Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KASA Smart Outdoor Plug (TP-Link) $27.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 10:15 am
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1507 posts
361 upvotes
awais wrote: Smartthings lets you control zwave, zigbee devices with an app on your phone from anywhere. Similarly home automation on pi as mentioned earlier lets you do the same I believe probably after some port forwarding on the pi.
mindabsence's point was that if ST discontinued their service or the specific device, then you'd be SOL. My question was pertaining to remote connectivity without the cloud-connected devices like ST.
Jun 13, 2009
604 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
mindabsence wrote: If you want longevity and better compatibility out of your setup, stick with Zwave :) All it takes is TP-Link discontinuing Kasa, or Samsung to decide to discontinue SmartThings some day, and the devices will be useless. Smart home stuff has been around long enough now that we are starting to see manufacturers drop support for older devices and brick them, or take free products and make them subscription based, etc. You'll never have that with Zwave because it's a standard and not tied to the "cloud" to function - you can take the devices from platform to platform if you ever change loyalty and they'll work forever. They'll also work if you WiFi and internet is down, which depending on your reliance for home automation may make them a better choice too.
Kasa devices don't need an internet connection either once the device is registered in the app. They will not work remotely(unless you have a home vpn setup), though you can continue to control the device once you are connected to the same wifi network as the device.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2019 posts
997 upvotes
Toronto
FINALLY Amazon restock ... But it's $48.33 . Sigh
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1498 posts
439 upvotes
Center of the univer…
Jruuu wrote: Kasa devices don't need an internet connection either once the device is registered in the app. They will not work remotely(unless you have a home vpn setup), though you can continue to control the device once you are connected to the same wifi network as the device.
Control From Anywhere
Control anything connected to your smart light switch, like lights, ceiling fans or other fixtures, from anywhere using the Kasa Smart app.

I think you can based on what I'm reading?
Jun 13, 2009
604 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
awais wrote: Control From Anywhere
Control anything connected to your smart light switch, like lights, ceiling fans or other fixtures, from anywhere using the Kasa Smart app.

I think you can based on what I'm reading?
Yes you can control from anywhere. I was responding to a comment about using the devices without an internet connection.
Nov 16, 2015
525 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
And it’s back in stock at $30. Shipped and sold by amazon
Jun 2, 2004
656 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Andyc416 wrote: And it’s back in stock at $30. Shipped and sold by amazon

You beat me lol just came to post that too

Just placed my order!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3077 posts
2899 upvotes
Alberta
Mine showed up to yesterday.
Feb 21, 2007
46 posts
26 upvotes
Montr
29.99$ right now. Hurry up if, like me, you've been trying to grab one but never managed to over the past week.
Nov 16, 2015
525 posts
953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lush78 wrote: Mine showed up to yesterday.
mine came too. nice to see both plugs on the outlet are independent. works out to $15 per weatherproof plug which is pretty good.
Jun 13, 2006
857 posts
52 upvotes
Delhi
Andyc416 wrote: And it’s back in stock at $30. Shipped and sold by amazon
fantastic thanks...I was finally able to grab one...now I'm thinking, should I have grabbed two?....if it makes sense for one out front of the house...why not the back of the house too...LOL....oh RFD effect!!! LOL.
Jun 13, 2006
857 posts
52 upvotes
Delhi
I received mine today...man I should have gotten two!! LOL...