Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers - $298 Lowest Ever

Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1097 posts
426 upvotes
Regina
sonick wrote: Yes, I am running subless, just a 2.0 setup.

Didn't pay much attention to soundstage, it did seem wider, however because the highs were so muted the placement of vocals and other instruments are not as clearly placed/defined.
Haha the highs are nowhere near muffled or muted. Everyone has their own opinions...
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4595 posts
276 upvotes
Vancity
waloshin wrote: Haha the highs are nowhere near muffled or muted. Everyone has their own opinions...
Compared side by side to my existing speakers I mean.

Listening to them in isolation without anything to compare they sound great.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1097 posts
426 upvotes
Regina
Dr. Grinch wrote: There's a lot of love for SVS )rightfully) but people seem to be sleeping on Sunfire. They make incredible subs too that are easier to source here in Canada at a good price.
Where in Canada other than bestbuy can we get Surefire subwoofers?
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
May 1, 2020
2 posts
I'm very close to buying these at $398 on amazon.ca right now but can't decide between them and Klipsch RP-600M. Not a big price difference in the US, but huge difference in Canada (600M's are $850 here).

These will be mainly for hq music use (classic rock... Cream, Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath, etc). I'll use them for a home theatre too, but much more concerned about sound for music than movies.

I did a sound comparison here, but have no idea if this thing is accurate:

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M vs KEF Q150

If it is, I much prefer the brighter sounding Klipsch to the Q150's. To me it sounds much less dull and muddy. Someone else on this thread said the same and was refuted, and I was talking to someone else online who also said the Q150's sounded clearer to him. So ya I don't know.

In general I like guitar in particular to sound forward and clear, which is what I hear more on the 600M's... but I like the price and look of the Q150's better.

Is any of this "fixable" on the eq? Would adjusting the eq on the Q150's allow me to create a brighter sounding speaker?

As you can tell I'm new to this... appreciate any feedback!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4595 posts
276 upvotes
Vancity
The highs are fine on the KEFs when compared to common consumer speakers, and I'm sure people are completely happy with them when listened in isolation. Mid-range and soundstage clarity is fantastic, but the highs, in my personal experience, is not their strong suit.

Using to the 'speaker compare' function on Crutchfield that you linked, I can vouch that it fairly accurately reflects my experience when comparing the KEFs directly side by side to my speakers that are also known to be brighter. Particularly on the 'Mason Brothers - Americana' track, you can definitely tell the difference in the vocals and guitar strumming, which I described in a previous post the KEFs sounded more 'muffled' in direct comparison.
May 1, 2020
2 posts
Hmm interesting. The Klipsch's sound 10x better in my opinion on the comparison. Again I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I'm not sure how the muffled KEF sound is better for some people. Are maybe my ear just doesn't pick up what it's putting out.

Edit: how much does EQ come into play in this? If I got the KEF's and wanted them to sound brighter couldn't I just mess with the EQ a bit? Obviously it's not the same as changing the internal components of the speakers, but could make a big difference?