• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2020 2:01 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
32 posts
47 upvotes
Huron East

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers $298

Usually, $398 but maybe $298 is the new price (looks like no sale on Amazon). I would still consider a hot deal, great speakers. [...]
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 20th, 2020 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3602 posts
1005 upvotes
Oshawa
AlexV616 wrote: Usually, $398 but maybe $298 is the new price (looks like no sale on Amazon). I would still consider a hot deal, great speakers. [...]
Huh? Using this for a center? Dude! Just go to Visions and pickup the S35 Center ... or the Polk CS10 or the Klipsch C200B.

Where is the logic of using one speaker from a bookshelf to be a center channel? Makes no sense.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jun 19th, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
16' x 11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling w/ a 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
32 posts
47 upvotes
Huron East
jdmfishingonly wrote: Huh? Using this for a center? Dude! Just go to Visions and pickup the S35 Center ... or the Polk CS10 or the Klipsch C200B.

Where is the logic of using one speaker from a bookshelf to be a center channel? Makes no sense.
Good question. KEF Q150 is widely used as a centre because it will perfectly match the timbre and the tweeter is in the middle of the speaker, just rotate the speaker.
Jul 8, 2018
43 posts
50 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Huh? Using this for a center? Dude! Just go to Visions and pickup the S35 Center ... or the Polk CS10 or the Klipsch C200B.

It makes perfect sense to have the center channel match the sound signature as your other channels. Having Klipsch or Polk Audio matched with Kefs would be mildly infuriating both sound and looks wise.
Zoomer Mobile 6 GB / Unlimited $40.50
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1407 posts
1112 upvotes
I downsized my theatre from all m&k speakers to kef q350 and q150 and have really enjoyed them for home theatre. Fantastic value.
Nov 13, 2019
155 posts
252 upvotes

Please no one listen to this post.

The centre speaker handles most of the dialogue and associated frequencies; it doesn't matter if you have something called a "centre channel" or a "bookshelf speaker" to do that job. What does matter is that the sound is consistent with your left and right speakers.

Klipsch is known to have a very bright sound and is rarely recommended to mix with non-matching Klipsch speakers in your front L/R/C

And the Polk S35 only has 3" cones... great to save space, but it won't be great to reproduce the low frequency of deep male voices properly

The KEF Q150 are probably the most common speakers to be used as L/R/C throughout due to their coaxial design and ability to be placed sideways (and because of their overall popularity).

I have Q150's for my L/R and don't have space to have a 3rd as a centre. I tried a handful of other centres, including a Polk, Definitive Technologies, and Klipsch, and having no centre ie. "phantom centre" was better than any of the three that I tried.

About the original post re the pricing of the KEF Q150's... if you're in the market, this is a steal and amazing bang for the buck. Don't hesitate to grab a pair.
Mar 3, 2020
27 posts
24 upvotes
One note about these:

They sound good, but they sound much better when they're driven harder. The bass sounds kind of dead when they're quiet.

So if you're going for a purist L/R only system with no subwoofer, give them a little bit more juice from your receiver/amp and they'll sound even better.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1938 posts
229 upvotes
NB
Any current deal/recommendations on a receiver for these?
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
32 posts
47 upvotes
Huron East
Colin0317 wrote: Any current deal/recommendations on a receiver for these?
I picked up a Denon S750H B-stock from gibby's a while ago. Pretty good discounts on perfectly good receivers
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1119 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
skrateboard wrote: One note about these:

They sound good, but they sound much better when they're driven harder. The bass sounds kind of dead when they're quiet.

So if you're going for a purist L/R only system with no subwoofer, give them a little bit more juice from your receiver/amp and they'll sound even better.
I agree they need to be loud to sound their best.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Nov 13, 2019
155 posts
252 upvotes

I don't know about current deals, but I have them paired with a Yamaha RX-V385 and it's a great combo.

If you go into Visions and act like you're just shopping around, then change your tone to make it seem like you'd actually consider purchasing on the spot, you can get some good bargains. The RX-V385 is $350 but it's often on sale for $280 or so... I'd bet you can get the Q150 with the RX-V385 together for under $575.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1119 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
A used one from kijji, varagesale...

Picked up a Sony Dn860 for $200 this week. Sounds very nice.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
32 posts
47 upvotes
Huron East
bigtuna99 wrote: Please no one listen to this post.

The centre speaker handles most of the dialogue and associated frequencies; it doesn't matter if you have something called a "centre channel" or a "bookshelf speaker" to do that job. What does matter is that the sound is consistent with your left and right speakers.

Klipsch is known to have a very bright sound and is rarely recommended to mix with non-matching Klipsch speakers in your front L/R/C

And the Polk S35 only has 3" cones... great to save space, but it won't be great to reproduce the low frequency of deep male voices properly

The KEF Q150 are probably the most common speakers to be used as L/R/C throughout due to their coaxial design and ability to be placed sideways (and because of their overall popularity).

I have Q150's for my L/R and don't have space to have a 3rd as a centre. I tried a handful of other centres, including a Polk, Definitive Technologies, and Klipsch, and having no centre ie. "phantom centre" was better than any of the three that I tried.

About the original post re the pricing of the KEF Q150's... if you're in the market, this is a steal and amazing bang for the buck. Don't hesitate to grab a pair.
Is there a special way to setup as a phantom centre? Or does that just mean using a normal 2.0 system