Kasa HS220 - $18.99 and Smart Motion activated - $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2021 9:49 am
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1201 posts
295 upvotes
Oakville
Just an FYI... I returned the 'smart' motion dimmer a while ago.

The dimmer function on this one is pretty useless - you can literally walk up to the switch and turn on the lights manually before it'll recognize there's movement. It's got one of the most narrow fields of view of any motion sensor I've ever had a chance to use.
Sep 15, 2018
244 posts
157 upvotes
Ottawa
metaphor_ wrote: To those not yet invested in this ecosystem, I want to offer a word of caution. Kasa limits you to only 3 programmed rules (known as smart actions) in your entire house.

So if you have visions of devices automatically turning on and shutting off at specific times, or powering down after a certain number of minutes, you can only program three rules in total for your entire house (even if you have 20+ smart switches/bulbs/outlets).

TP-Link seems to have no intention of changing this. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with a different solution. Buyer beware.
Ya if you already have a zigbee or z wave hub, i think it’s best to use switches with those protocol for instant response and local control
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3503 posts
1347 upvotes
Toronto
fyrebug wrote: Looks like the new 3 way dimmer kit is already sold out.

But more importantly, the second switch in the pair doesn't require a neutral according to the diagram. which is amazing. my 3 way setup only has neutral on one switch, I thought I'd have to have a normal decora switch as the second (I prefer consistency..)
ed67a66f-ea02-4ba5-ba8f-d8aca7628f6e.__CR0,0,1464,906_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
Do you know if the second switch can be a dumb one and we can leverage the two it comes with for different lights, or do these have to be installed together?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1775 posts
1201 upvotes
Center of the univer…
MrMello wrote: Do they have a motion sensor with 3-way connection? I can't find it.
If you don't want a smart one, Lutron has a good one that works well. And, technically since its motion activated, you may realize you don't need it to be smart. I have it running in a basement staircase and auto shuts off after 10-15 mins (you can adjust the time and sensitivity)
Mar 9, 2020
310 posts
609 upvotes
TheGoodDealer wrote:
Do you know if the second switch can be a dumb one and we can leverage the two it comes with for different lights, or do these have to be installed together?
With the normal 3 way you can split them up and mix in a dumb switch, I've done it. With this new dimmer 3way, I don't have it, but from the wiring diagram with he second unit not having a neutral it looks like they cannot be split up. The satalitte switch requires the first in order to function.
Last edited by fyrebug on Nov 26th, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2017
379 posts
470 upvotes
Whitby
awais wrote: If you don't want a smart one, Lutron has a good one that works well. And, technically since its motion activated, you may realize you don't need it to be smart. I have it running in a basement staircase and auto shuts off after 10-15 mins (you can adjust the time and sensitivity)
Yep... I already have 2 lutrons and they work amazingly. However they are expensive and I thought these smart ones would be a good replacement for other areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
KennyX wrote: Just an FYI... I returned the 'smart' motion dimmer a while ago.

The dimmer function on this one is pretty useless - you can literally walk up to the switch and turn on the lights manually before it'll recognize there's movement. It's got one of the most narrow fields of view of any motion sensor I've ever had a chance to use.
I've read many similar complaints about the motion sensitivity of this switch. It's unfortunate because this is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something that would allow me to set the brightness of the light depending on time of day and have motion activation. Looks like I'll have to find another way to solve this problem. Either use dimmable smart bulbs with a "dumb" motion switch or use an external smart motion sensor with the regular Kasa dimmer.
Nov 20, 2006
331 posts
77 upvotes
GVR, BC
For the motion sensor switch, can you configure it to turn off after x minutes without activities?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2184 posts
2884 upvotes
awais wrote: If you don't want a smart one, Lutron has a good one that works well. And, technically since its motion activated, you may realize you don't need it to be smart. I have it running in a basement staircase and auto shuts off after 10-15 mins (you can adjust the time and sensitivity)
+1

I use Lurton for garage light and other areas where I just want to walk in and light turns on. I was happy to see $25 Kasa tp link one but after reading reviews I’m going to avoid it until it gets better. The lutron are pricey but work fantastic. No issues. Motion is awesome.
Feb 17, 2019
12 posts
7 upvotes
If I have two switches (1 dimmer, 1 normal switch) connected to some lights, do I need the 3-way kit or just one dimmer (HS220) and one switch (HS200) would be sufficient? I'm not sure I understand in what context the 3-way kit is needed.
Jan 12, 2006
905 posts
38 upvotes
TheGoodDealer wrote: Where was the 3 way dimmer? I thought they pulled it due to FW issues on launch, or did they fix already? I checked for the ks230 yesterday but couldn't find it :(
Mine updated FW upon install to V1.0.10.

I ordered this back in early October from Amazon and it didn't ship until earlier this week.
Nov 30, 2007
200 posts
113 upvotes
How do the Kasa's compare (quality wise) with Costco's (Feit Electric) ???
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2668 posts
2556 upvotes
KennyX wrote: Just an FYI... I returned the 'smart' motion dimmer a while ago.

MrMello wrote: Yep... I already have 2 lutrons and they work amazingly. However they are expensive and I thought these smart ones would be a good replacement for other areas.
ShinNoodles wrote: I've read many similar complaints about the motion sensitivity of this switch. It's unfortunate because this is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something that would allow me to set the brightness of the light depending on time of day and have motion activation. Looks like I'll have to find another way to solve this problem. Either use dimmable smart bulbs with a "dumb" motion switch or use an external smart motion sensor with the regular Kasa dimmer.
simplypop wrote: +1

I use Lurton for garage light and other areas where I just want to walk in and light turns on. I was happy to see $25 Kasa tp link one but after reading reviews I’m going to avoid it until it gets better. The lutron are pricey but work fantastic. No issues. Motion is awesome.
I installed a couple of the smart dimmers and yeah they are not very sensitive at all.
One was a new install in a water closet where I wanted to be able to make it dim for late night visits but the reaction time to turn on compared to the Lutron is redicuous. Lutron is instant and Kasa probably a solid 1.5seconds and as someone mentioned you can press the switch first if it's in a small space.

Second one was to replace a Lutron motion in a closet because its in a 2 gang and I have another tp-link switch in the other side and it causes the Lutron motion to randomly turn on very frequently. It's a common issue.
So I really have no choice there. I can probably hang a jacket in there before it turns the light on with the Kasa motion but with the Lutron as soon as I open the closet door the light turns on.
Jan 27, 2009
743 posts
771 upvotes
Edmonton
I just ordered the motion one wondering if it will be sensitive enough to detect the opening of garage door and triggers the other lights connected to the motion smart switch.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6307 posts
1462 upvotes
Montreal
edbert wrote: When I tried it, It doesn't work with the motion function, only the hard switch.
I'm thinking it would work with SmartThings.
Phils
Nov 22, 2006
459 posts
350 upvotes
Trois-Rivières
Thanks, bought the 3 way dimmer
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4135 posts
1744 upvotes
danishbanjo wrote: If I have two switches (1 dimmer, 1 normal switch) connected to some lights, do I need the 3-way kit or just one dimmer (HS220) and one switch (HS200) would be sufficient? I'm not sure I understand in what context the 3-way kit is needed.
You need the 3 way kit for that. The 3 way switch has an extra slot for a traveler wire that’s required so both switches can control the fixture. I am not sure if you could have 2 dimmers on the same line or if you need a normal switch with the hs230.
Nov 9, 2016
121 posts
183 upvotes
Lloydminster
Does anyone have any experience using this in an unconditioned space?

I want to use this in my detached shop that is only heated occasionally. The data sheet only shows it rated to 0C. I would need it to tolerate -35C.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)