None
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
88 posts
159 upvotes
CALGARY

[Amazon.ca] Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link (HS200) $16.99

Dropped in price.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 18th, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
65 replies
Sep 8, 2010
544 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
The dimmer switch at best buy is $20. I prefer the dimmer switch over the regular one.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12253 posts
1991 upvotes
GTA
Please don't biee misleading title. Light switch and switch (network switch) are completely different. Click bait title
Nov 24, 2016
54 posts
35 upvotes
It just says Tp-link smart switch.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4571 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
Price and product number HS200 in title please.

I like the TP-Link products, and they are generally more reliable and better-supported than the competition

But I do have a couple of issues with the HS200:

Like the other TP-Link switches and outlets, it monitors the on-time so that you can track usage in the Kasa app. But for the HS-200 the value is wrong, always showing ridiculous inaccurate numbers (e.g., like showing it was on 28.5 hours in a 24-hour day when in fact it was on for 2 minutes). This bug has been outstanding for a couple of years and has not been fixed by TP-Link.

This switch goes offline more often than my other TP-Link devices, and unfortunately when that happens it doesn't recover automatically in Home Assistant like all the other TP-Link devices, it just stays offline until I restart Home Assistant. I don't know where the fault lies between TP-Link and HA on this one - I only know that it's annoying!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1167 posts
839 upvotes
Whitby
Scote64 wrote: This switch goes offline more often than my other TP-Link devices, and unfortunately when that happens it doesn't recover automatically in Home Assistant like all the other TP-Link devices, it just stays offline until I restart Home Assistant. I don't know where the fault lies between TP-Link and HA on this one - I only know that it's annoying!
I have quite a number of these switches for almost 3 yrs, they have been very reliable to me even when it was using custom handler on SmartThings. Recently I discovered these are now officially supported on SmartThings. I don't think I ever faced any offline issue.

So your problem could be Home Assistant.
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2969 posts
1573 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Price and product number HS200 in title please.

I like the TP-Link products, and they are generally more reliable and better-supported than the competition

But I do have a couple of issues with the HS200:

Like the other TP-Link switches and outlets, it monitors the on-time so that you can track usage in the Kasa app. But for the HS-200 the value is wrong, always showing ridiculous inaccurate numbers (e.g., like showing it was on 28.5 hours in a 24-hour day when in fact it was on for 2 minutes). This bug has been outstanding for a couple of years and has not been fixed by TP-Link.

This switch goes offline more often than my other TP-Link devices, and unfortunately when that happens it doesn't recover automatically in Home Assistant like all the other TP-Link devices, it just stays offline until I restart Home Assistant. I don't know where the fault lies between TP-Link and HA on this one - I only know that it's annoying!
Mines never go offline, but I don't use HA. The tp-link server (tplinkra) , on the other hand, seems to go briefly offline at midnight.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Dec 18, 2010
263 posts
110 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ovni121 wrote: The dimmer switch at best buy is $20. I prefer the dimmer switch over the regular one.
I see the dimmer switch listed as $24.99 at Best Buy.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4571 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
bogolisk wrote: Mines never go offline, but I don't use HA. The tp-link server (tplinkra) , on the other hand, seems to go briefly offline at midnight.
You can see a lot more detail when you use Home Assistant. It becomes obvious after a while that all the WiFi smart home devices lose contact momentarily once in a while (unless I suppose you have fantastically strong WiFi that never suffers interference from neighbours). They just recover automatically on the next scan cycle, and you never notice unless you happened to issue a command in those exact few seconds when it was momentarily out of contact. And if it didn't respond, you'd just re-issue the command and it would probably work the 2nd time.

The unique issue with HA and the HS200 switch is that unlike all the other TP-Link devices it doesn't reconnect automatically - it just stays offline until you restart Home Assistant.
Nov 16, 2015
620 posts
1149 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Scote64 wrote: This switch goes offline more often than my other TP-Link devices, and unfortunately when that happens it doesn't recover automatically in Home Assistant like all the other TP-Link devices, it just stays offline until I restart Home Assistant. I don't know where the fault lies between TP-Link and HA on this one - I only know that it's annoying!
I had a similar issue. After some troubleshooting I realized the switch and wall plate were not aligned correctly. As a result a small part of the wall plate was touching the reset button on the wall switch so the switch would keep resetting itself.

After adjusting the alignment i never had another issue.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12253 posts
1991 upvotes
GTA
amoote wrote: It just says Tp-link smart switch.
that means managed switch right? smart = managed
Nov 24, 2016
54 posts
35 upvotes
Most smart home devices are called "smart xxx"

Switch, bulb, whatever. I'd say that it's more common nowadays to refer to smart home devices as smart. More people are familiar with those than network devices.

...but that's just my opinion.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4571 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
qaz393 wrote: that means managed switch right? smart = managed
In the home automation field smart = connected. Being connected implies some sort of remote management, but the degree of remote management is not important.

Generally devices that have some sort of local electronic control are labeled "electronic", such as "electronic deadbolt", vs. those that are connected like "smart lock".
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4264 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
ovni121 wrote: The dimmer switch at best buy is $20. I prefer the dimmer switch over the regular one.
I saw $24.99
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2081 posts
1597 upvotes
insane666 wrote:
I see the dimmer switch listed as $24.99 at Best Buy.
rui wrote:
I saw $24.99
They are probably talking about the 3 pack @ $59.99
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2969 posts
1573 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: that means managed switch right? smart = managed
This is a wifi-controlled light switch. Not a managed Ethernet switch.
Dec 18, 2010
263 posts
110 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Chewfam wrote: They are probably talking about the 3 pack @ $59.99
I see the 3 pack listed as $69.99.
Sep 8, 2010
544 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
insane666 wrote: I see the 3 pack listed as $69.99.
My bad, just bought the 3 packs for $60 but deal seem over.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2969 posts
1573 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You can see a lot more detail when you use Home Assistant. It becomes obvious after a while that all the WiFi smart home devices lose contact momentarily once in a while (unless I suppose you have fantastically strong WiFi that never suffers interference from neighbours). They just recover automatically on the next scan cycle, and you never notice unless you happened to issue a command in those exact few seconds when it was momentarily out of contact. And if it didn't respond, you'd just re-issue the command and it would probably work the 2nd time.

The unique issue with HA and the HS200 switch is that unlike all the other TP-Link devices it doesn't reconnect automatically - it just stays offline until you restart Home Assistant.

Ok. But it's practically instantaneous when I use it. And and that's all what matters to me, as a non-HA-user.