• Oct 31st, 2020 11:56 am
[OP]
Sep 28, 2014
34 posts
49 upvotes
Huron East

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150B Bookshelf Speakers $298

On sale again! Great for the price.

If anyone wants to go halfsies on a set, I could use one as a centre channel!
Last edited by Mars2012 on Apr 3rd, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
58 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1295 posts
1020 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Damn you KEF! I resisted last time and will try my best this time!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1317 posts
848 upvotes
CALGARY
Do they come with the grills as shown in the pics?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1255 posts
596 upvotes
Regina
No grills are not included.

Also $298 sees like the real price of these.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1317 posts
848 upvotes
CALGARY
Whats a budget amp that can go with these where I can have a sub ? say like 2.1 under $100?
Aug 29, 2019
30 posts
121 upvotes
The Best Bookshelf Speakers for Most Stereos

If you can afford to spend more, take a look at the KEF Q150 bookshelf speaker set, which our panel universally preferred over all the sub-$300 competitors. The Q150 speakers sounded superior in every respect, from soundstage and detail to bass response and vocal clarity. The speakers are available in a white or black finish, and KEF sells a matching center channel and add-on Atmos speaker. Speaker grilles are not included, but magnetic grilles are available for an additional cost.

KEF uses its own Uni-Q driver design, which positions the 1-inch tweeter inside the 5¼-inch midrange driver. The timing difference between the separate tweeter and midrange drivers used on other speakers might be a fraction of a millisecond, but it’s a difference the brain can detect. In real life, voices and instruments originate from a single point, and the KEF driver better mimics this effect than a conventional two-driver system does.
As a result, music sounded more refined and defined through the Q150 set compared with cheaper models; you can easily listen to these speakers for hours without your ears growing fatigued. During complex test tracks like Beck’s “Lost Cause,” the Q150 set made it easy for us to pick out individual instruments—even easier than with the Q Acoustics 3020i. On tracks like “Giorgio by Moroder” from Daft Punk, the rear-ported Q150 pair reproduced the bass line with a depth and detail that was missing from other speakers. Overall this set captured more of the music than the less-expensive speakers did.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2635 upvotes
cec4111 wrote: Whats a budget amp that can go with these where I can have a sub ? say like 2.1 under $100?
Under $100? Buy used.

SMSL has decent ones for $170-200, Sabaj too.

I too am resisting.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2193 posts
841 upvotes
Aren't the Energy RC-10's at Gibby's better speakers for the same price?

I bought a pair and they sound fantastic for 300 bucks! Sign up for their email newsletter to get 10 bucks off your order which will help mitigate shipping costs.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
feminazi wrote: Aren't the Energy RC-10's at Gibby's better speakers for the same price?

I bought a pair and they sound fantastic for 300 bucks! Sign up for their email newsletter to get 10 bucks off your order which will help mitigate shipping costs.
Very similar specs, biggest difference being sensitivity and power rating for the energy's is higher so they should play much louder. I haven't heard the energy's, but the q150's concentric driver is something pretty special in the market and really sounds fantastic. Both are likely great speakers. Energy is also a Canadian company if that matters too some.
Feb 23, 2010
460 posts
199 upvotes
EDMONTON
antime1 wrote: Legit question. I have some bookshelf speakers I want to pair up with my PC... Why would I buy an amp like this? Why not just buy a cheap bookshelf receiver off Kijiji and use that instead? Thanks.
Size (this thing is significantly smaller than a home theater receiver) and Bluetooth 5.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
antime1 wrote: Legit question. I have some bookshelf speakers I want to pair up with my PC... Why would I buy an amp like this? Why not just buy a cheap bookshelf receiver off Kijiji and use that instead? Thanks.
You could absolutely go with a stereo component amplifier, and could probably find one off Kijiji that would fit the bill. I wouldn't be doing any Kijiji sales in this age of Corona however. Yamaha and Onkyo still make some new affordable 2 channel amps as well.

The SMSL is a nice, small package. Has a remote, built-in DAC and bluetooth. That's worth the upgrade to me. It also has an absurdly low THD.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
kiukiumoar wrote: https://www.rirasale.com/index.php?main ... _id=324663

anyone know anything about rirasale? was just googling to read up on the energy speakers people were talkinga bout and this popped up. its significantly cheaper than on any other website?
Kinda sketchy site that only got registered in March. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Kef Q350s there though.
Apr 11, 2019
219 posts
209 upvotes
Snowcrash01 wrote: Kinda sketchy site that only got registered in March. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Kef Q350s there though.
looking at the other items there... i definitely don't believe they're legit. they have speakers for 60 cents.
Zoomer Wireless - $36/month|800 Minutes|5GB Data|Unlimited Texts
Apr 1, 2020
13 posts
29 upvotes
Definitely worth it for $298! Same price at 2001 Audio Video and Visions. Audition them first if you can.
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
kiukiumoar wrote: looking at the other items there... i definitely don't believe they're legit. they have speakers for 60 cents.
I tried checking out and it just failed lol, calling my credit card now
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1255 posts
596 upvotes
Regina
Snowcrash01 wrote: Kinda sketchy site that only got registered in March. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Kef Q350s there though.
Why would you bother obviously a credit card stealing site...
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST