbert wrote: I don't think this exists
Yes they do. Found some option on Amazon but for brands that I never heard before. Also for non smart there are a couple options at HD.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1304 posts
529 upvotes
redondo2017 wrote: HS200 is on sale at 12.99
I purchased these a week ago and they are already installed lol

Time to decide if re-ordering to return on the old order is worth $20 to me...
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3504 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
metaphor_ wrote: To those not yet invested in this ecosystem, I want to offer a word of caution. Kasa limits you to only 3 programmed rules (known as smart actions) in your entire house.

So if you have visions of devices automatically turning on and shutting off at specific times, or powering down after a certain number of minutes, you can only program three rules in total for your entire house (even if you have 20+ smart switches/bulbs/outlets).

TP-Link seems to have no intention of changing this. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with a different solution. Buyer beware.
Better to use home assistant for this for technical users, opens up so many more possibilities.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
2474 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
TheGoodDealer wrote: Better to use home assistant for this for technical users, opens up so many more possibilities.
Does that mean this won't be an issue if I use Google Assistant?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
2031 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
metaphor_ wrote: To those not yet invested in this ecosystem, I want to offer a word of caution. Kasa limits you to only 3 programmed rules (known as smart actions) in your entire house.

Can't you just use Google Home (or equivalent) to set up routines?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes

Just as a note of clarification: the Kasa app allows you to program more than 3 Smart Actions, but only 3 of them can be enabled at once.

However, for anyone who's already invested in a hub system, it's probably better to create those automations through your hub instead. E.g I'm using ST and I can replicate any of the 4 types of Smart Actions through ST routines.
Mar 9, 2020
310 posts
609 upvotes
Looks like the new 3 way dimmer kit is already sold out.

But more importantly, the second switch in the pair doesn't require a neutral according to the diagram. which is amazing. my 3 way setup only has neutral on one switch, I thought I'd have to have a normal decora switch as the second (I prefer consistency..)
ed67a66f-ea02-4ba5-ba8f-d8aca7628f6e.__CR0,0,1464,906_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Jan 25, 2013
198 posts
154 upvotes
Whitby
Just picked up 4 dimmer switches (3 pack and a single) and 2 x 3 way switches. Thanks OP!

I installed 4 of the colour changing bulbs outside last weekend for xmas themed colours.
I'm loving them, they're amazing. Also put my plugs on the 2 outlet kasa plug.
Now I control all my outdoor lights through the app and can change colours for different seasons/holidays.
So easy to set up and work amazing so far.
Gave me confidence to go ahead and start putting these products in my house now too.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3504 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
fyrebug wrote: Looks like the new 3 way dimmer kit is already sold out.

But more importantly, the second switch in the pair doesn't require a neutral according to the diagram. which is amazing. my 3 way setup only has neutral on one switch, I thought I'd have to have a normal decora switch as the second (I prefer consistency..)
ed67a66f-ea02-4ba5-ba8f-d8aca7628f6e.__CR0,0,1464,906_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Where was the 3 way dimmer? I thought they pulled it due to FW issues on launch, or did they fix already? I checked for the ks230 yesterday but couldn't find it :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)