Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers - $298 Lowest Ever

Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20788 posts
3134 upvotes
YUL
warpdrive wrote: correct, they were around $1K new a pair at the time. I think the final MSRP was $1200 before they were discontinued. They are keepers, never selling mine.

I believe The Studio line were some of the best speakers Paradigm ever made (in terms of high quality for still a reasonable price). Even Kal, the chief editor of Stereophile used the Studio 60 V5 as his personal speakers.

I chose these because they have a front port and it's covered up when you put on the grill. Once I had a set of B&Ws, and some spiders decided to make it a home. Looked inside the rear ports and they were stuff trapped and living in there. Grossed me out.
Studio v5 series are legendary. After that, Paradigm went upmarket in price but could never really compete IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13892 posts
5065 upvotes
Ottawa
najibs wrote: Studio v5 series are legendary. After that, Paradigm went upmarket in price but could never really compete IMO.
Yup, some of their newer expensive speakers actually don't even measure well, which has been a Paradigm trademark at the very beginning....ruler flat FR, just like the early Energy speakers
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13892 posts
5065 upvotes
Ottawa
MandomRix wrote: House hippos are known to poop in back-ported speakers.

Damn, I should check if my house hippo left anything in there
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Dec 2, 2007
429 posts
185 upvotes
waloshin wrote: Which Sunfire for 85% music listening in a 12x12 room. Thanks
SDS-10 would probably be perfect. I have the 8 and the 12 in two different spaces. The 8 is lovely and musical and the 12 moves my goddamn floors.
Feb 3, 2013
245 posts
184 upvotes
Victoria
najibs wrote: Studio v5 series are legendary. After that, Paradigm went upmarket in price but could never really compete IMO.
My 5.1 home theatre system are the Paradigm Special Edition from 2009-10. A one series combination of Studio and Monitor line. Keepers indeed.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20788 posts
3134 upvotes
YUL
PaliGap wrote: My 5.1 home theatre system are the Paradigm Special Edition from 2009-10. A one series combination of Studio and Monitor line. Keepers indeed.
I had a pair of SE1 in Piano black finish. I think they cost me around $600 all in brand new. Great bang for the buck
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1121 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
Dr. Grinch wrote: SDS-10 would probably be perfect. I have the 8 and the 12 in two different spaces. The 8 is lovely and musical and the 12 moves my goddamn floors.
Thanks
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Jan 24, 2009
912 posts
553 upvotes
Montreal
I'm really tempted by these due to previous experience with a pair of floor standing KEFs, that I had to get rid of after a move to new digs.

Right now I have a pair of Fluance Signature bookshelfs I paid $100 for on my fireplace mantle coupled with a Polk Audio sub (only for a bit of bottom end) on my Bryston B60 integrated amp. One would think speaker positioning (4ft height and about 18" from the wall, 6 ft apart. The room is 12 x 40 with 10ft ceilings.

Generally only listening to Spotify and various FLACs through a Dragonfly DAC and sometimes CDs through a vintage Rotel. I'm generally very pleased, and when people are over they tend to say they hear things they have never heard before and are wowed by the soundstage (which I attribute to the Bryston). I would expect better highs with the KEFs but thinking they would be too high up.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Fluance bookshelf and the KEFs to tell me if I should go for it :-) as I also want to upgrade the TV and the TV audio setup.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1121 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
randomroyalty wrote: I'm really tempted by these due to previous experience with a pair of floor standing KEFs, that I had to get rid of after a move to new digs.

Right now I have a pair of Fluance Signature bookshelfs I paid $100 for on my fireplace mantle coupled with a Polk Audio sub (only for a bit of bottom end) on my Bryston B60 integrated amp. One would think speaker positioning (4ft height and about 18" from the wall, 6 ft apart. The room is 12 x 40 with 10ft ceilings.

Generally only listening to Spotify and various FLACs through a Dragonfly DAC and sometimes CDs through a vintage Rotel. I'm generally very pleased, and when people are over they tend to say they hear things they have never heard before and are wowed by the soundstage (which I attribute to the Bryston). I would expect better highs with the KEFs but thinking they would be too high up.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Fluance bookshelf and the KEFs to tell me if I should go for it :-) as I also want to upgrade the TV and the TV audio setup.
I doubt there would be a huge difference.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Oct 17, 2019
3 posts
Does anyone want to sell me an individual q150 so I can use it as a center?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1036 posts
752 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So, I purposely skipped ordering this time. In for the next time.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4607 posts
282 upvotes
Vancity
Just tested this back to back with my 15-year old Athena AS-B2.1 and was disappointed.

The KEFs definitely had more bass but it was loose and boomy. The difference in highs were night and day; the vocals on the KEFs sounded muffled in a blanket vs the Athenas

Happy of have had the comparison that my trusty Athena's can still keep up with speakers from today.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1036 posts
752 upvotes
VANCOUVER
sonick wrote: Just tested this back to back with my 15-year old Athena AS-B2.1 and was disappointed.

The KEFs definitely had more bass but it was loose and boomy. The difference in highs were night and day; the vocals on the KEFs sounded muffled in a blanket vs the Athenas

Happy of have had the comparison that my trusty Athena's can still keep up with speakers from today.
I had those speakers for many years.

Your review doesn't compare soundstage amongst other things that the kef is known for. Also, what was the configuration? You mentioned bass, so sounds like you were running subless?/
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4607 posts
282 upvotes
Vancity
b31770 wrote: I had those speakers for many years.

Your review doesn't compare soundstage amongst other things that the kef is known for. Also, what was the configuration? You mentioned bass, so sounds like you were running subless?/
Yes, I am running subless, just a 2.0 setup.

Didn't pay much attention to soundstage, it did seem wider, however because the highs were so muted the placement of vocals and other instruments are not as clearly placed/defined.