Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KASA Smart Outdoor Plug (TP-Link) $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 1:26 pm
Jun 11, 2009
113 posts
47 upvotes
I am with you they are officially supported, but not natively. Again even read the thread you posted people are still fighting with kasa support and calling tplink and Samsung to fix things. Hey the internet is down and my kasa devices are not working, but my zwave switches and zigbee plugs are.
Jan 12, 2003
626 posts
196 upvotes
Mine is now marked as shipped from cheaper seller.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Nov 2, 2015
103 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
carldufourm wrote: Damn, seems like the price went back up to 51.55$ :(
Right, and that's the thing I hate most about Amazon. Sellers fluctuate prices by the hour and someone would not know the real price unless u install some apps to track historic price.
Nov 23, 2004
526 posts
812 upvotes
Ontario
awais wrote: wait... tplink kasa work with smartthings? ive been avoiding them in favour of zwave switches but if kasa works... i might use them as they are usually cheaper
If you want longevity and better compatibility out of your setup, stick with Zwave :) All it takes is TP-Link discontinuing Kasa, or Samsung to decide to discontinue SmartThings some day, and the devices will be useless. Smart home stuff has been around long enough now that we are starting to see manufacturers drop support for older devices and brick them, or take free products and make them subscription based, etc. You'll never have that with Zwave because it's a standard and not tied to the "cloud" to function - you can take the devices from platform to platform if you ever change loyalty and they'll work forever. They'll also work if you WiFi and internet is down, which depending on your reliance for home automation may make them a better choice too.
Jun 2, 2004
668 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Ahh... I missed the deal by a few days!

I just installed a small fountain in my front garden this would have been perfect.

Been happy so far with kasa devices nice software no real downtime on their end.

If anyone changes their mind on the plug I'm happy to pick it up :)
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1525 posts
473 upvotes
Center of the univer…
mindabsence wrote: If you want longevity and better compatibility out of your setup, stick with Zwave :) All it takes is TP-Link discontinuing Kasa, or Samsung to decide to discontinue SmartThings some day, and the devices will be useless. Smart home stuff has been around long enough now that we are starting to see manufacturers drop support for older devices and brick them, or take free products and make them subscription based, etc. You'll never have that with Zwave because it's a standard and not tied to the "cloud" to function - you can take the devices from platform to platform if you ever change loyalty and they'll work forever. They'll also work if you WiFi and internet is down, which depending on your reliance for home automation may make them a better choice too.
Definitely a good point to keep in mind, thanks!
Jul 22, 2019
957 posts
983 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: If you want longevity and better compatibility out of your setup, stick with Zwave :) All it takes is TP-Link discontinuing Kasa, or Samsung to decide to discontinue SmartThings some day, and the devices will be useless. Smart home stuff has been around long enough now that we are starting to see manufacturers drop support for older devices and brick them, or take free products and make them subscription based, etc. You'll never have that with Zwave because it's a standard and not tied to the "cloud" to function - you can take the devices from platform to platform if you ever change loyalty and they'll work forever. They'll also work if you WiFi and internet is down, which depending on your reliance for home automation may make them a better choice too.
Is zwave stuff easy to setup for newbs? I like TP LInk because all I do is plug it in, set it up and boom done. Never had anything with zwave before.
Nov 23, 2004
526 posts
812 upvotes
Ontario
simplypop wrote: Is zwave stuff easy to setup for newbs? I like TP LInk because all I do is plug it in, set it up and boom done. Never had anything with zwave before.
Yep! If you have a consumer grade hub with Zwave built-in like Samsung SmartThings then it's very effortless! I personally run the Home Assistant software on a Raspberry Pi and purchased a $35 Zwave USB stick on Amazon. Even this setup, although a little more "hands on", is incredibly easy to run too.
Dec 9, 2001
309 posts
65 upvotes
Oakville (Greater To…
Are ZWave switches and dimmers much more expensive than these Kasa or TP-link brands?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1541 posts
385 upvotes
I get your points about devices being tied to specific cloud services that can then be discontinued (we've seen it happen before, even with some of the biggest players in the home automation market), but what are you doing to address connectivity outside of your home? Do you have to VPN to your home network to get remote control of your devices? Part of the convenience of the cloud services is that you can access your devices from anywhere outside of your home wifi.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1525 posts
473 upvotes
Center of the univer…
simplypop wrote: Is zwave stuff easy to setup for newbs? I like TP LInk because all I do is plug it in, set it up and boom done. Never had anything with zwave before.
yes as mindabsence mentioned, literally place the device in pairing mode and select add a device on smartthings and it will find it for you and you are done.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1525 posts
473 upvotes
Center of the univer…
ShinNoodles wrote: I get your points about devices being tied to specific cloud services that can then be discontinued (we've seen it happen before, even with some of the biggest players in the home automation market), but what are you doing to address connectivity outside of your home? Do you have to VPN to your home network to get remote control of your devices? Part of the convenience of the cloud services is that you can access your devices from anywhere outside of your home wifi.
Smartthings lets you control zwave, zigbee devices with an app on your phone from anywhere. Similarly home automation on pi as mentioned earlier lets you do the same I believe probably after some port forwarding on the pi.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1525 posts
473 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Quant wrote: Are ZWave switches and dimmers much more expensive than these Kasa or TP-link brands?
Yes, a little more expensive, cheapest one i know of is Innoveli zwave dimmers for $45 compared to $30 wifi switches but at original price not a big price difference. Leviton ones can be had for $50-60