• Aug 31st, 2019 4:34 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2032 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
dpw198 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:27 am
The wiring is probably less than 5 minutes for someone who has installed switches before. BUT, you need to make sure the electricity is turned off. If you've never replaced any electrical switches or installed any lighting fixture, then it's best not to do this yourself.
platinumtiger19 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:33 am
You should be able to do this yourself, its pretty straight forward. Just make sure the power is turned off like the above poster said
Thanks, definitely know to kill the power, lol, but ya I'm wondering if I'll somehow get the wiring wrong...
Dec 13, 2008
162 posts
39 upvotes
really want to buy more but I like the Lutron Caseta dimmers as well... decisions decisions
I'm just here for the deals....
Oct 9, 2011
833 posts
335 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP!

I was really looking for one of the Kasa HS200 but it is $29.99 so I just bought this package and getting 2 dimmer switches. I'm sure I'll find another place to use the second one :)
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1213 posts
155 upvotes
Really like the TP-Link line of smart switches... Have a bunch of them in my house now. Gangbox fit can be a bit tight but after you install one or two you get the hang of it... Not a huge fan of the covers though, particularly because they're a pain in the ass to remove without damaging your wall
Mar 25, 2003
377 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
On the app you can set them to instant off instead of delayed off. Default is delay off dimming.

You can also calibrate them for LED light so the dimming work all the way down to 10% without any issues.

I have a few installed and they are great.
hurlyhunk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:43 pm
I bought two from bestbuy. Not at all happy with them.

1. Manually turning On/Off takes a good second or two. I know it’s just 1 second or two but we are used to have lights on or off instantaneously. Sometimes myself, my family and even guests wonder why it didn’t turn on instantaneously and press multiple times

2. The moment you add the switch to WiFi - the dimming functionality will be partially lost.
1% brightness will be 80%
50% brightness will be 90%
100% will be a 100%

I wish i can return them. I have other Kasa products and they work ok.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2725 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal, $5 less than what I paid last year.
Dec 31, 2009
86 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
thanks Op, I have the older TP plugs which work fine and Kasa has been easy to use.
Looking forward to these.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
1245 posts
395 upvotes
Ontario
I have the other TP switches (3-way and regular) and they all work fantastically. For the dimmers in my house I used the CE Smart ones from Costco and have only had one issue where one lost connection with the network, and I had to hard-reset it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2005
5868 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm on the Lutron set but bit and got 2.
With Google Home integration now, I guess platforms don't matter so much.

I had a general question for Smart home enthusiasts though - do they sell buttons that can perform routines via Smartthings or Google Home?

ie. I want a button on the wall by the light that turns on lights and my electrical outlet (fan) and my TV for my gym at the same time.
Oct 9, 2011
833 posts
335 upvotes
GTA
nfnx wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:09 am
I'm on the Lutron set but bit and got 2.
With Google Home integration now, I guess platforms don't matter so much.

I had a general question for Smart home enthusiasts though - do they sell buttons that can perform routines via Smartthings or Google Home?

ie. I want a button on the wall by the light that turns on lights and my electrical outlet (fan) and my TV for my gym at the same time.
Perhaps a way to do this is to set up a Scene if you're on the Apple ecosystem or set up a Routine if you're using Google.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Jun 5, 2007
169 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
nfnx wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 11:09 am
I have a SmartThings button and did the following.

Single tap will turn on the desk lamp on and main lights off in my movie room.
Double tap will turn off the desk lamp and main lights after 10 seconds.
Press and hold will toggle between (unlock my front door, turn on the outside lights and foyer lights) and locking the door, turning off the outside/foyer lights) (used when I am watching a movie and someone is at the door)

I also have the Xiaomi Aqara button and I would say get the SmartThings one as it is significantly better (battery life, double tap/hold functionality, temp sensor).
Feb 11, 2009
72 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks OP. In for 1. I have a few of the regular switches and work great with Alexa.

Guys, don't forget ebates!