Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150B Bookshelf Speakers $298

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 11:56 am
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
waloshin wrote: Why would you bother obviously a credit card stealing site...
It's a credit card with a low limit that I rarely use, I put a pause on the card for a month.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1766 posts
1096 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Snowcrash01 wrote: Very similar specs, biggest difference being sensitivity and power rating for the energy's is higher so they should play much louder. I haven't heard the energy's, but the q150's concentric driver is something pretty special in the market and really sounds fantastic. Both are likely great speakers. Energy is also a Canadian company if that matters too some.
Are they even still a company. I thought Klipsch gutted them.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2635 upvotes
Snowcrash01 wrote: It's a credit card with a low limit that I rarely use, I put a pause on the card for a month.
Not only that, but your personal info, name address etc....
Mar 23, 2017
225 posts
198 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Not only that, but your personal info, name address etc....
That information is not secret nor private, remember phone books?

Was it a smart move, no. Am I concerned about it, not at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3577 posts
3577 upvotes
Alberta
Very nice speakers. I recently picked up a pair for surrounds in my 7.2.2 setup.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1255 posts
596 upvotes
Regina
Love my white Kef Q150s! Best to pair with a sub.
ghqqs1mqbdn41.jpg
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1491 posts
100 upvotes
Guelph
Great option, I use a pair at my desktop with a small subwoofer. Definitely a unique experience with the Kef range.
Amp pairing with my Q150 is the Powernode 2i but it's beyond overkill. I find they sound great with most amps, but spend a penny or two more and they scale up well.
My main speakers are now Spendors but I still find the Q150s enjoyable and capable.

Worth nothing that the Q350 seems to be the better fit for many if you're looking to use them in a dedicated stereo setup. Price is obviously different though, despite most retailers (cough, Visions) offering massive discounts from their list price. Just letting people know that in the home theatre / audio industry there is often some play on price.
Nom nom nom.
Jun 7, 2018
113 posts
119 upvotes
Complete audio noob

But besides buying these, do I need anything else?

Plan to use for desktop listening.
Sep 23, 2014
635 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Abdeals wrote: Complete audio noob

But besides buying these, do I need anything else?

Plan to use for desktop listening.
You'll need an amp since they're passive speakers. Said so in post #9
Dec 30, 2007
177 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Are these much better quality than the Edifer R1850 selling for $150 in the other thread? I'm looking for clear sound as opposed to a lot bass. R1850 are high the price, so considering which one to get for desktop computer and possibly for parent's tv. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14586 posts
5807 upvotes
Ottawa
tomaccowu wrote: Are these much better quality than the Edifer R1850 selling for $150 in the other thread? I'm looking for clear sound as opposed to a lot bass. R1850 are high the price, so considering which one to get for desktop computer and possibly for parent's tv. Thanks!
These KEF are passive speakers (there is basically no electronics in this speaker), so you need an amp with inputs, which is built into the Edifier.

These would be definitely an upgrade, because KEF is a high end speaker maker and designs and makes their own very unique drivers.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Jan 12, 2007
230 posts
64 upvotes
London
What stands do you suggest for use with these?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1491 posts
100 upvotes
Guelph
lrjm wrote: What stands do you suggest for use with these?
Varies on your application. Desktop, floorstanding or wall mounted?
Nom nom nom.
Oct 29, 2016
398 posts
242 upvotes
Looking for some floor stands for next to tv.

Really happy with the purchase. These speakers have drawn tears while most turn up my nose.
Jan 12, 2007
230 posts
64 upvotes
London
Speedv1 wrote: Varies on your application. Desktop, floorstanding or wall mounted?
Floorstanding
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1491 posts
100 upvotes
Guelph
lrjm wrote: Floorstanding
Any speaker stand will perform well.

The particular one you buy will vary on the height that you sit at. In general the principle is to get the right sized stand to have the tweeter at ear height when seated. Have someone measure where ear height is in your situation and subtract the half way point of the speaker from that (in this case that is ~6 inches).

Beyond that I'd opt for the "Amazon special" that gets it to the right height and can support the weight (12.3lbs). Some stands will offer additional features like cable routing if you want to spend extra. Pricey stands are often a better build but I'm unsure if it's worth the extra in a starter setup. Making speaker stands can be a fun DIY task that's very simple as well, if you're interested.
Nom nom nom.