Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers - $298 Lowest Ever

Aug 26, 2008
836 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
Dr. Grinch wrote: I think you'd be blown away by the Kanto YU4. They're self powered too so no need for an amp.
Thanks, those are smaller enough that they would make a difference, and reviews are pretty good. I wish they had USB audio input, but that's not critical. Will wait for them to go on sale (their lowest price seems to be $280, quite a difference).
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1710 posts
608 upvotes
Thanks! I have a decent sub now (PSB Subsonic 7, quite old but it was considered quite good when it was new) but I could use a new, really nice centre channel as the one I have is decent but not super strong. I am thinking that an SVS sub is the way to go at some point if I ever have a dedicated home theatre area though.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1710 posts
608 upvotes
tmcallis wrote: <<just bought these to replace my Athena AS-B1, huge improvement!
Are these the infamous price-performance speakers from the 2000s? I seem to recall that they are really good for the money and I think I know someone that has them.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1036 posts
752 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tmcallis wrote: <<just bought these to replace my Athena AS-B1, huge improvement!
Blast from the past! I had and loved those!
Mar 8, 2013
14 posts
Anyone want to buy one speaker from the pair I just received? I just need it as a center
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4608 posts
283 upvotes
Vancity
Turns out I have the one step up Athena AS-B2 not the AS-B1.

On immediate listen back to back switching between the two, the KEFs are not obviously any better than my AS-B2.

I will have to get another set of speaker wires and directly compare them side by side to really tell the difference.

The finishing on the white KEFs look very nice though. Would be a shame if it turns out they don't sound better than my Athena and I have to return them.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1122 posts
448 upvotes
Regina
After a few days I am quite happy with the Kef Q150s. They sound great at low volume and loud.

Compared to my Jbl lsr305 they sound more clear. My 305s almost sounded muddy compared to the Q150s. And no hiss either.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Dec 2, 2007
429 posts
185 upvotes
feminazi wrote: Thanks! I have a decent sub now (PSB Subsonic 7, quite old but it was considered quite good when it was new) but I could use a new, really nice centre channel as the one I have is decent but not super strong. I am thinking that an SVS sub is the way to go at some point if I ever have a dedicated home theatre area though.
There's a lot of love for SVS )rightfully) but people seem to be sleeping on Sunfire. They make incredible subs too that are easier to source here in Canada at a good price.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3084 posts
2906 upvotes
Alberta
After ordering, then cancelling the Q150s, I nearly purchased some LS50s for my surrounds. After some more contemplation, I decided to settle and reordered the Q150s again. Now to find some stands. Any recommendations?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1426 posts
868 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Lush78 wrote: After ordering, then cancelling the Q150s, I nearly purchased some LS50s for my surrounds. After some more contemplation, I decided to settle and reordered the Q150s again. Now to find some stands. Any recommendations?
The monoprice glass stands are the best you can get for ~$100.
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Glass-F ... 474&sr=8-1

Don’t get the sanus natural or basic. They’re really light and pretty cheap looking.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3084 posts
2906 upvotes
Alberta
ssjlancer wrote: The monoprice glass stands are the best you can get for ~$100.
https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Glass-F ... 474&sr=8-1

Don’t get the sanus natural or basic. They’re really light and pretty cheap looking.
Lol damn. I heard the notification of this quote and thought that was a quick email confirmation of the order I just placed for the Sanus NF-30 stands at Best Buy. I was looking at those stands you recommended, and I do like the look of them, but it feels like 24" would be too short. The 30" stands should place the drivers at ear level.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13900 posts
5074 upvotes
Ottawa
Lush78 wrote: Lol damn. I heard the notification of this quote and thought that was a quick email confirmation of the order I just placed for the Sanus NF-30 stands at Best Buy. I was looking at those stands you recommended, and I do like the look of them, but it feels like 24" would be too short. The 30" stands should place the drivers at ear level.
yes, I would go for 28-30" stands. The Sanus stands are basic, but they'll work fine.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3084 posts
2906 upvotes
Alberta
warpdrive wrote: yes, I would go for 28-30" stands. The Sanus stands are basic, but they'll work fine.
Thank you. They seem like a good size so I'll give them a try.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1426 posts
868 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Lush78 wrote: Lol damn. I heard the notification of this quote and thought that was a quick email confirmation of the order I just placed for the Sanus NF-30 stands at Best Buy. I was looking at those stands you recommended, and I do like the look of them, but it feels like 24" would be too short. The 30" stands should place the drivers at ear level.
30" might be good but fyi the kef manual will tell you 18 - 24" should be the max height speaker stand for the q150/350.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3084 posts
2906 upvotes
Alberta
ssjlancer wrote: 30" might be good but fyi the kef manual will tell you 18 - 24" should be the max height speaker stand for the q150/350.
I also read the same about their recommendation, but I think it would just look a little strange being so low. Thank you. I appreciate your assistance.