Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip by TP-Link - $30- (3 Smart Outlets, 2 USB ports)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2022 1:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1405 posts
1452 upvotes
ON

[Amazon.ca] Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip by TP-Link - $30- (3 Smart Outlets, 2 USB ports)

Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip by TP-Link (KP303) - Surge Protector with 3 Smart Outlets and 2 USB ports

I had been eyeing this for a long time…needed a strip for the portability factor. First time that ccc notified me of a sale.

F68D6F6F-D9B6-4F0B-8386-84BCB5EDDD90.jpeg
Last edited by Holystone on Dec 2nd, 2022 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2374 posts
2924 upvotes
im assuming u cant remote control the usb port on and off can u?
Jul 13, 2022
35 posts
59 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: im assuming u cant remote control the usb port on and off can u?
Correct, it's 3 independently controllable plugs plus 2 always on USB ports
Apr 19, 2020
571 posts
914 upvotes
langley
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: im assuming u cant remote control the usb port on and off can u?
3 smart outlets plus 2 USB ports: Support 5 appliances simultaneously with 3 independently controllable smart outlets and 2 always-on USB ports. Ideal for charging devices in the home and office.
Voice control: Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant. Free up your hands by using voice commands to control plugged in devices.
Surge protection: ETL-certified surge protection shields sensitive electronics and appliances from sudden power surges.
Control from anywhere: Use the intuitive Kasa smart app to remotely control connected devices through your mobile device.
Set schedules and timers: Create schedules/timers to turn individual outlets, on/off at specific times to increase efficiency and save money on your power bill.
Simple setup: Download the Kasa Smart app (Android, iOS), plug in your smart power strip and connect to WiFi to start controlling your devices.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
4850 posts
1064 upvotes
Can you use this strip to power on other devices (slaves) when one device (master) turns on?
Fido: $30/$25 20GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
Virgin: $40 internet plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1405 posts
1452 upvotes
ON
Unfortunately doesn’t look like it. Only the outlets are smart, USB ports are always on.

3 smart outlets plus 2 USB ports: Support 5 appliances simultaneously with 3 independently controllable smart outlets and 2 always-on USB ports. Ideal for charging devices in the home and office.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2705 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Smart features on a portable power strip seems a little odd. You'd have to attach the device to wifi anywhere you use it for the features to work, and even then, how far away from the strip are you going if you're not at home?
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2374 posts
2924 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: Smart features on a portable power strip seems a little odd. You'd have to attach the device to wifi anywhere you use it for the features to work, and even then, how far away from the strip are you going if you're not at home?
i use something similar, smart plugs that are on the wall, for bedroom lamps, so i dont have to get up to turn them off when i go to sleep, its voice controlled, or u can use app, whatever. its about convenience.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1346 posts
1218 upvotes
I have one of the CE-brand Smart power bars that Costco was clearing out years ago. When I bought it I had serious misgivings about whether or not I'd find a use for it, as it turned out I love it, I have it in my office where it controls a couple of lights and a small oil heater. It's very convenient being able to control multiple devices independently while using only one outlet.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2705 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Tiberius wrote: With this, you don't need any other home automation set up - correct?

I spotted another device like this that is a bit cheaper, and can control the USB Ports (as a group). Any reason to prefer the Kasa?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09MLPKZFL/ref ... HJ1ZQ&th=1
Correct, Kasa devices work over wifi via an app. No hub or any other devices required.
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: i use something similar, smart plugs that are on the wall, for bedroom lamps, so i dont have to get up to turn them off when i go to sleep, its voice controlled, or u can use app, whatever. its about convenience.
I get the use of smart plugs and outlets and a power strip, but if you're buying one for home use, then why not just get a full size smart power strip instead of this one meant for travel use?
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2019
2374 posts
2924 upvotes
GeeCee wrote: Correct, Kasa devices work over wifi via an app. No hub or any other devices required.
I get the use of smart plugs and outlets and a power strip, but if you're buying one for home use, then why not just get a full size smart power strip instead of this one meant for travel use?
maybe its not necessary to spend more money on more plugs that u dont need? it also takes up more room. and u can def use this on trips too, like if u rent an airbnb for a week, its not that much hassle to just switch its network.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21125 posts
5804 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
GeeCee wrote: Smart features on a portable power strip seems a little odd. You'd have to attach the device to wifi anywhere you use it for the features to work, and even then, how far away from the strip are you going if you're not at home?
I have one of these and I use it to automatically charge up my lawn mower and power tool batteries. It turns on the chargers in the middle of the night when electricity is cheap. Saves money and I don't have to remember when to charge the batteries
Tiberius wrote: With this, you don't need any other home automation set up - correct?
Yes, but that also means you have no privacy, and you're dependant on the TP-Link company not going out of business.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4892 posts
961 upvotes
Georgetown
Jucius Maximus wrote: I have one of these and I use it to automatically charge up my lawn mower and power tool batteries. It turns on the chargers in the middle of the night when electricity is cheap. Saves money and I don't have to remember when to charge the batteries

Yes, but that also means you have no privacy, and you're dependant on the TP-Link company not going out of business.
Can you elaborate on the "no privacy" thing? This seems to imply it would be connected to a TP-Link external server? Because that server has access insidey our home network, you are suggesting they could snoop other info?

Would it be any worse than having a TP Link router for instance?
Apr 19, 2015
297 posts
312 upvotes
I have this. The timed outlets are very easy to control via the app, but there are two things I will caution you on. There is a button to turn off each outlet individually on the bar right beside the outlet itself. You will be AMAZED at how often you hit that button while removing a plug from the outlet.

Secondly, the USB ports are flimsy. They both stopped working for me about a year into owning it. I am not rough with my stuff - you could tell they felt flimsy the moment you first put one in.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21125 posts
5804 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Tiberius wrote: Can you elaborate on the "no privacy" thing? This seems to imply it would be connected to a TP-Link external server? Because that server has access insidey our home network, you are suggesting they could snoop other info?
The main concept to remember is all 'Smart Home' devices have a hub. The only question is: Where is the hub, and by whom is it controlled?

If TP-Link goes out of business, or they just decide to stop supporting Kasa products, they will lose smart functionality. And you can't do anything.

And undoubtedly, TP-Link receives, and could otherwise use or sell any information related to the use of the product and/or the app. They definitely know how you use the product, and your location. TP-Link also offers security cameras, things that can see and hear inside your home, etc. It could be used for a massive invasion of privacy.

But just because they could do it, does not necessarily mean it's actually happening.

These things do happen. Consider the case of Eufy home Smart Security Cameras and Smart Doorbells. The Eufy brand is part of Chinese company Anker, a 'trusted' brand for chargers, USB cables, etc. Eufy explicitly advertised itself as privacy-respecting, keeping your data out of the cloud. Turns out this is not entirely true - they were quietly uploading facial recognition and other image data to the cloud, and it was available without authentication. This is still a developing story.

Original video 'exposing' Eufy:

A rebuttal on why a lot of Eufy's actions are reasonable:

Getting back to the original topic of TP-Link:
Tiberius wrote: Would it be any worse than having a TP Link router for instance?
Network infrastructure obviously has access to the heart of your digital life, and that is why Huawei has been banned from a lot of countries. A router of any brand could theoretically be used to devastating effect to compromise your privacy. The only way to 'prove' that the router isn't spying would be to release the source code and analyze it. (This is one reason why pfsense exists - I'm investigating what it takes to switch over to this product.)

A hostile router is surely worse than a compromised power strip, though even a power strip could read a lot of data from your network, phone home, and even theoretically answer to remote control from the manufacturer. And if the manufacturer is in the PRC, you know who's really in control.

As for myself:
- Yes I do have several TP-Link Smart Home products, but I keep them on a segregated guest network. No access to my main network.
- I'm investigating transitioning to an open source firewall and router product: (pfsense)
- For Smart Home automation, I use Hubitat because it's locally controlled. But even this has limitations - I'm investigating a switchover to HomeAssistant, for the best in control and privacy.
- Would I use a home router from a PRC Chinese company? No. I use an ASUS router (Taiwan), which supports open-source firmware.
- Are TP-Link products a Trojan Horse? Probably not. But it will never be proven. Face With Tears Of Joy
- casual gastronomist -