[Amazon Canada] Kasa Smart Light Switch, Dimmer by TP-Link 39.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 4:34 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2035 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
How easy is this to install for someone completely clueless about DIY projects in the house?
I'm a techie, so I can do anything with a PC, including custom building one, but house DIY is not my forte.
Oct 9, 2011
856 posts
360 upvotes
GTA
Eluder wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:23 am
How easy is this to install for someone completely clueless about DIY projects in the house?
I'm a techie, so I can do anything with a PC, including custom building one, but house DIY is not my forte.
The wiring is probably less than 5 minutes for someone who has installed switches before. BUT, you need to make sure the electricity is turned off. If you've never replaced any electrical switches or installed any lighting fixture, then it's best not to do this yourself.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
May 22, 2012
452 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Eluder wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:23 am
You should be able to do this yourself, its pretty straight forward. Just make sure the power is turned off like the above poster said
Feb 17, 2012
72 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Was looking for dimmer switch to try out my Alexa echo dot. In for two. Thanks OP
Mar 16, 2015
77 posts
28 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I have one, it is decent works well with Google Home, no hub required. Make sure you get bulbs that can actually dim otherwise the lights might just flicker and hum when on dim/low power.

Set-up was easy but I do have a newer construction home. I don't really recall any troubles, just make sure power is off and check with a meter, just to be safe.

Eventually went with Philips Hue though but this Kasa switch is what got me started.
Jun 20, 2011
327 posts
106 upvotes
I bought two from bestbuy. Not at all happy with them.

1. Manually turning On/Off takes a good second or two. I know it’s just 1 second or two but we are used to have lights on or off instantaneously. Sometimes myself, my family and even guests wonder why it didn’t turn on instantaneously and press multiple times

2. The moment you add the switch to WiFi - the dimming functionality will be partially lost.
1% brightness will be 80%
50% brightness will be 90%
100% will be a 100%

I wish i can return them. I have other Kasa products and they work ok.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1111 posts
269 upvotes
dpw198 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:27 am
The wiring is probably less than 5 minutes for someone who has installed switches before. BUT, you need to make sure the electricity is turned off.
To further clarify, MAKE SURE THE BREAKER IS OFF or FUSE REMOVED at the Electrical Panel
Dec 17, 2015
96 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
hurlyhunk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:43 pm
I bought two from bestbuy. Not at all happy with them.

1. Manually turning On/Off takes a good second or two. I know it’s just 1 second or two but we are used to have lights on or off instantaneously. Sometimes myself, my family and even guests wonder why it didn’t turn on instantaneously and press multiple times

2. The moment you add the switch to WiFi - the dimming functionality will be partially lost.
1% brightness will be 80%
50% brightness will be 90%
100% will be a 100%

I wish i can return them. I have other Kasa products and they work ok.
1. It's a dimmer so when you turn it on from a 0% state, it goes up in percentages until it hits 100%(or the last brightness level before it was turned off). Which explains the slight delay when turning it on.

2. You can adjust the dimmer setting in the app, ie. Your 50% dim is actually closer to 50% brightness of the bulb.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1150 posts
290 upvotes
Dumb question but I assume these work with LED lights? I know last time I needed to but specific dimmers (non smart) when I had them installed in my basement