[Amazon.ca] KEF Q150B Bookshelf Speakers $298

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 11:56 am
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14559 posts
5748 upvotes
Ottawa
For some reason KEF recommends 24" high stands, but I think something around 28"-32" is more ideal.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Jan 12, 2007
230 posts
64 upvotes
London
Thanks for the suggestions all. These are just going on the family room upstairs, nothing fancy needed.

Stay safe!
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10232 posts
6465 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: For some reason KEF recommends 24" high stands, but I think something around 28"-32" is more ideal.
I'm guessing that depends on the person's height (leg length, torso)...and the height of the sofa, and degree of incline?

Imagine if speaker systems have ear tracking, and will auto-adjust their positioning?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14559 posts
5748 upvotes
Ottawa
chatbox wrote: I'm guessing that depends on the person's height (leg length, torso)...and the height of the sofa, and degree of incline?

Imagine if speaker systems have ear tracking, and will auto-adjust their positioning?
Most of the time, you want the drivers to be at ear level.

If you use 24" inch speaker stands, that would put the Q150's tweeter at around 30", or 2 1/2 feet. That's pretty low....maybe if you are sitting in a beanbag chair or a very low modern style couch, then it would work out to be ear level.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker to use them on short stands since the KEFs do have great dispersion, but I do find that speakers like this look a bit better on taller stands too.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3749 posts
686 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
warpdrive wrote: For some reason KEF recommends 24" high stands, but I think something around 28"-32" is more ideal.
I think it has to do with it's dispersion pattern. My last few bookshelves have all used the same stands I made for where I sit. Stands are only 18" tall with 7% slope.
Nov 18, 2019
148 posts
59 upvotes
GTA
Perfect thread, as I am also looking for some stands. But my speaks don't have a bottom screw...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3566 posts
3568 upvotes
Alberta
ChibaK wrote: Perfect thread, as I am also looking for some stands. But my speaks don't have a bottom screw...
Gravity and the rubber pads hold them in place pretty well.
Jun 1, 2007
455 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Very interested in these for 298 but it seems like they're up to 398 now Loudly Crying Face
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1292 posts
1007 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Good, I resisted. I'll probably jump in on the best cyclical deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2430 posts
803 upvotes
Calgary
hv6478 wrote: Very interested in these for 298 but it seems like they're up to 398 now Loudly Crying Face
Wait till Friday, they seem to be rotating the sale price every other week
Jun 1, 2007
455 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up ordering a pair of Fluance SX6 as it seems that they have powerful low end for a desk 2.0 setup (according to a few reviews and especially with the DSP correction from noaudiophile) and I like that it's a Canadian company too.

That said I can't help but think that these Q150 with the same sized drivers, will be a significant upgrade over the Fluance. Any thoughts on this?
Jun 5, 2011
196 posts
404 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Can anyone recommend a decently priced wireless amp for these speakers?
Jun 28, 2007
62 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Second this - picked up a pair today from Visions. Any recommendations would be great. I'm debating the Yamaha R-N303 after reading a Wirecutter review. However, I think there may be better options out there.
Jun 5, 2011
196 posts
404 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
the_godfather30 wrote: Second this - picked up a pair today from Visions. Any recommendations would be great. I'm debating the Yamaha R-N303 after reading a Wirecutter review. However, I think there may be better options out there.
I ended up going with SMSL AD18, but so far my experience with it has been "meh". I think for the price point its ok but I'm leaning towards a proper AV receiver rather than an amp at similar price point or a little higher.
Jun 28, 2007
62 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
saurabhmotwani wrote: I ended up going with SMSL AD18, but so far my experience with it has been "meh". I think for the price point its ok but I'm leaning towards a proper AV receiver rather than an amp at similar price point or a little higher.
Let me know what you end up with. I'm questioning whether anything sub-$500 retail will do a really good job.
Jun 5, 2011
196 posts
404 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
the_godfather30 wrote: Let me know what you end up with. I'm questioning whether anything sub-$500 retail will do a really good job.
Look into Yamaha RX-V385.
Jun 28, 2007
62 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
saurabhmotwani wrote: Look into Yamaha RX-V385.
I think these need a bit more power. I'm looking at the Yamaha RN-602, Cambridge AXR-100 for BF. Hopefully I can get one of them for sub-$500. If you're set on the RX-V385, it can be negotiated down to $225 at Visions.
Jun 5, 2011
196 posts
404 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
the_godfather30 wrote: I think these need a bit more power. I'm looking at the Yamaha RN-602, Cambridge AXR-100 for BF. Hopefully I can get one of them for sub-$500. If you're set on the RX-V385, it can be negotiated down to $225 at Visions.
What about the denon avrs540bt or 750h?
Jun 28, 2007
62 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
saurabhmotwani wrote: What about the denon avrs540bt or 750h?
I haven't researched Denon. However, posts in the home audio section say that they go on sale every black friday. I think the 750H may be able to cut it but am not sure.