[Amazon.ca] Kasa Smart Outdoor Smart Plug by TP-Link $19.99

- 2 outlets
- IP64 water proof
- 2 year warranty
- control via smartphone
- work with google home and alexa
- wifi range up to 300 feet
Thread Summary
Looking for something for indoors? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best smart plugs!
32 replies
Mar 15, 2005
764 posts
617 upvotes
I've had one since summer of 2019. Been great for gazebo lights and a bug zapper in the summer time and Christmas lights in the winter time. I think I paid $25 for it. At $20 its a no brainer
Apr 11, 2020
212 posts
362 upvotes
Chiming with praise for this device also. I use a couple of them in my infrared sauna to turn it on and off, they've been fantastic. They've also survived in there over 6 months now, with daily use, and temperatures sometimes reaching as high as 75 celcius. These things are incredibly well built.
Jan 28, 2007
77 posts
9 upvotes
I have 3 of them outside now and they work perfectly.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1076 posts
589 upvotes
Do you plug this into a GFCI outlet? If so, isn't it weird that it just hangs off the outlet?

Or are you guys plugging into an outdoor extension cable?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2176 posts
832 upvotes
shahram0 wrote: Do you plug this into a GFCI outlet? If so, isn't it weird that it just hangs off the outlet?

Not anymore. Latest Canadian Electrical Code mandates “covered when in use” receptacle covers in new installs.
Dec 9, 2017
300 posts
714 upvotes
mine spent last summer and winter outside, hanging off the wall, been good so far.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20322 posts
6240 upvotes
Bought one even though I have no outdoor outlet. I'll think of a use for it later. Indoor TPlink switches have been working fine for the past couple years, so i expect this would work fine outdoors...

Thanks...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4139 posts
4277 upvotes
Alberta
I have two and one has been outside though 2 northern Alberta winters without a problem.
Apr 21, 2012
114 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Grabbed 2 for holiday lighting, thanks Op!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1614 posts
625 upvotes
Abbotsford
I can tell Alexa to turn on/off a plugged in light with this?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1540 posts
1666 upvotes
shahram0 wrote: Do you plug this into a GFCI outlet? If so, isn't it weird that it just hangs off the outlet?

That’s what I’m wondering about too. My outside plug has a cover. If I plug this in the cover will pop open. What is everyone doing ?
Apr 12, 2017
76 posts
69 upvotes
simplypop wrote: That’s what I’m wondering about too. My outside plug has a cover. If I plug this in the cover will pop open. What is everyone doing ?
I have a different brand of wifi plug but my outdoor plug on the house is deep enough to close the cover and there is a spot for the cable to exit on the bottom of the door and the wifi outlets are hanging below.
Mar 15, 2005
764 posts
617 upvotes
oakjefferson wrote: I can tell Alexa to turn on/off a plugged in light with this?
Yes. In fact you can give a different name to each of the 2 outlets and address them each individually.
Nov 30, 2014
204 posts
260 upvotes
Bought these a couple weeks ago. Works well with my google home minis.

I tried connecting it to my wifi and it wouldn't connect, once I reset my router, it worked.

Great for my backyard string lights. And I love the manual button to turn it off/on.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1858 posts
1187 upvotes
LOL I'm trying to justify spending 20 bucks on this, as I already have an outdoor two-outlets extension with a photosensor (from Canadian Tire). I think the one I have actually makes more sense for things like Xmas lights as it is fully automatic (unlike the smart switch where you have to do it manually every night), and doesn't depend on your WiFi being operational... But the smart one is more cool for sure :)