Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers - $298 Lowest Ever

Aug 26, 2008
833 posts
339 upvotes
Montreal
Seems like a soundbar might be the best solution for my setup. Sound won't be as good as speakers with larger drivers, but the Bose Solo 5 should fit perfectly on my desk, and the emphasis on vocal range should help when I'm watching videos or doing chats.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13863 posts
5025 upvotes
Ottawa
ssjlancer wrote: 30" might be good but fyi the kef manual will tell you 18 - 24" should be the max height speaker stand for the q150/350.
honestly I'm surprised by that recommendation. For the Q350 I can see that, but for the Q150, I think it would benefit from more height. I have similar sized bookshelf speakers and 24" was just about right with my low couch. I have a higher sitting height couch and 28" was good for watching tv and general background music. Though KEFs are more flexible in placement because their tweeters have uniform dispersion so there is more leeway. Visually I think a higher stand looks better in the room too.

This was my setup more than 10 years ago, and I chose 30" stands.
Images
  • chair 001.JPG
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sep 23, 2014
608 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
davidm wrote: Thanks, those are smaller enough that they would make a difference, and reviews are pretty good. I wish they had USB audio input, but that's not critical. Will wait for them to go on sale (their lowest price seems to be $280, quite a difference).
Kanto YU series is known for lacking bass, only their high end TUK line is the exception. So I'd recommend to pair them with a sub for a full experience. Source: I own the Kanto SYD (YU4 equivalent).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1119 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
Dr. Grinch wrote: There's a lot of love for SVS )rightfully) but people seem to be sleeping on Sunfire. They make incredible subs too that are easier to source here in Canada at a good price.
Which Sunfire for 85% music listening in a 12x12 room. Thanks
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Mar 1, 2011
57 posts
310 upvotes
Brampton
If anyone in the GTA is interested in splitting a pair of these, let me know. Looking to use one as a center. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2378 posts
714 upvotes
Calgary
warpdrive wrote: honestly I'm surprised by that recommendation. For the Q350 I can see that, but for the Q150, I think it would benefit from more height. I have similar sized bookshelf speakers and 24" was just about right with my low couch. I have a higher sitting height couch and 28" was good for watching tv and general background music. Though KEFs are more flexible in placement because their tweeters have uniform dispersion so there is more leeway. Visually I think a higher stand looks better in the room too.

This was my setup more than 10 years ago, and I chose 30" stands.
I remember reading somewhere that the usual speaker stand height is 24" so KEF tunes their speakers based on that height.

I used 24" on fronts and 30" for rears
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13863 posts
5025 upvotes
Ottawa
Asoul wrote: I remember reading somewhere that the usual speaker stand height is 24" so KEF tunes their speakers based on that height.

I used 24" on fronts and 30" for rears
24" is ok, but 18" is too low if you put a Q150 on it. Most manufacturers tune their speakers to sound best when the tweeters are near ear level. If I put Q150 on an 18" stand, I would almost be sitting on the floor (well, maybe a beanbag chair at least)
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 23, 2017
45 posts
4 upvotes
any recommendation for cheap amplifier to pair with the KEF Q150? wanted to control my budget b4 upgrading to better amp
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1119 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
silentsunami wrote: any recommendation for cheap amplifier to pair with the KEF Q150? wanted to control my budget b4 upgrading to better amp
A used reciever. And if you are on a very tight budget I suggest checking out your thrift stores.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Apr 18, 2008
524 posts
952 upvotes
BC
What speakers are those. Love that front port.
Aug 26, 2008
833 posts
339 upvotes
Montreal
silentsunami wrote: any recommendation for cheap amplifier to pair with the KEF Q150? wanted to control my budget b4 upgrading to better amp
T-Amps are a popular type of amp. Many people love them. I have a Topping TP-32 from 2012. It doesn't go very loud, but it sounds good, and the units built around these chips are very on-point to typical setups, small, efficient (you can leave it on all the time since it only consumes power when generating sound) and with lots of I/O. Compared to a used receiver, it will take up way less space, use less power, have more modern I/O (no dealing with flaky connectors or potentiometers), and probably be more reliable.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20788 posts
3134 upvotes
YUL
MandomRix wrote: What speakers are those. Love that front port.
I believe those are Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (Made in Canada). They go for about $500 on the used market.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2378 posts
714 upvotes
Calgary
warpdrive wrote: 24" is ok, but 18" is too low if you put a Q150 on it. Most manufacturers tune their speakers to sound best when the tweeters are near ear level. If I put Q150 on an 18" stand, I would almost be sitting on the floor (well, maybe a beanbag chair at least)
Yeah, I agree, 24" would be the lowest I would go, even the KEF $600 Performance Speaker Stands are 24" in height
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13863 posts
5025 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote: I believe those are Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (Made in Canada). They go for about $500 on the used market.
correct, they were around $1K new a pair at the time. I think the final MSRP was $1200 before they were discontinued. They are keepers, never selling mine.

I believe The Studio line were some of the best speakers Paradigm ever made (in terms of high quality for still a reasonable price). Even Kal, the chief editor of Stereophile used the Studio 60 V5 as his personal speakers.

I chose these because they have a front port and it's covered up when you put on the grill. Once I had a set of B&Ws, and some spiders decided to make it a home. Looked inside the rear ports and they were stuff trapped and living in there. Grossed me out.
Apr 18, 2008
524 posts
952 upvotes
BC
warpdrive wrote: I chose these because they have a front port and it's covered up when you put on the grill. Once I had a set of B&Ws, and some spiders decided to make it a home. Looked inside the rear ports and they were stuff trapped and living in there. Grossed me out.
House hippos are known to poop in back-ported speakers.