Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Kasa Smart Light Switch, Dimmer by TP-Link 39.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2019 4:34 pm
Jan 19, 2006
55 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Can anyone recommend a reliable (and affordable) 3way dimming wifi option? It's a ahame TPLink doesn't offer one to round off the install....
Mar 25, 2003
377 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
hurlyhunk wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:50 pm
Thank you, wondering where can i find instant off settings ?
I have attached the screenshot.
Try changing the fade on and fade off speed to instant.
Jan 29, 2008
383 posts
45 upvotes
I am looking for new switches with dimmers and this would work out well I think. My switch box is currently 2 inches deep. I see the product dimensions are: "Product Dimensions 12.7 x 8.6 x 4.6 cm"

Is the 4.6cm the depth? Meaning 1.8 inches deep? Which would work in my switch box it looks like.

Thank you very much. Learning lots as I go.
www.havejerseys.com - Vintage throwback movie and hip-hip jerseys. Always high quality, always low prices 😎
Aug 29, 2017
27 posts
33 upvotes
Can I control 6 halogens with this? Any experience with dimming functionality for halogens?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3627 posts
764 upvotes
fix23 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 6:12 pm
I am looking for new switches with dimmers and this would work out well I think. My switch box is currently 2 inches deep. I see the product dimensions are: "Product Dimensions 12.7 x 8.6 x 4.6 cm"

Is the 4.6cm the depth? Meaning 1.8 inches deep? Which would work in my switch box it looks like.

Thank you very much. Learning lots as I go.
I just installed mine today and that would be pretty tight. The switch itself is pretty fat plus you have to jam in all 3 wires with the merrets in there. Worse case scenario, just return it if it doesn’t fit.
Jan 29, 2008
383 posts
45 upvotes
boonjaca wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:19 pm
I just installed mine today and that would be pretty tight. The switch itself is pretty fat plus you have to jam in all 3 wires with the merrets in there. Worse case scenario, just return it if it doesn’t fit.
My switch box currently has 3 light switches in it. I want to take out 1 switch and only have 2 in there. Do you think there would be enough room for this?
www.havejerseys.com - Vintage throwback movie and hip-hip jerseys. Always high quality, always low prices 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3627 posts
764 upvotes
fix23 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:31 pm
My switch box currently has 3 light switches in it. I want to take out 1 switch and only have 2 in there. Do you think there would be enough room for this?
Yes that should be fine then. I am assuming you’ll just get a blank faceplate for the missing one. I had to jam my wires behind the other light switch and it looks a little crooked.
Jan 21, 2018
842 posts
712 upvotes
Vancouver
Pouyanem wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:01 pm
Can I control 6 halogens with this? Any experience with dimming functionality for halogens?
The TP-Link switch and most other smart wall switches control up to 600 watts incandescent lights. Halogens are incandescent. Incandescents work best with dimmers because they have a nice smooth resistance and light curve.
Nov 7, 2006
368 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
fix23 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:31 pm
If you can shove all the wiring into an adjacent empty slot then it might be possible. The wiring for the neutral wire is the one that requires the most space for me due to the size of the wiring connector nut/cap.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3627 posts
764 upvotes
boonjaca wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 7:19 pm
Just to add to what I said earlier, I got 2 more of these switches today and had a hard time installing them.

They fit really tight in a 2 1/4 inch electrical box, the fat backing of the box plus the extra slack of the electrical cables makes things really tricky. The ground wire in my boxes were really short so it was extremely tricky connecting the green cable from the switch to it.

Initially I installed 2 switches in a double box, bad idea!!! I had to push hard against both to get them in then had to use my drill to tighten them. Bad thing about this was I couldn’t align them properly with the double face plate. In the end I took one out and put it somewhere else.

It was a frustrating 4 hours since I had to keep on running to the box to figure out the breakers plus I don’t know much about electrical so had to figure the wiring out.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2406 posts
426 upvotes
Hopefully these work for the new pot lights I'm having installed.